Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2003 2:27:49 PM EDT
...and he's coming out to my house tomorrow. Who else has talked to a recruiter here recently?
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 3:04:43 PM EDT
[#1]
From what I understand about these recruiters is that they try to get you to VOLUNTARILY sign up for military service!

Imagine the nerve of that?

Last time I talked to a recruiter was last March and the next thing you know I am in OCS for the National Guard getting treated like a damned shower shoe again.

I guess I will never learn will I?
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 3:09:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Ask for everything he promises you in writing before you sign.

At at least thats what I have been told recently.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 3:25:39 PM EDT
[#3]
If army is what you want, go get it! If you want to learn a skill that is TRANSFERRABLE to and USABLE in the real world, GO NAVY.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 3:26:27 PM EDT
[#4]
The first thing you should do; write this down now, is ask him if he has the phone number for the Air Force recruiter![;D]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 3:29:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Lazy bastard hasnt called me yet!

That said, I intend to do ROTC, my transferable skill will be leadership.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 3:44:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If army is what you want, go get it! If you want to learn a skill that is TRANSFERRABLE to and USABLE in the real world, GO NAVY.
View Quote

Yea, lots of transferable skills to be learned in deck division. I mean look in the paper and there are tons of jobs for people who can chip paint, put a rhib in the water, and stay awake for long periods of time.

ALL SERVICES teach skills that are TRANSFERRABLE to and USABLE in the real world, along with skills that are not. A Navy IT is no differant than an Army 74B, Marine 4068 or an Air Force 2E2X1. What it all boils down to is what the individual wants to get out of the service to include tangible and intangibles. The important thing is to serve your country, especially in these trying times.

I wish the younf man the best regardless of what he chooses.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 3:50:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm doing a little research myself, looking at Air national guard.

a little recruiting info.
[url]http://www.todaysmilitary.com/explore_recruiters.shtml[/url]

also [url]http://usmilitary.about.com[/url] Has some GREAT info on almost any of the MOS's and AFSC's as an example here is what im looking at for ANG... [url=http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/afjobs/bl1a2x1.htm]AFSC 1a2x1[/url] they even tell where you can be located for active duty regular airforce for each job..im sure it is same for Army.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 3:53:58 PM EDT
[#8]
for the love of God, go Air Force or go Navy!!!

my years in the army infantry qualified me for a job at Mickey D's or a security "job".

unless you've just gotta go kill somebody, and you you're willing to tolerate the insane amount of bullshit they're going to throw at you, get yourself some real skills.  

notice that i didn't mention college.  college is fine if you're going to be a lawyer or doctoer, or someone who makes a shitload of $$$, but otherwise it would be in your best intersts to get some REAL job experience.  i can't cun the amount of idiots running around with completely worthless degrees in politically correct subjects.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 4:01:50 PM EDT
[#9]
The Army is way too PC. If I were going into service I'd much rather go into the Marines, perhaps the Air Force.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 4:05:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
for the love of God, go Air Force or go Navy!!!

my years in the army infantry qualified me for a job at Mickey D's or a security "job".

unless you've just gotta go kill somebody, and you you're willing to tolerate the insane amount of bullshit they're going to throw at you, get yourself some real skills.  

notice that i didn't mention college.  college is fine if you're going to be a lawyer or doctoer, or someone who makes a shitload of $$$, but otherwise it would be in your best intersts to get some REAL job experience.  i can't cun the amount of idiots running around with completely worthless degrees in politically correct subjects.
View Quote

Thank you for your service. No offense but you should have thought about it a little bit before you went infantry. I signed up with the Marine Corps Jan 31 1997. I got in a fight in school, got suspended for a week, went straight from the principles office to the recruiters office. By the next afternoon I was signed up as the newest 0311 to be! After some serious thought to waht I'd do when I got out I decided that I did NOT want to be a security guard at the local mall. After 12 months of fucking around to try and get 0311 changed to 02XX with no luck I was dropped from USMC DEP and enlisted in the Army as a 98XL. EVERYTHING was in writing, Military Intelligence, Bonus, G.I. Bill, Guaranteed duty station. The Army is the ONLY service (to the best of my knowledge) that will give you that IN WRITING. How can they do that? Simple We're the largest service, we have room to wiggle in manning and job fields. If you're dead set on another service by all means do it, that said Fook the Navy, Air Farce, and the Marines. [:D] You won't have the same opportunities as you will in the Army. Whatever you decide sleep on it, it's a big decision.

HOOAH!
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 4:17:22 PM EDT
[#11]
If you want to go in the service, and be guaranteed good friends, good training, and these days, some good deployments, then go 11 series.  Youll learn more about yourself and your limits then anywhere else.  Ive been 11B for 9 years, 11M for 3 before that, I couldnt imagine anything else.  As far as skills go, hell, everyone should be able to employ and adjust direct and indirect fires, shoot, move AND communicate.  
Seriously, they give you like a zillion bucks to go to school.  Hell you can take F%cking year off, and go to school.  11B, go blue.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 4:22:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you want to go in the service, and be guaranteed good friends, good training, and these days, some good deployments, then go 11 series.  Youll learn more about yourself and your limits then anywhere else.  Ive been 11B for 9 years, 11M for 3 before that, I couldnt imagine anything else.  As far as skills go, hell, everyone should be able to employ and adjust direct and indirect fires, shoot, move AND communicate.  
Seriously, they give you like a zillion bucks to go to school.  Hell you can take F%cking year off, and go to school.  11B, go blue.
View Quote

Care to tell us just what the living hell the 11 series is?

Special Forces?
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 4:26:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Infantry. SF is 18 series.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 4:29:31 PM EDT
[#14]
yeah, sorry about that.
11B Light Infantry
11M Mech
11C Mortar
11H TOW/javelin

Edited to say:
as long as you go combat arms, youll have a good time...
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 4:52:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Infantry!

Q(11B)S
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 5:00:36 PM EDT
[#16]
if your under 18 dont let him rail you into early enlistment, you should be an adult to make the decesion imho
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 5:06:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I was a surveyor in the Army.  I got out and got a job making $10.00 an hour.

That was back in the mid 70's.

Almost stuck with surveying but decided to use my GI bill.  

That skill augmented my GI bill cash quite nicely over the course of my college years.  Still comes in handy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top