Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2003 7:31:13 PM EDT
While listening to the radio today they mentioned the alert level was raised to orange, and a terror attack was possible. They also had an interview with someone about terror attacks, and the guy said he didn't think that Al Queda had the resources or people to pull off a large Sept 11 type attack, but a small bomb or small arms attack would be possible.

Which got me to thinking, Would a terrorist small arms attack that might be stoppable by citizens with guns, actually help gun owners out in the long run by making more people want to protect themselves, or would it backfire terribly for us and have the grabbers REALLY mad and make them come after us 10x as hard.

Would something like this prompt MORE gun legislation if handguns were used in combo with ak's and ar's?

I would think that with common sense this would be the prime example of why banning AW's from law abiding citizens does no good, since Terrorists are the very definition of lawless criminals who could care less about what the laws regarding [i]anything[/i] are.

Your thoughts?
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 7:47:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I think an attack in a mall by 3-4 terrorists with guns and explosives, if stopped by 2 or 3 legally carrying CCW holders just as the terrorists started shooting but before they set off the bombs I think it would help us
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 7:58:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I think an attack in a mall by 3-4 terrorists with guns and explosives, if stopped by 2 or 3 legally carrying CCW holders just as the terrorists started shooting but before they set off the bombs I think it would help us
View Quote

Well, forget that happening in Chicago, as only [b]TERRORISTS[/B] are allowed to have guns there.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 8:05:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I can see it now I drop three of these assholes in a mall at Christmas (our holy time) and I get arrested for carry in NJ.
( I would still do it to protect myself and innocents,but it would suck losing my RKBA)

Hey ya think I would get a Presidential pardon?
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 8:09:40 PM EDT
[#4]
i think it would 'help'....just like after 9/11 with gun sales exploding/control groups shutting their mouths(temporarily)etc....that said, if 3 or 4 terrorists legally bought a couple of AR's and killed a bunch of ppl., that would obviously be bad
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 8:28:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Well as we see in another thread, criminals are now running rampant in Iraq and the Iraqis are arming themselves to the teeth.

So I think more people would want guns.  Something happened to the American psyche on 9/11.  No longer do people rely on the authorities to protect them.  Now more people are taking measures to care for themselves and their own defence.  If there was one good thing to come out of 9/11, that is it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:36:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Seeing that terrorists will most likely strike a largely poplulated area where it is illegal to carry CCW and no one will come to the rescue with a firearm I would say no.  Another attack will only support the patriot act and other laws infringing on our rights.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 10:09:17 PM EDT
[#7]
No terrorist attack helps the American way of life. It will always be distorted to gain political value. In other words, it will always be used to generate fear voters. That is always a bad thing for RKBA.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 10:27:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
No terrorist attack helps the American way of life. It will always be distorted to gain political value. In other words, it will always be used to generate fear voters. That is always a bad thing for RKBA.
View Quote

Sad to say, BustinCaps is exactly right. No matter what happened, the antis & the media would twist it into another excuse for more restrictive gun laws. Just like A**hole Schumer crying after the WTC bombings that more gun control would have prevented terrorists from using box cutters to hijack airplanes.

Link Posted: 5/20/2003 11:13:50 PM EDT
[#9]
god, can they really be that stupid? Anyone with just a little common sense would see there is ZERO connection between law abiding gun owners and TERRORISTS.
it sucks to hear that :(
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 4:07:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Last time I heard anything about intercepted terrorist communications, they are more likely to travel unarmed to draw less attention.  If they get pulled over and searched, there would be less reason to be searched any further if unarmed.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 4:16:00 AM EDT
[#11]
A small arms terrorist attack won't sway anyone either way. Those who are pro-gun will remain pro-gun, those who are anti-gun will remain anti-gun. Those who are undecided will remain undecided.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 4:29:18 AM EDT
[#12]
I think it would depend on the circumstances.  No matter what, the antis would use it to bash us.  The unknown is how well we respond and how effective a case we can make to rebut their stupidity.  What would be important would be the perception of the general public and the results of the shootout.

Ideally, the engagement would be short and sweet, with the perps becoming room temp and no innocents hurt.  That would, I think play into our favor greatly.  In Israel, many folks carry and aren't afraid to use their weapon.  Just last year a young soccer mom pushing her baby in the stroller while shopping for groceries popped a bomber about to blow the hell out of the market.  She saw what was going down, walked up behing him and shot the scumbag in the noodle from behind with her pistol.

IF one of us got into it with the badguys and lots of bystanders got hit...especially by our fire, we would pay dearly in the media, even if the perps got it too.  That does bother me, because I carry daily and I'm always worried that somebody is going to freak out if they see me draw my weapon in response to a terrorist.  I go over it in my head...how to get them to be quiet and stay the hell out of the way...but there's always that 10% who are either busybodies and try to interfere or are so terrified of guns they impede my ability to successfully win the gunfight.  Hopefully, I won't have to fight...but I will not be a victim.  I know a P-99 ain't much against an AK-47, but I will fight back.  Who knows?  I might get lucky and whack one of the bastards.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 4:40:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top