Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2003 12:50:53 PM EDT
[url]http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/southflorida/sfl-520milkcrateticket,0,67162.story?coll=sfla%2Dhome%2Dheadlines[/url]

N.Y. man ticketed for sitting on a milk crate

Reuters
Posted May 20 2003, 1:50 PM EDT

NEW YORK - Some New Yorkers make the news for taking a stand. Jesse Taveras is suddenly famous for taking a seat.

The 19-year-old Bronx man was pictured on the front page of the Daily News Tuesday after he received a summons for sitting on a milk crate in front of the hair-braiding salon where he works.

"I don't believe this," Taveras told the cop who handed him the ticket, citing him for "unauthorized use of a milk crate," according to the New York Daily News,

'Don't blame me,'" Taveras said the cop told him. "'Blame (Mayor) Bloomberg.'"

The summons didn't say how much Taveras would have to pay for planting his bottom on the crate, which bore the imprint of Sunnydale Farms and a warning: "Use by anyone but registered owner is liable to prosecution, article 17A, General Business Law."

Deputy Chief Administrative Judge Joan Carey told the Daily News a judge would decide the amount of the fine.

New York Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly defended the police action Tuesday. The area of the Bronx where the unauthorized sitting took place has been designated a high-crime area and police try to discourage loitering there.

``The officer is well-respected,'' Kelly told reporters.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 12:54:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Our tax dollars hard(ly) at work![whacko]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 12:57:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I think you should consider how much money sunnydale farms loses every year by people stealing their milk crates.

Furthermore, what does this have to do with the mayor?
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 12:58:22 PM EDT
[#3]
JBT's!

If there's no proof he sit, you must acquit!
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 12:58:26 PM EDT
[#4]
What else do you expect from a neo-con mayor?
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 1:29:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Furthermore, what does this have to do with the mayor?
View Quote

I can't find the news link at the moment, but Mayor Bloomberg is out squeezing people for money to fill the city coffer.  He's invoked some obscure 1961 law limiting letterings allowed on shop awnings, and fining violators $2,500 for having too many letters/numbers.  The poor kid sitting on milk crate just got squeezed.  Note that he was not stealing/taking/removing the crate.  For all we know, maybe the store next door simply left it there for pick up.

And we were so happy when a Republican got voted in.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 1:30:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's the link:

[url]http://nypost.com/commentary/75507.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 2:26:11 PM EDT
[#7]
It's all about the money and cops being tax collectors.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 2:47:39 PM EDT
[#8]
From the article:
Chowdhury, from Bangladesh, owns C&B Convenience Store, where Amadou Diallo once worked, selling coffee, soda and lottery tickets. An awning informs passers-by what's inside.

Guess what? That awning is illegal. Not the thing itself - but the number of words printed on it.

"It's blackmail!" fumed Internet Lounge owner Ivan Shaked. The Israeli also was fined - plus ordered to buy a new awning, at some $2,000.

"It's like the mob - they want to muscle you out," Shaked said. "What's the difference between this and paying protection?"

Not much.

According to an obscure 1961 city zoning law, those canvas awnings you see everywhere, advertising candy or 99-cent ATMs, technically are allowed to say just two things: The store name and its address. No phone number. No Visa accepted. No beer for sale.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 3:01:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It's all about the money and cops being tax collectors.
View Quote

I would go so far as to agree with the guy quoted in ckapsl's thread:  No better than the Mob & their protection racket.  Armed robbery/extortion by the city.  Being robbed is bad enuff but when the thugs in question carry badges......
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 3:11:12 PM EDT
[#10]
No more nazi like then Rudolph Juliani
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 3:31:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 4:46:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Gotta pay for that massive budget deficit somehow.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 10:08:16 PM EDT
[#13]
A couple of points:
1.) I guess none of you have worked for a dairy.
   Tose crates aren't cheap and it is against
   law to take stuff that doesn't belong to
   you. (Seriously, it is.  Look it up)  There
   are literally millions of those crates
   missing and the cost gets passed on to you.

2.) NYC was a shithole when Guiliani took over
   after them Democrats ran it into the ground.
   If any of you miss the good old days of the
   homeless shitting in your doorway we have
   I'd be happy to loan you.  Send me your
   address and I'll buy them some bus tickets.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 10:13:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It costs a $6 tax to get into NYC from NJ.
View Quote

It costs $8 bucks to drive to Queens and back on the Triboro.  I think that's outrageous when you can take the 59th Street Bridge for free.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 10:16:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 10:42:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I really gotta try ticketing someone for this![:D]
View Quote

Just make sure you don't get the sass smacked out yo ass!
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 11:51:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 12:58:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
He was a Democrat 4-5 months before the election and became a Republican so that he could run against Democrat Mark Green.
View Quote

Those dang neo-cons!!!

Seriously; New York was a shit hole in the 80s, Giuliani was a miracle worker. - He did it by enforcing some of the more obscure laws.

Milk crate dude probably lipped off and wound up with a ticket for his trouble.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:19:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
A couple of points:
1.) I guess none of you have worked for a dairy.
   Tose crates aren't cheap and it is against
   law to take stuff that doesn't belong to
   you. (Seriously, it is.  Look it up)  There
   are literally millions of those crates
   missing and the cost gets passed on to you.
View Quote

I have a few, which were bought at a local police auction....so who gets in trouble for the misuse?  I doubt anyone would be bitching if the dude got popped STEALING the milk crate.  

NYC still is a shithole, apologies to Wave & other NY members here.  It's not as big a shithole as it was, but.....
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:30:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
NYC still is a shithole, apologies to Wave & other NY members here.  It's not as big a shithole as it was, but.....
View Quote

Come on, what major city on the eastern seaboard isnt?
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:42:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Bloomberg doesn't understand how to lead.  He is attempting to run the city like a business trying to meet the bottom line by laying off teachers firefighters and police.  At the same time he's raising property taxes which will in turn raise rents.  So what he will create is a weakened response time for crime/medic/fire emergencies while making it more expensive for an individual or business to move here.  Great incentive!

Unless, of course, you qualify for public housing.  I pay $2,000/month for a 1 bedroom in manhattan and also have the luxury of subsidizing welfare cases down the block from me.  Don't you want to move here?

Oh yeah, keep your toy guns out of my city!

what a fuckstick.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top