Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2003 6:14:39 PM EDT

Any body else read Sgt Rock and Sgt Fury comics from the 60s and 70s?

I still have a pretty good collection from that time period. As a child I taught myself to draw by copying Russ Heath illustrations from DC war comics.

Simpler times, those were.

Panzer Out

Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:24:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I read 'em in the 50's...SHOOT my achin' bones!
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:32:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll admit to reading Sgt. Rock comics when I was a youngster.  If I could justify spending the $250+ I'd be getting a set of the Sgt. Rock & Easy Company GI Joes.  

I do miss the good ole war stories of Easy Company.  (And I didn't get into EC until the 80's)
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:35:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I've started to collect a few of my favorites from the 60's. They're on Ebay under silver age comics.  I read both and I believe that Sgt. Rock had some of the best art work I've ever seen.  It was a great time. High top black tennis shoes and selling enough pop bottles to buy the latest issue of Our Army at War.  I sure miss that time of my life and I wish I could relive it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:36:48 PM EDT
[#4]
[red]HELL YEA I READ SGT.ROCK![/red]

And the Haunted Tank, Wierd War, etc.

I wonder if that has anything to do with my being in the military and fondness for weapons.....
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:10:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I wonder if that has anything to do with my being in the military and fondness for weapons.....
View Quote

I know that's what led me to join the army. It also contributed to a lifelong fascination with WWII and guns.

Panzer Out

Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:16:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Sgt. Rock Fury and the Howling Commandos?
Yup.
[cigar clamped in teeth]EAT LEAD KRAUT![/cigar clamped in teeth]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:45:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, I learned a lot about WWII from Sgt. Rock of Easy Company.

What was the name of the M-4 Tank Destroyer that was haunted by Gen. Jeb Stuart's ghost? That was another favorite of mine back in the 50s.

Eric The(Nostalgic)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 4:09:07 AM EDT
[#8]
My favorite thing in Sgt Rock comics is when someone would pop the turret off a panzer with a pineapple frag grenade (POWWW!)or with a 3.5 bazooka (WABOOM!)  Lots of red and yellow ink used in creating the flames those grenades would produce.  I'm sure many a grunt wished he had some of those grenades!

Didn't the Haunted Tank crew have a Grant /Lee tank in a few issues?
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 4:14:14 AM EDT
[#9]
damn...my failing memory!

i thought the tank was a sherman. i remember the the grey 'ghost' of jeb giving advice/warnings to the crew.

[rock]get that bar running![/rock]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:42:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Normally they had a Sherman, however in the stories that take place in North Africa, they had something else before the Sherman came into widespread use.  I'm thinking it was an M3 Grant/ Lee variant.  They were pretty good about continuity.  Even though the crew changed from time to time, if they did a story that takes place during a certain location/ period, the crew roster would be correct according to previous issues.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:48:50 AM EDT
[#11]
I read those all the time.  Loved 'em.  As a li'l tyke I wanted to get in on the action.  I remember being disappointed when I found out the war was over long before I was born!
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:59:51 AM EDT
[#12]
I loved those!!!  My mom would buy them for me to encourage me to read.

Conan The Barbarian was the only other comic I read.  I don't think they make comics like that any more, though I've never checked beyond the local drug store.

Wish I still had my colection.  I had no idea they would be worth more than $0.35 ea. some day.

Kent
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:59:59 AM EDT
[#13]
My memory has all but forgot [V] so I did a search and NOW I remember.

[img]http://jl.toonzone.net/easycompany/easyco1.jpg[/img]
Sgr Rock, Easy Co. AND their Super Hero Black friend Spandex Man!...Spandex Man!
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:14:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
[red]HELL YEA I READ SGT.ROCK![/red]

And the Haunted Tank, Wierd War, etc.

View Quote

Are you my brother?

I read the same ones, too. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:17:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yeah, I learned a lot about WWII from Sgt. Rock of Easy Company.

What was the name of the M-4 Tank Destroyer that was haunted by Gen. Jeb Stuart's ghost? That was another favorite of mine back in the 50s.

Eric The(Nostalgic)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

That wasn't a M4 they had. It was a Stewart (or was it Stuart) medium tank. M2, was it?

But I can't come up with the name.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:20:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Absolutly some of the best comics made.Who can forget sgt. rock and the rest of easy co. Ice cream soldier, shortround and longround, bulldozer,rock was walking hell with his thompson.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:29:34 AM EDT
[#17]
I enjoyed Sgt Rock as a kid, & I remember reading The Rawhidw Kid, & Sad Sack comics as part of my child hood also. Brings back lots of old memories.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:47:48 AM EDT
[#18]
I have one Sgt Rock / Batman crossover that is one of my favorites.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:49:44 AM EDT
[#19]
I remember them well, Sgt Rock of Easy Co., Sgt Nick Fury and the Howling Commandos, the Haunted Tank (an M3 Stuart commanded by a guy named Jeb) and a few others.  Simpler times, when there were fewer shades of gray.
 No wonder I am a gun freak. Ops
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:54:43 AM EDT
[#20]
who could forget?

[img]http://www.proudrobot.com/hembeck/title-sgtrock.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:13:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Actually the first issues of Haunted tank were M-5 Stuarts. They went to the M-3 for a bit. It had the M-5 turret on top and then a right side mounted 75mm..later issues they were in the M-4. I wish I had all of my old ones. Loved those comic books. I can get them locally from a used book store but can't justify the cost right now.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 9:32:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Joe Kubert was (is?) a great pencil artist (for comics). he had a dark, scratchy, high-contrast style that made Sgt Rock great. The first Hawkman comics also benefitted from his style.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 9:47:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:14:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Anyone remember Rock's old nemesis [b]The Iron Major[/b], whose iron hand bitch-slapped Rock halfway across the [b]Forest of Forgotten Skulls[/b] before Rock escaped his mountaintop prison?  That was a great series!
View Quote

I remember the Iron Major; he used an artillery Luger in one comic with an 8 inch barrel and a drum magazine sticking out of the grip.

How about when Rock went to the Pacific to train a bunch of slack NCOs in the fine art of jungle patrol? That was a good series that lasted for several issues. I remember Rock making a hang glider out of a parachute and launching an air strike off a cliff using hand grenades for bombs. Awesome!

There was talk a few years back of a Sgt. Rock movie with either Arnold Schwartzenegger or Bruce Willis playing the lead role. Haven't heard anything more about it. With computer animated graphics I bet they could make a terrific Sgt Rock movie.

Trivia question of the day: What was Rock's first name?

Panzer Out

Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:00:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Anyone remember Rock's old nemesis [b]The Iron Major[/b], whose iron hand bitch-slapped Rock halfway across the [b]Forest of Forgotten Skulls[/b] before Rock escaped his mountaintop prison?  That was a great series!

Also, the first anti-racism comic I ever read was a Sgt. Rock where a racist nazi and a black GI had boxed professionally before the war (maybe in the Munich olympics?), and have a rematch "mano-y-mano" while the war rages around them.  The whole time they are slugging it out the Nazi keeps taunting "the color of your blood is black!  Say it!  The color of your blood is black!"  At the end, of course, the GI knocks the crap out of the Nazi and captures him, brings him back to the US lines, and the Nazi has lost so much blood that he needs a blood transfusion.  Guess who is the only person there whose blood matches the Nazi's blood type?  The color of his blood is [b]RED[/b].

That was pretty powerful stuff when I was 8 years old.  Too bad I'm less openminded now than I was then.
View Quote

I vaguely remember that specific episode, but not too clearly.

I DO remember him in the late 50s and early 60s. The Pacific war was fought by 'Gunner and Sarge'.

As far as openminded, I guess I have simply refused to let my mind close. I guess that's what has me what I am today.

pic out.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:58:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:42:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top