Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2003 2:42:40 PM EDT
I am doing a major remodel on my bathroom. The room has been gutted to the studs. Next to the bathroom are the stairs. I have converted this area into a small gun room. It would be very easy to tap off the water lines in the bathroom and run a line into this room. Would it be wise to install a fire sprinkler? This is also where I store most of my ammo and do not want it catching fire. Springler heads are cheap so it would only cost about $25 for this mod.

The walls of the room are lined with 2 sheets of 5/8" thk drywall. I have also started put 14 gauge steel over the sheet rock.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 3:04:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Check this site out.

[url]http://www.homefiresprinkler.org/hfsc.html[/url]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 4:25:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 9:21:43 AM EDT
[#3]

I'd highly recommend that you get and read a copy of NFPA 13D, which regulates installion of sprinklers in the home.  Although, like Polyak said, its not required, it still provides a lot of good information that you may want be aware of.

One thing I would highly recommend is:

- Make sure to design your sprinkler system such that there are no or little "deadhead" areas in the pipes going to the sprinkler.  This will reduce water going stale or bad in your home water system by flushing it out whenever you use the water.

My .02.

Merlin
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 9:33:28 AM EDT
[#4]
How would I route the plumbing line to make sure there are no dead head areas.

Thanks

john
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 9:41:56 AM EDT
[#5]
It would also be nice to have an easy shutoff, as well as a cleanout for flushing.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 5:07:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:32:19 AM EDT
[#7]
I also am installing a sprinkler system in my own home.  I installed a check valve to the sprinkler system so I would get no backfeed into the drinking water system, and when completed, I intend to pressurize the system with compressed air @ the water line pressure.  This will create a 'dry pipe' system so that if I lose the heat in the winter the sprinkler system will not freeze.
 Read Bulletin 13 anyhow, it has many good design tips and may even prompt you to do the rest of the house.  Ever see a wood frame house after a 20 minute fire?  Not much left...  Ops
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top