Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/19/2003 10:49:02 PM EDT
Ok, I started this whole gun buying thing when I was 21. It started off simple enough, I bought my child hood dream pistol, a Beretta 92F on my 21st birthday. Shortly there after I bought a Glock 27.

Then the rifle bug bit me, mini-14, a few AR's. Then a CZ 75B, few months later a Sig 220. Waited till I got another job, got a vintage CZ 8mm Mauser month later got a Savage 10FP. Day I picked up the Savage I laid down $$ for a STG-58 FAL. Today I just picked up my new Beretta 9000S.

This gun habit is getting nutty. I have a real hard time saying no, even if I can’t afford it. Not only the cost of the firearms themselves, but all the accessories. Ammo, holsters, cleaning supplies, cases, optics, night sights, bipods, extra mags, holly crap balls I'm in debt and can’t stop.

So in the past 2 years I have accumulated all the above mentioned stuff. I have one question, am I normal? Or do I have FOCD? Firearm obsessive compulsive disorder?
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 10:52:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Gonna need pics for a proper diagnosis.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 10:54:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Gonna need pics for a proper diagnosis.
View Quote

Id like to help..but I think pics would help us help you.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 10:57:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 10:58:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Pics will soon follow, prolly wednesday, my day off.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 11:02:11 PM EDT
[#5]
One can never have too many guns no matter how much in debt you are....
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 11:06:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Ahh my son... At least you're in like company. I need a new pair of shoes bad! But is that a nessessity? I think not! My Rem 700 VS that I picked up last week... Now THAT a man's just gotta have!
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 11:10:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 11:11:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm a fat man turning into an Ethiopian becuase of my "habit".

Seriously, I should get a second job just to pay for some of the stuff i get. I just ordered an M1A, and I just got my C&R. I need another job or a better job!
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 11:29:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Once you notice you are in debt, stop.  Gen a no interest credit card and start paying it off.  I've been in and out of debt due to guns a couple times.  In fact last year I bought six pistols that kinda jacked my debt a bit.

Don't let it hold you from something you really want though.  Several years ago I really wanted a Tiger Dragunov and found one for $799.  I had just got out of debt and didn't want to plunk it down on a freshly cleaned card, and I had no cash.  I really wish I would have just done it too.  Second time was the California ban, should have bought a couple more rifles, but just paid off my debt from buying furniture and all the little crap when you buy a house.  Plus the wife didn't quite understand as well back then.

Don't get into debt, but if the .50 ban is coming to your area, you might not worry so much about that.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 12:05:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 12:09:14 AM EDT
[#11]
in the last year i've bought 5 mausers, 2 mosin nagants, browning 22 pistol, 2 preban ar's, a remington700P, oh..that's it.  guess i'll have to get more.  i've sold some stuff too..i figure as long as i'm paying all my bills on time i can blow my cash on guns.  i really do need new shoes though.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 12:18:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

What he said.[:D]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 1:42:54 AM EDT
[#13]
I threw down 8 grand for my m-16 earlier this year and still dont have it:( I am pretty broke now too cuz I took out a personal loan to do it. On top of that I just bought a second house as an investment so cash is even tighter now. Say anyone out their in AZ want to rent a house from me?
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 3:04:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 3:37:05 AM EDT
[#15]
"....and then this summer, after I get my financial aid statement of course, I think I might get an AR-15 in 9mm, and SBR it to 10.5, so it will be like a submachine gun. Or a MP5 clone. Probably the AR-15, it's cheaper and adaptable."
"Why do you need any of them?"
"I don't have a subgun, even if it is semiauto"
"Why do you need a subgun?"
"I said already. I don't own one."
"But why do you need one at all?"
"I'm sorry, I'm not following you here."
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 4:27:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

What he said.[:D]
View Quote
                                                                            There`s two answers to your question........you can pay off the debt and buy more guns...OR (preffered) just buy more guns and not worry about the debt.....when it gets hard to find a place to sleep at nite....you MIGHT want to slow down..or start trading???...[BD]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 8:01:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Same thing happened to me.  I got a C&R and then I was finished.

Bought several rifles a month for a long time and filled up the safe.  Started putting rifles in corners and in closets.

It didn't help much that I got a COUPLE 10K/year pay cuts, but my habit raged unchecked.

Yeah, the fiance talked some sense into me.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 8:05:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 8:22:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Im with ya on that paul, Im still saving to buy the kit for my first AR
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 8:27:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Pics will soon follow, prolly wednesday, my day off.
View Quote

Mo $$$$

You guys are heartless,now he has to go out and buy a digi camera for gun pics, LOL
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 8:36:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I threw down 8 grand for my m-16 earlier this year and still dont have it:( I am pretty broke now too cuz I took out a personal loan to do it.
View Quote

Thanks a lot, assbag!  [;)]  I'm leaning toward doing [i]exactly[/i] that, even had a sit down with my local CLEO last Friday.  "Bring me the papers, I'll sign them, you'll be out the door in 10 minutes" was his take on my buying my first C3 toy.  

Now you wanna go make me have second thoughts?????

Sh!t.  I guess I'll buy a can, and a SBR instead.  I can pay cash for them...

Unless someone can talk some sense into me....

[b]Talk to me, Vic!!![/b]

edited to beg vic to assure me I'm doing the right thing.  He's been a damn good reference so far.....
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 8:55:48 AM EDT
[#22]
I left college with a sizable credit card debt due mostly to guns.  I worked at a gunshop so I was constantly seeing new shit I just had to have.  I sold a few when I got out, and I have wasted two inheritances paying off those debts.  I had fun and all that shit, but now I stick to the basics.
I find that most people are only buying all this shit so they can say "look at all this shit I bought".  Or to be able to post pics in the next "show me your guns" thead.  Pretty sad really.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 8:58:03 AM EDT
[#23]
A few years ago I bought a new gun every month for two years! You need to catch up!!
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 1:45:10 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm getting my house built right now and need to save all my money on closing costs and getting furniture when it's done, but I'm still figuring a way to get more stuff before October. The only thing I'm waiting on is the USP Tactical and Gemtech suppressor.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 1:49:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Welcome to the support group from hell.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 1:53:17 PM EDT
[#26]
so far my personal collection is as follows:

Bushie AR15
kelTec Sub 2000
.22LR Remington model 91

My dad's collection is vast, but he doesnt want them listed.  he wears a tin foil hat.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 2:25:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Alas, I don't have enough guns yet because I refuse to go into debt for anything. And I don't have a job at the moment. The biggest problem is what to buy next. I want some kind of autorifle in a serious caliber, and a more carryable pistol, and probably a 12ga, and a .45 and a .357 and...

I know! We need warning labels! "Warning: Buying firearms can be hazardous to your financial health."
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 2:34:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 3:20:49 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm just sitting here wondering when you are going to actually buy a few guns - you don't even have a good start until you have 40 or 50, and you find one you forgot about ("Cool, I wonder when I got that!") or you buy a duplicate of one you already own ("Rats, now I know why I have all that (fill in the blank) ammunition").
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 3:37:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Ok, I started this whole gun buying thing when I was 21. It started off simple enough, I bought my child hood dream pistol, a Beretta 92F on my 21st birthday. Shortly there after I bought a Glock 27.

Then the rifle bug bit me, mini-14, a few AR's. Then a CZ 75B, few months later a Sig 220. Waited till I got another job, got a vintage CZ 8mm Mauser month later got a Savage 10FP. Day I picked up the Savage I laid down $$ for a STG-58 FAL. Today I just picked up my new Beretta 9000S.

This gun habit is getting nutty. I have a real hard time saying no, even if I can’t afford it. Not only the cost of the firearms themselves, but all the accessories. Ammo, holsters, cleaning supplies, cases, optics, night sights, bipods, extra mags, holly crap balls I'm in debt and can’t stop.

So in the past 2 years I have accumulated all the above mentioned stuff. I have one question, am I normal? Or do I have FOCD? Firearm obsessive compulsive disorder?
View Quote

Had a friend of mine racked up about 25k in credit card debt with guns. Lost his house, and sold most his stuff, when he got injured and disabled on the job. Wound up in banckruptcy.

If YOU are going in debt to buy firearms, then you too are a victim of FOCD. A Horrible fate awaits you. Sell me the sig 220 cheap. It'll help your recovery........[:D]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 3:49:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I threw down 8 grand for my m-16 earlier this year and still dont have it:( I am pretty broke now too cuz I took out a personal loan to do it.
View Quote

Thanks a lot, assbag!  [;)]  I'm leaning toward doing [i]exactly[/i] that, even had a sit down with my local CLEO last Friday.  "Bring me the papers, I'll sign them, you'll be out the door in 10 minutes" was his take on my buying my first C3 toy.  

Now you wanna go make me have second thoughts?????

Sh!t.  I guess I'll buy a can, and a SBR instead.  I can pay cash for them...

Unless someone can talk some sense into me....

[b]Talk to me, Vic!!![/b]

edited to beg vic to assure me I'm doing the right thing.  He's been a damn good reference so far.....
View Quote

threefiftynone, listen to the voice of reason.

GET YOURSELF AN M16 WHILE YOU STILL CAN!

I sold most of my pre-bans, and tacked on a few grand.  Do I feel guilty you say... hell no!

I most likely wouldn't go into debt for title one firearms but for the right title 2 firearm I would.    

My old college teacher used to say debt incurred paying for school is never a bad thing.  As I look back on it now it seems to me he definitely should have included MG's too!

rssc  
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 3:58:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

[ROFL2]

Ain't THAT the truth!!! Not much of a support group!! Some of these guys have it,(FOCD), BAD!!
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 4:26:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

[ROFL2]

Ain't THAT the truth!!! Not much of a support group!! Some of these guys have it,(FOCD), BAD!!
View Quote

Isn't the official AR-15.com motto:  "Get both!"
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 4:43:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Remember boys, "GUNS WILL GET YOU THROUGH TIMES OF NO MONEY BETTER THAN MONEY WILL GET YOU THROUGH TIMES OF NO GUNS." -- DesertRat1 [uzi]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 5:29:30 PM EDT
[#35]
I have the same sickness.  I made the biggest mistake of my life while remodeling on the house this past year. I gathered up all of my weapons and placed them in one room.  My wife about had a cow, and I need to agree with her in one respect there was a SHITLOAD of stuff in that one room.  However, Too Many ?

Hell No.

Bob

I really liked this one from DesertRat1  

"GUNS WILL GET YOU THROUGH TIMES OF NO MONEY BETTER THAN MONEY WILL GET YOU THROUGH TIMES OF NO GUNS." -- DesertRat1
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 5:38:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Getting a C&R did it for me, at least I can try to rationalize all these guns my saying they will only increase in value... I hope..
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 6:02:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 6:15:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
PS: I'd never go into debt for a weapon - cash
only.
View Quote

[stick]  What Paul said.....
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:58:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Your question speaks for itself.

But asking the question here reminds me of asking an alcoholic if you drink too much.

No debt for gun number 2 and up.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:16:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:23:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Buying a new gun is fun. The feeling is almost addicting! BEtter than cocaine...but then again
I wouldn't know.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:08:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

What, no shotguns????  You write FOCD is if it were a bad thing...

[:D]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:16:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Seems to me that you're still an amateur! GET OUT AND BUY MORE NOW!
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:35:53 AM EDT
[#44]
I was buying crap on credit because I kept finding "good deals".

I sat down and calculated the amount of interest I was paying on my "good deal" and realized that I ended up paying a much higher price than everyday gun store prices.

The only thing the credit card will come out for now is if it truly is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.  (ie: Collector Grade M1 Garand for Dirt Cheap etc etc)

Now most of my income goes to three things.  Mortgage+Utilities, IRA+Insurance, Paying of Credit Card debt from stupid impulse purchases.

IMHO you have enough guns until you can pay for your next one with CASH.

Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:39:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Well this is about 6 months ago so it's not everything but you get the idea. [;)]

[url]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=8045[/url]

[url]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=8046[/url]

[url]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=8057[/url]

View Quote

How many times are you gonna post those pics???????
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:48:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Maybe someone should start a 12 step program!
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:51:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Maybe someone should start a 12 step program!

Good idea!

I'm going to go look at the top 12 items on my wish list and....

...wait, that's not what you meant, right?
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:52:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Don't buy...shoot! Shoot what you got! If you don't a .22 pistol, get one and shoot thousands of rounds through it. Getting into debt over guns would only mean you would have to sell them later. I'm just trying to spare you the pain.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:52:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 11:03:30 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
question, am I normal? Or do I have FOCD? Firearm obsessive compulsive disorder?
View Quote

it's a sickness & we're here to help,
[b]TO HELP YOU BUY MORE GUNS!![/b]

hahahahahahaahahahhahahaha [devil]

seriously don't get yourself in financial trouble though

I've been down the too much credit card debt road a few times in my life & you should avoid it!
 get out of debt then save & buy a gun or buy one & pay it off before buying another
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top