Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2001 1:54:10 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 3:38:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I purchased both TODAY 4/29/01[:P]. I can't put either one down. I am going to the range tomorrow and will shoot both. The DSA SA58 Carbine is tight and sweet, and the used 1997 Springfield M1A is a true battle rifle. It is heavy but feels GOOOOOOOD. I will give you a range report tomorrow. DSA will ship the SA58 to a dealer at dealer cost if you know one that will do it for you.
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 4:11:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know much about the scout, but the DSA is one sweet rifle and worth every penny.

The "FN" you were refering to, that DSA is making, is actually an STG-58 kit gun. DSA uses the best FAL blueprints, and they are Steyr blueprints, not FN.

The Austrian FAL's are superior to the Belgian FAL's, and DSA bought ALL the rights to Steyrs schematics.

The STG-58 kit guns run around $900.00-$1000.00. They are the finest of their kind. They look and shoot incredibly nice.

DSA's factory new guns, the SA-58 line, are 97% new guns, minus the stock and pistol grip. They are without a doubt the finest FAL ever made, including the original FN's and the Austrian Steyr STG-58's.

If you have an extra $1600.00 laying around,  the SA-58 will blow your mind. If a $1000.00 price tag is better, then their kit guns are the best of their class by a long shot. You just can not go wrong with a DSA. Cheap mags too.

Hopefully someone can fill you in on the Springfield scouts.

You got a win/win anyway you slice it with this purchase.

Link Posted: 4/28/2001 5:38:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 6:38:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I prefer an M1A to a FAL, but if I was to buy another battle rifle today it would be a DSA FAL simply for the cost of mags.
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 6:43:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey Devil Dog, I have a M1A Scout and it is good to go.  It is light weight and handy.  It has a forward scope mount and all you need are some weaver rings to mount an Aimpoint.  The muzzle break is loud. I have shot it out to 300 yards with an average of 3" groups.  I have the walnut stock and would suggest the fiberglass stock if you want to mount a Harris Bipod on it.  As for mags you can get them at Cole's Distributing for about 31 bucks a piece.  They have a deal of 10 mags for 310 delivered.  Can't go wrong there.  It is reliable, accurate and rugged.  I would bet my life with this weapon!

As for the DSA Carbine I have held one.  It is a quality piece and I have thought about purchasing one.  I really do not like the adjustable gas system.  It seems like another thing to worry about.  They retail here in Virgina right around 1400.  It is not bad, but I had to choose between the two, I would go with the M1A Scout. The Marines use it, and it works well in the Jungle and Artic Climates.  Sure the mags are cheaper, but even the Seals still use it for cold weather ops and have a Sniper version as well.

Just my .02.  By the way are you still in the Marines?  

Max

Look on GunsAmerica.Com to find a better price on the M1A.  You can land one for about 1300 bucks if you look around.
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 5:24:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Both have used parts.  If you want a .308 with new parts get an AR-10 carbine.  I wouldn't trade mine for anything.  Mags are more expensive but you can convert 20s easy.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 5:40:04 AM EDT
[#7]
What do you want in a rifle?
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 5:40:40 AM EDT
[#8]
I love my M1A Scout, but in this climate, it is more likely that the FAL will be banned before the M1A. If you have to wait years between major gun purchases, like me, buy the DSA.
Good luck making your choice, I am taking my Scout out today against gophers.
(Insert Bill Murray Caddyshack Rant)
"Don't worry Mr Gopher, about this .308 Battle rifle, it is much too big to use against you.
Pay no attention to the guy in the pickup bed."
[sniper]
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 5:41:53 AM EDT
[#9]
I like the Springfield Armory better.
replace the brake with a flash suppressor, if you live in a free country.
My friend had to send his DS Arms back twice because the trigger parts were defective. it would hammer follow. We called it the DSA UPS model because it spent more time on a UPS truck thn at home. He sold it.
The M1A is a better rifle in my opinion. Isreal dumped the FAL because it jammed too much in the desert.
My M1A is the best combination of reliablity, accuracy, power. The FAL is to heavy and has too many parts.
My opinion.

Link Posted: 4/29/2001 10:42:15 AM EDT
[#10]
M1A Scout, hands down.
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 1:29:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Both have used parts.  If you want a .308 with new parts get an AR-10 carbine.  I wouldn't trade mine for anything.  Mags are more expensive but you can convert 20s easy.  
View Quote

You're wrong. SA-58's do not have used parts.
98% is made by DSA and the pistol grip and stock were imported new from Austria. They also happen to be HIGHLY battle tested.
Care to document the battle history of the AR-10?

Link Posted: 4/29/2001 1:31:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
M4,
    Do you have any info on the Type 1 and 2 receivers??  The STG-58 kit guns, are they used parts, if so how used are the parts, and are the parts Austrian, Belgian, or some other make?
View Quote

These kit guns are built on DSA recievers, made new by them.

The rest of the gun is an Austrian STG-58 that has been FULLY refinished in every way. New barrels as well. You could look one over for 10 minutes and have no idea it was used. Trust me, they are REAL nice.
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 1:42:00 PM EDT
[#13]
The bottom line is this....

The FAL has been used in battle in hundreds of conflicts and wars, in dozens and dozens of different countries since it's inception. It is easily one of the most trusted and proven  battle weapons ever made. Nobody in their right mind, who knows anything about military guns could EVER dispute that.

D.S.Arms just so happens to make not only FAL's.....but the finest examples of this incredible battle rifle EVER made.

Keep in mind that some VERY talented weapons makers have tried their hands at making FAL's. The Austrians with the STG-58's(great gun), The FN FAL's, Isreal made them along with several others. These are all fine guns, some better than others. My point is that even the BEST of them aren't as good as a factory fresh DSA SA-58. It's the simple truth. Look in to how DSA does what they do and these questions will clear up real fast.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top