Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2003 12:07:24 AM EDT
this weekend.  A Berkeley native, born and bred, no less!  She's in town for business and a friend of the little lady's.  I took her on a camping trip in West By-God Virginia this past weekend and she was absolutely slack-jawed.  She's never seen a gun outside of a police holster before.  She's a hottie, too.

So, what should I start her out on?  I'm thinking the M-1 Carbine.  It's pretty non-threatening in appearance, yet fun to shoot and with no recoil.  Plus, after she's done, I can pop the fact that she just shot an "assault rifle" on her.  Then I break out the Colt MT.  I've many other options.  Suggestions?
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 12:13:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Be sure to take stuff that will be fun and EASY to shoot.  Bring along eye and ear protection for her.  Tell her not to wear anything low cut as to avoid the "dance of hot ass brass".  I'de take along some reactive targets too.  Nothing brings neewbies into shooting like being able to hit your targets early on....so bring along a .22 lr pistol and rifle if you got them.  Be very sure they are not going to get chewed by the weapons.....nothing scares a neewbie away like having blood drawn early on!!  Make it fun and make it safe!!!
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 12:19:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Roger on non-paper targets.  I'm already collecting cans.  Good call on the low cut stuff, although generally with women, I feel that fewer clothes are better.

I'm going to keep a Remington Speedmaster and a Ruger Bearcat at the ready, although I feel that my Carbine and Smith .357 w/.38's should quell the low-recoil urge.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 12:45:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Load up some really light .38 specials using the 148 gr wadcutters.  The people I take out seem to do well with those....they're a great light load.  Sounds like you got it covered....have fun too.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 12:48:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Roger on non-paper targets.  I'm already collecting cans.  Good call on the low cut stuff, although generally with women, I feel that fewer clothes are better.
View Quote

Don't be a fool, wrap your tool!  That being said, Have fun, and let her shoot a lot.  The more the merrier.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 1:50:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Bring a camera.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:17:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Emphasize safety and competitive (Olympic?)shooting, I think.  There's a thread to which I contributed months ago 'bout a "blind date" and a kid who was taking a girl out on a 1-time only date in which there was lots of good advice.  If you can find it, then you may benefit from much of the info provided there.  In that thread would be my complete response.  If someone has a quick link, then they'd be a fine gentleman to pass it along here.
Best of luck.  Guns aren't inherently dangerous, you (and she) ought to know.  
Otherwise, stick with something relatively quiet and low-recoiling and accurate and benign looking.  Be the finest of examples, and don't touch alcohol at any time during the outing.
IMHO
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 5:48:28 AM EDT
[#7]
You need to convince her that you are competant with firearms.  This will make her feel more safe around those evil guns.

Give her an apple, tell her to take 20 paces and then balance it on her head.  Once you shoot the apple off her head without hurting her, she will trust you lots more.

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:16:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:25:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Pics please
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:46:04 AM EDT
[#10]
I agree that you should feed her mostly .22lr.  A .38 is light to us but for her it'll be too much. You said she's a hottie, which implies that she's pretty small, or at least trim, which means she's not a recoil trap. My wife's pretty slim but she's tall, 5'10" and she doesn't like 38's in my 357 so be careful of those.

Also KEEP it short,  newbies don't have the tolerance for it we do, it's a mental strain on them to be around firearms for the first few times. It's like the first time you go in a plane, it might be fun but it's also mildly stressfull. If you shoot too much, she'll never go again.  Leave with her not quite ready to go, and she'll come back again and again.

Other than that, pretty good advice though. Reactive targets, EYE AND EAR protection and overly exagerated safety precautions to allay fears.

Good luck, take some pictures for us. This crew will always enjoy a picture of a hot liberal with a gun....
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:17:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top