Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2003 3:23:58 PM EDT
I was stationed in Korea many years ago. I had tried many things in many places. One thing that has stuck with me over the years is my love for Kimchee. For those that have no idea what i'm talking about, Kimchee is a mixure of napa cabbage, scallions, garlic, red pepper, salt, msg and a few other things. It is mixed in large quantities and stored in large clay pots. It does not rot as some people think, but ferments or pickles itself. It is an aquired taste but if you like spicey foods it is very addictive. Kimchee is eaten by every Korean for almost every meal. For those that have been stationed in Korea know about sweating garlic. Is there anyone else here that suffers from my affliction/addiction?
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 3:27:44 PM EDT
[#1]
NOOOOOOOO!!![puke]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 3:29:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Its an aquired taste.  But its interesting to see older gents by themselves in Korean restaurants eating it.  Most of these guys were like you stationed in Korea and got the bug.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 3:32:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Kimchee toxon ipodah!

I get it at the Teriyaki joints here in Seattle, most of them cary it as most owners are Hangul.  

Out of all the different kinds I know & like the ?Potato? Kimchee the best. Little hard white squares. The regular 'salad' lookin kimchee isnt my favorite, but if made just right is very good.

Ahjimah? Kimchee E-sayoh?
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 3:40:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Aha!!! I knew I wasn't the only one. Come on now fess-up.....Garlic breath
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 3:42:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I live here in CA, and have like 20 Korean friends. They tricked me into eating like 15 pieces of kimchee at once!! HOLY COW!! My mouth was on fire for about 1 hour!! That stuff is HOT!!! Never touched the stuff after that. Plus, for me anyway, Korean food doesn't fill me up enough. I can eat sooooo much, but still be hungry.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 3:43:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, you can keep the cabbage version, but I dig the potato version and the cucumber version. Yummy stuff indeed. Now if I could only find someone around here who made good hot & spicy pork w/ veggies all would be right in the world.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 3:43:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 3:49:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I was stationed in Korea for 5 years and married to a Korean for 11 years.  It took me about a year of smelling Kimchee before I could even taste it and like it.  Once you gt past that point there is no looking back.  One of my favorite meals/side dishes is cabbage or cucumber kimchee with rice.  I am no longer married to a Korean so I have to find a good korean restaraunt to get my Kimchee "fix".
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 3:52:07 PM EDT
[#9]
MMmmmmm Kimchee is awesome!!! By itself or some bulgokee and rice. Yummy!!!
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 3:55:26 PM EDT
[#10]
TRW

Where were you stationed?

I was stationed at Camp Laguardia in uijongbu.

Just wondering..
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 4:05:44 PM EDT
[#11]

"An yay ah say oh, Adishee!"

I was at 2nd Inf Div at Camp Casey and Divarty at Camp Stanley. Never aquired a taste for it myself but I had two old Koreans that worked for me in my motor pool. You could smell them coming a mile a way: a pungent combination of Soju and Kimchee!

Panzer Out

Link Posted: 5/20/2003 4:09:54 PM EDT
[#12]
hell yea!
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 4:15:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Kimchee is eaten by every Korean for almost every meal.
View Quote

Get close to one and you can smell, I mean tell.

Lots of time in Korea, from the DMZ to Pusan, but I never aquired the taste. Soju, however, is another story.

Eddie
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 5:00:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Hell yeah, and I thought that I was the only one who liked it.

First Tank!! Camp Casey.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 5:23:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Lol

It is interesting to see as a radical Korean who doesn't eat Kimchee very much. I only like it with some other Korean soups...but anyway, it does smell if you eat it too much!
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 5:29:43 PM EDT
[#16]
I had a Korean buddy in college.
He took me to his home one day.
His momma couldn't speak a word of english, BUT THAT WOMAN COULD COOK!
Sangmon, my buddy, would tell me how much she liked cooking for that "Big Man" (6'4',240). Momma never could say my name "Bill".......I was always "Big Man".
Kimchee.......WONDERFUL!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 5:33:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Jake;
Man, I love the stuff & keep a couple of jars in the fridge at all times.  My daughter (8-years old) has been eating it since she was 5.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 5:39:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Kimchee I ju jo-aeo!
"I love Kimchee"
Kimchee e-soy-o?
"Is there Kimchee"
Peg-O-pa!
"I am hungry"
Kimchee is my secret love. When I was stationed at Camp Stanley near Uijongbu I used to eat it almost every day. My roommates hated it cause I would sweat it out at night. It is damn good with a rice omlet. I have to get some now. Cool to see other guys that have chewed some of the same dirt.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 5:43:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Kim chee and spam sandwich
Kim chee and polish hotdogs (in place of sauerkraut)
Kim chee with steak (medium rare) and white sticky rice (Asian Style)
Kim chee with Meat Jun
Kim chee with bibimbap
Kim chee with Chicken Katsu
Kim chee with Korean barbeque chicken
ooooohhhh the list goes on...
I'm like Homer Simpson when he sees  beer and doughnuts when it comes to Kim chee....mmmmmmmm Kim chee....haaaaaawt.......Doh!
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 5:48:21 PM EDT
[#20]
I love to eat "Kim Chee" too! it's sold in just
about every big grocery store here in Ca. it
comes in little jars, I like Japanese foods
too, like the fried tofu balls stuffed with
sweet sticky rice with a little Kikoman soy
sauce and some green horse radish type stuff.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 5:50:48 PM EDT
[#21]
I used to like to eat kimchi once in a while, especially the cucumber kimchi.  I miss the Korean food, like bulgogi, rice omlet, yaki mandu.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 5:57:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 6:01:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Kim Chee reminds me of a type of "Sauerkraut"
or Korea's version of Sauerkraut? a pickled
cabbage with extra spices. It's eaten as a side
dish in a similiar way.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 7:03:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Its good cabbage,and you can allways eat a raw onion or two to get the smell off your breath!

Bob  [:D]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 7:12:57 PM EDT
[#25]
By the bucket full!!!
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 8:08:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Kimchee is a great mouthwash neutralizer.  By the way, the best thing to stop the burning after eating spicy food is to drink milk.    
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 8:09:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I used to like to eat kimchi once in a while, especially the cucumber kimchi.  I miss the Korean food, like bulgogi, rice omlet, yaki mandu.  
View Quote

Hey banana-clip......up here in NC there is a Vietnamese resturant that prepares some of the best bulgogi I have ever had. Add a side a sticy rice and some Kim Chee, whooo boy. My wife hates it as I smell for days!  LOL
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 8:14:01 PM EDT
[#28]
My Korean friend turned my onto kimchee years ago.....MMMMMMM, I could go for some right now!
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:15:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Dear God in heaven, NO!  I was stationed at Kunsan AB for a year, and one thing I absolutely could not stand was the smell of kimchee.  I was on a bus filled with locals who had obviously been eating kimchee in the middle of summer once, and I can still remember hanging my head out of the window and praying for God to just strike me dead right there.

Now yakimandu is a whole different story.  I love that stuff!
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:53:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
MMmmmmm Kimchee is awesome!!! By itself or some bulgokee and rice. Yummy!!!
View Quote

Try it on crackers and a beer or two. Damn that stuff brings back old memories. Stinks up the whole house when you open the jar.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:53:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Its good (defintaly a aquired taste but good) only bad  thing is one can clear the room after eating it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 10:16:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Plus, for me anyway, Korean food doesn't fill me up enough. I can eat sooooo much, but still be hungry.
View Quote

Me ahn ham ni dah...Im sorry...

You have been eating the wrong dishes if you are not full. Next time ask for some [i]Kay-Gogi[/i] with your kimchee...

MMM MMM GOOD!

Link Posted: 5/20/2003 10:18:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Count me in!!!  I love the stuff too, but all that salt can't be doing us any good!!!  I'm Chinese and my wife is Mexican and we like to go do the Korean BBQ thing every now and then and I always load up on the kimchee.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 10:41:34 PM EDT
[#34]
For being cheap vegetables, it sure is expensive! Almost $4/jar..So, make your own!

Here ya go guys! EVERY Korean recipe you ever wanted.

[url]http://www.recipesource.com/ethnic/asia/korean/indexall.html[/url]

Enjoy!

Kim Chee ROCKS!
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 12:06:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 12:10:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Only if I've got some soju to wash it down.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 5:20:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 5:32:48 AM EDT
[#38]
I live in the Fort Campbell area so there are plenty of Korean food markets in the area. Twelve Dollars will buy you a huge one gallon jar. Bring it home and let the jar sit in the sink for a day or two. That gives it the nice sour flavor I love soooo much.

It's good too hear that I have some fellow 2nd Infantry Division on board, TURTLES no more!!!!!

JAKE T. SNAKE
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 5:43:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
TRW

Where were you stationed?

I was stationed at Camp Laguardia in uijongbu.

Just wondering..
View Quote

Jake, I was AF. Here is where I was stationed:
Taegu AB 1982-1983
Kwang-Ju AB 1985-1987
Osan AB 1987-1989
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:13:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Only if I've got some soju to wash it down.
View Quote

Oh man, kimchee [b]and[/b] soju?  You don't like your body very much, do you?
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:17:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Me ahn ham ni dah...Im sorry...

You have been eating the wrong dishes if you are not full. Next time ask for some [i]Kay-Gogi[/i] with your kimchee...

MMM MMM GOOD!

View Quote

Mmmmm....kaygogi.  Now [b]them's[/b] good eatin'!
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:28:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Kimchee toxon ipodah!

I get it at the Teriyaki joints here in Seattle, most of them cary it as most owners are Hangul.  

Out of all the different kinds I know & like the ?Potato? Kimchee the best. Little hard white squares. The regular 'salad' lookin kimchee isnt my favorite, but if made just right is very good.

Ahjimah? Kimchee E-sayoh?
View Quote

The white little squares are radishes, not potatoes.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:34:05 AM EDT
[#43]
I like to put some nuc-mam sauce on it.... kill's the taste.    [BD]
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:42:47 AM EDT
[#44]
I freakin Love Korean food!! MmmMmMm
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:59:01 AM EDT
[#45]
kimchee and soju---in those tents! woo hoo!
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 8:28:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Jake where you at Cp. Laguardia?  I was there from 90-94.  My wife is also Korean and we have a Korean cook book in english, which I like. Do you have any of the year books from 1/2 attack?
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 8:39:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I like Japanese foods
too, like the fried tofu balls stuffed with
sweet sticky rice with a little Kikoman soy
sauce and some green horse radish type stuff.
View Quote

[b][size=6]WASABI!!!!![SIZE=6][/B]
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 8:44:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Everytime we would fly into Korea I would have to load up on the Kim Chee. I've had some that was really good, and some that was just nasty.

Ripping loose a good hot Kim Chee fart in the flight station of a c-130 sends the officers diving for thier oxygen masks....Heh, heh, heh...good times...

Love that yakimandu too.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 12:15:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Good stuff Maynard.

I enjoy all (well most) of the farious pickled veggies lumped under the generic kimchi along with the big kahoona the cabbage kimchi.

We have jars here in So. Cal. labeled with a safety warning.  Product fermenting may explode when opened.  My wife doesn't let me bring it in the house anymore.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 12:41:25 PM EDT
[#50]
AHAAAAA HAAAAA!!!! Being Korean, I find this entire thread highly entertaining. By the way, the white radish kimchee is called:

KAGC. DOO. GEE: this is the cubed radish we call it Moo (Not mooo like a cow, say it quickly)

If you want the whole radish its calleed MOO. UL. KIMCHEE

I am personally partial to the BATCH. CHOO. kimchee or the cabbage kimchee.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top