Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2003 4:35:13 AM EDT
The USA doesn't have many real friends in this world.  Some countries are obviously adversarial, such as North Korea.  Others pretend to be our friends, but only because they want something from us, like Saudi Arabia.  Who do you think are really our friends, the ones we can depend on in tough times?  I'd say:

The UK: We have a long relationship with them through two world wars and the Cold War, along with our current ops.  So far they don't want to get totally swallowed up in the EU, and the strength of their relationship with us helps them maintain a degree of independence from the continent.

Israel: Because we're just about the only friend they have.  Of course, since they are fighting for survival on a daily basis, the needs of Israel take precedence over other considerations in their decisions.  However, I think they do belong on this list.  Don't believe the spin on CNN.

Poland: Not just because they sided with us on Iraq.  That was the result of larger changes within their country.  They've come a long way since the communist bloc fell apart and are enjoying their national independence.

I was trying to think of some Central/South American countries, but there seem to be a lot of anti-USA sentiments down there right now.

If Canada and Australia had more conservative governments in office I would have been inclined to put them on the list.  There are some European countries, such as Spain and Italy, that were considered, but I'm not really sure where their commitment level is.  Germany is trying to get back in our good graces, but I haven't yet deemed them worthy of readmittance.

What do you guys think?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top