Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2003 8:47:54 AM EDT
I'm lookin at a `94 and a `96 Dodge 1500.

Are they good?  Anything in particular to look out for?

Would you recommend something elde?  Why?

Lookin to spend $5k or less.

Thanks in advance!
Scott
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:06:15 AM EDT
[#1]
go to bitchaboutit.com i think thats the address

i heard that some of the early models had transmission problems
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:13:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Some of them did have transmission problems.  Also, watch out for the front brakes, Dodge doesn't put the low brake warning (chirper) on the front pads.  If you find out like I did (40k) you have to get rotors also.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 10:47:49 AM EDT
[#3]

I see a lot of them come to my shop for brake work at around 60k, and they never need jus basic brakes: they always need rotors and drums; pads and shoes hit metal before the driver knows what hit 'em. Average brake job is around $600.

Transmissions are very sensitive to preventive maintenance. Make sure the fluid and filter was changed every 30k or you will be putting a transmission in it.

Panzer Out

Link Posted: 5/21/2003 5:28:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Bump for the wisdom of the night crew.

Thanks for the answers so far!
Scott
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 5:45:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I personally won't get a car that is older than a 1995 model because of the Air Conditioning hassle with R12 vs R134a.
I am not saying all pre-95 cars are R12....just check into it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top