Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2003 5:01:38 PM EDT
So I was thinking about the idea of free speech and the 1st Ammendment to the Bill of Rights. Basically, as I interpret it, the 1st Ammendment ONLY protects the people of the United States from the GOVERNMENT. For example, if a private university wants to squash a student from making a statement, they CAN because it's a private organization. I always hear people babble on about free speech and being silenced by private organizations, but technically you are NOT protected in that environment. Am I right? I want to know what everyone thinks, I was just doing some pondering.

Fly-Navy
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 5:11:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Its being allowed to stand on a street corner and say pretty much whatever you think of, or would like.

It does not mean you have the right to do things such as get a  radio show, tv show, to take the mic at a student assembly, or get on the intercomm at work.

Aviator
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 5:11:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 5:48:47 PM EDT
[#3]
go to an Air Force base and yell "bomb!" and see what happens...but your on the right track
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 5:50:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I've always understood the idea of free speech as freedom of the press, that is, the ability of people to comment on and criticize the government.  Part of the checks and balances of a democracy.

As noted, it's not about your right to say anything you want to, anywhere you want to say it.  There is no such thing as the *completely unrestricted* expression of ideas without consequences, or with some kind of special protection.  

It's not a license to be an asshole, either...
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:33:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Actually the 1st amendment was not created so you can yell stuff out on the street corner. It was created so media outlets could tell the truth about what is going on in the government so that individuals could make educated political decisions. Too bad it hasn't really worked out that way.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:53:02 PM EDT
[#6]
The Gospel According to Piccalo defines freedom of speech as being the right to shout 'Theatre!' at a crowded fire, something I got arrested for in the early 70s.

I was exonorated in court the following day and the judge actually called the arresting officer a 'chowderhead' in court and gave him a serious reprimand.

I also got a lecture from the judge telling me it was NOT ok to shout 'fire!' in a crowded theatre, but he aslo admitted that I probably knew that. I did.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 11:31:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I've shouted "Fire in a crowded theater!" a lot of times and nothing ever happened to me.

TS
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 12:02:43 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd shout something in a theatre, but my voice is way too distinctive.
Everybody in there would know that I did it.

And to keep this on subject,
the 1st is just like the 2nd, only those who care about freedom give a damn about it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 12:05:57 AM EDT
[#9]
You mean I cant hi-jack the intercom at work Aviator? Oops!
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 4:42:49 AM EDT
[#10]
The way it should be is if you want a computer, radio transmitter or megaphone you must be fingerprinted, have your photo taken, get a CLEO to sign and form, pay a $200 tax to the FCC and wait up to 6 months for approval before you can have the NCA (National Communications Act) device transferred.

Pens and pencils should be limited to one of the following features: refillable ink cartridge, mechnical lead, eraser or rubber grip. These have no creative writing purposes (which is what the 1st amendment covers).

Writing devices which can write in more than one type of ink (black and red in same pen) should be classified and destructive devices.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 4:58:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Well, just to paly devils advocate for a second,...

If the 1st only allows you to have guns in the eyes of the federal government, states and counties can take them away (Rights and guns) anytime they want.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:17:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Well, just to paly devils advocate for a second,...

If the 1st only allows you to have guns in the eyes of the federal government, states and counties can take them away (Rights and guns) anytime they want.
View Quote

Just to play pedant for a second...the 1st doesn't protect the RKBA, the 2nd does.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:39:17 AM EDT
[#13]
How can an individual be convicted of "civil rights violations"?
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:46:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The way it should be is if you want a computer, radio transmitter or megaphone you must be fingerprinted, have your photo taken, get a CLEO to sign and form, pay a $200 tax to the FCC and wait up to 6 months for approval before you can have the NCA (National Communications Act) device transferred.

Pens and pencils should be limited to one of the following features: refillable ink cartridge, mechnical lead, eraser or rubber grip. These have no creative writing purposes (which is what the 1st amendment covers).

Writing devices which can write in more than one type of ink (black and red in same pen) should be classified and destructive devices.
View Quote

Clever.
Will add some of this to my repertoire.
Thanks.
IMHO
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:22:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Some interesting replies here. I think today's society believes that unrestricted free speech is carte blanch (did I use that right?). Basically, they think they can run their mouth off without consequence, whether it be public or private. Basically, for example, they don't understand that you can't go into, say, a corporation, and run your mouth off and then say "Free Speech!".

I liked the sarcasm about restricting pens and such. Too bad that is lost on most anti-RKBA.

Fly-Navy
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:50:30 AM EDT
[#16]
yelling "movie" in a crowded firehouse

Basically the ammendments were to limit govt. not the interactions between private citizens
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:41:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You mean I cant hi-jack the intercom at work Aviator? Oops!
View Quote

I paged myself on the company intercom once.

Left a lot of people scratching their heads trying to figure that one out.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:53:52 PM EDT
[#18]
You've got the gist of it.

Funny how people yelled fredom of speech because of the backlash. For whatever reason I don't like an actor or musician I have the right not to buy the music or see the movie.

That's not blacklisting, that's freedom!
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:56:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Your right in your thinking. The first amendment doesn't protect your job if you call your boss a MFer, however you can't be arrested for calling him a MFer.
Its just like the second ammendment, when taken in context it keeps the government from being able to prohibit you from obtaining guns, but just like the FCC it will regulate and set up plenty of rules and hoops that you have to jump through if you want a full auto, silenced AR with a M203 grenade launcher and some HE rounds.
Basically you can do whatever you want as long as it doesn't infringe on other peoples rights and you pay the appropriate taxes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top