User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2003 5:09:05 AM EDT
[url]http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Northeast/05/19/blair/index.html[/url]

Times reporter wants to write about his mistakes
Blair: 'People will be surprised' by his side of story

From Rose Arce and Liz Kelley
CNN New York Bureau
Tuesday, May 20, 2003 Posted: 12:11 AM EDT (0411 GMT)

[red]Jayson Blair said he hopes to "write and share my story so that it can help others to heal."[/red]

NEW YORK (CNN) -- Former New York Times reporter Jayson Blair told CNN on Monday that [red]"race, substance abuse and psychological disorders" played a much more "nuanced role" in destroying his career than is being portrayed in the media.[/red]

"I am sorry for what I've done," he told CNN by phone. "It's my hope that others will learn from my mistakes."

The 27-year-old journalist, who is black, resigned May 1 after a Texas newspaper questioned whether he had plagiarized its story about the family of a soldier missing in Iraq.

[red]Blair said he hopes to "write and share my story so that it can help others to heal." He has signed with literary agent David Vigliano to consider book and movie offers.[/red]

Questions have been raised in the media about whether Blair had been able to keep working at the Times, despite a record of mistakes, because of his race or connections with top editors. The newspaper, whose managing editor, Gerald Boyd, is black, is trying to diversify its staff. Also, Blair is friendly with a staffer from Poland, home country of editor Howell Raines' wife, raising the specter that he received special treatment.

Blair said: "There are many assumptions being made, that because I'm black, Gerald Boyd was my mentor, and because my closest friend, Zuza Glowacka, is Polish, I was trying to gain favor with Howell Raines. People will be surprised when the whole story comes out."

A Times investigation of Blair's reporting discovered problems in about half of the 73 articles he had written since October.

Among his fictions were stories about the father of Jessica Lynch, the former prisoner of war in Iraq, and the Washington-area sniper attacks, the paper said.

The newspaper's management has faced criticism for allowing him to write, and even promoting him, despite the numerous corrections his articles required and the questions that some editors had raised about his work. (Full story, Other reporter scandals)

The Associated Press reported last week that federal prosecutors were seeking information about Blair's plagiarized or fabricated stories, leading to speculation that he could face charges.
View Quote

Man, this guy is incredible.  Why is it that every asshole that comes down the pike thinks people would be interested in a book or movie about them?  I'd rather have a prostate exam than read a book about this prick. [pissed]

Link Posted: 5/20/2003 5:25:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
[red]Jayson Blair said he hopes to "write and share my story so that it can help others to heal."[/red]
View Quote

Yes, we all need to heal. [rolleyes]

This guy is truly a self-important putz.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 5:29:28 AM EDT
[#2]
If the timing was better I would believe he is the reincarnation of the Iraqi Information Minister.

Jason Blair, "whhaaaa, whhaaaa, the devil made me do it." Trying blaming yourself assbag, not the voices in your head.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 5:39:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Actually, I’m rather delighted at all this.

This will remind folks to [b]not[/b] accept everything they hear or see in the news.

Couldn’t have happened to a more deserving newspaper, either!!  [:D]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 6:02:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

This will remind folks to [b]not[/b] accept everything they hear or see in the news.

View Quote

Exactly!  The New York Times just isn't that important, that we ought to be all pissed at Jayson Blair.  He is in a moron, working in the company of the like.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 6:17:32 AM EDT
[#5]
$10 says if he writes that book it would be a [b]B[/b]est [b]S[/b]eller... Now, note the initials of that...

NsB
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 7:13:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

There was a poll on the MSNBC/Newsweek homepage last night asking people if they trusted American Media.

52% of people said they don't think American Media is Accurate

36% said they only trust certain sources

And a whopping 12% said the American media is generally accurate.  HAW HAW HAW HAW.

I wonder how people trust in the media would stack up in a side-by-side comparison with Washington politicians.

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 7:18:40 AM EDT
[#7]
The man is a Fucking thief!!! The fact that he is a BLACK thief will make him a millionaire!
If it was a white guy, he'd be on the street pan-handleing.

Like CavVet likes to say, "Racicism is alive and well in the USA"!!! He's just wrong about WHO is discriminated against....
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 8:23:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Like anyone would believe a word Blair will write from now on.  His credibility is completely gone, no media outfit worth its salt would ever dream of hiring him.

He HAS to write a book, if just to parlay the shameful experience into money.  If he was smart, he'd do an expose-slam job on the Times, Raines, and Sulzberger and how he manipulated their white guilt to get away with journalistic murder. Then at least it's pique the interest of the kind of people who bought the book about liberal Bias at CBS, or Ann Coulter's books.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:47:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If he was smart, he'd do an expose-slam job on the Times, Raines, and Sulzberger and how he manipulated their white guilt to get away with journalistic murder.
View Quote

Such a book would be friggin awesome!  Too bad I doubt that's the way he'll play this.  I know that's how I would do it if I were in his shoes!

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 11:06:37 AM EDT
[#10]
"I am sorry for what I've done," he told CNN by phone. "It's my hope that others will learn from my mistakes."
Blair said he hopes to "write and share my story so that it can help others to heal." He has signed with literary agent David Vigliano to consider book and movie offers.
-----------------------------------------------

They forgot the part where Blair "hopes to make a $%#T POT full of $$$$" from being an AFFIRMATIVE ACTION A-Hole!!!!

BE A DICK.........MAKE BIG $$$$

Link Posted: 5/20/2003 1:43:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Did you see the poll on Drudge whether you would rather:  A)Buy the Book B) Thumb through it at Borders C)  Not buy it.

89%  8,965  NO  

07%  750  NO, BUT I WOULD THUMB THROUGH IT AT BORDER'S  

03%  322  YES  

So far, at 1:33 pm Alaska time
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top