Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2003 3:26:51 PM EDT
  I can scan a form into my computer and I can than send the image to my printer so that the computer becomes a copying machine. But how can I type to fill in the blanks of the form before I print it.  There must be a way but as a total novice to this computer stuff I am lost.  If it matters I have a Dell with windows 98.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 3:31:23 PM EDT
[#1]
do you have an OCR* program or Adobe Acrobat ?

either of these programs will allow you to create documents from something you scan.

*Optical Character Recognition
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 3:36:15 PM EDT
[#2]
There are a couple of ways:

[list=1]
[*]Get out a ruler and measure where the blanks are on the form and make corresponding text boxes with MS word or other word processor, or[/*]
[*]Depending on the length of the form  you could always rewrite the form using a word processor (I would recommend using tables).  I did this for a bunch of forms that needed for work, or[/*]
[*]Pick up a copy of an OCR software, this will convert the scanned text to "real text" an open it in a text program.[/*]

IM me if you need more of an explanation.

Good luck
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 4:13:42 PM EDT
[#3]
When you scan a document the computer isn't really reading it. Scanning is more like making a photograph. It doesn't create a document with characters just an image.

Adobe Acrobat and some other programs can look at that image and pick out the characters (OCR).

Even the best OCR packages guess wrong some times. You usually have to edit the scanned document to fix the bad guesses.

It's still way easier than re-creating the document from scratch, especially if it's a complex form.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 4:20:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Whats a typewriter????
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 5:37:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:I can scan a form into my computer and I can than send the image to my printer so that the computer becomes a copying machine. But how can I type to fill in the blanks of the form before I print it.  There must be a way but as a total novice to this computer stuff I am lost.  If it matters I have a Dell with windows 98. Thanks
View Quote

Get a program callsed "Omniform"
[url]http://www.scansoft.com/omniform/[/url]
It [b]will[/b] do what you want.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 6:04:50 PM EDT
[#6]
At $100 a toss, it better.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 6:12:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, if you haven't any qualms about it, get the demo, then the crack from astalavista

Not that I'd be suggesting it or anything...
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 6:13:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 6:15:18 PM EDT
[#9]
i was looking at kazalite.com to see if it was available there for free,but i wouldn't download load it since you know that may be illegal so you may  want to buy the copy from the store.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 12:29:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top