Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2003 7:07:02 PM EDT

I am looking to buy an exercise bike, but know nothing about what to look for. I see the new style, almost reclining as well as the old fashioned bike style.

I need low impact work as I have a problem with bad knees and a back problem that my doctor wants to work on. Walking is not much of an option as I need lower impact and my schedule sometimes leaves only nigtht time and early morning times to work out.

What brand and style of machine would you recommend? perhaps the wife may like to use it also.
Thanks... fullclip
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 9:07:00 PM EDT
[#1]
If you have to stay off your knees, an excercise bike will probably be the best. I have never used the schwinn airdyne (spelling?) but my physical therapist has two of them and I have heard good things about them. They seem to be very high quality. In non-bike stuff, have you looked at Nordictrack? It shouldn't be too hard on your knees. You can get them reasonable on ebay and they break down and stow easily. In regards to low impact, have you looked at some of the air bubble shoes out there, or gel inserts? Also, if you have a school nearby, check out the track. Often they are surfaced in a thick rubber mat that may be just the ticket for you.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 3:51:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I have arthitis in my feet, so I haven't been able to run or get any other meaningful aerobic exercise in a long time.  I just picked up the Tony Little Gazelle (The $200 one from Sports Authority) and I like it.  It's virtually a no-impact workout.  

I just pop a John Wayne movie in the VCR and set my arms & legs on autopilot.  It might be worth your while to check it out.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 4:42:38 AM EDT
[#3]
The schwinn airdyne is an awesome exercise bike if you are looking for an upright.  It is a commercially rated unit for 500-600.  It gives you an upper and lower body workout.  It is a machine that will give you years of trouble free use.

Schwinn and Nautuilis recumbents are very good machines and reasonable priced as well.  If you want a recumbent make sure you get something with eddy current or electromagnetic resistance instead of friction.  The magnetic resistance will help keep the machine quiet and also give you a very smooth pedal stroke. These start at about 500-600 as well. Just to a couple local fitness shops and try out what they have.  Purchase the one that you like.  After all if you don’t like it, you won’t use it.   Hope that helps, and if you have any specific questions post em.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 4:58:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I picked up a ProForm magnetic resistance recumbent at Sports Authority for $300.  I like it quite a bit so far.

I wanted a recumbent because the regular bikes are hard on your ass after a while.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 5:09:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I would suggest getting a real bike and a training stand for indoor use. That way, you actually have a bike tht you can use outdoors.

Here's a training stand:

[img]http://www.performancebike.com/product_images/400/40_1430.jpg[/img]

The back wheel of the bike drops into the stand and rests on a flywheel with variable resistance.

You can also get videos & DVDs like Spinervals that will kick your ass and actually get you in shape. Sittng in front of the TV and pedaling away at 55 RPMs will not result in any measurable gains. Elevating your heartrate to 110-120, even it's for 5 hours, won't do a whole lot for you. Getting your heartrate to 135-150 (or higher, depending upon your fitness) for 45 minutes will produce measurable gains in a short amount of time. (These are imaginary numbers, they vary based upon your age, fitness level, etc.)
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 5:19:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Airdyne is the ticket
Ive gone through three of them in the last 20 yrs...great re-hab machines..

They didnt break just sold them to relatives and traded up to newer model ( comp)

Only thing better imo is swimming

You can work arms and legs simultaneously or separately you can reverse your grip and work bi's. You can work one arm one leg..the harder you push the more resitance...
[url]http://store.schwinn.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/CategoryDisplay?cgmenbr=177&cgrfnbr=270[/url]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 6:16:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Whatever you do, don’t get a cheap exercise bicycle.  I bought a $100 or so one from Sears maybe 20 years ago and was [b]very[/b] aggravated by the irregular pedaling motion.  I finally just hauled it to the dump!!

If you’ve got a bad back, I’d also suggest you avoid the NordicTrack skier.  That was my next machine and, while it is low impact, it requires a good sense of balance – which, for me at least, put a lot of pressure on my back.

I now use a True treadmill, which is excellent.  The running platform is mounted on rubber spacers, which reduces the shock to your knees and feet.  Despite having arthritis in one of my knees, this does not give me any problems.

However, it does take up quite a bit of space and forget about taking it up a flight of stairs!!  It’s also pretty expensive.

Good luck!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top