Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2003 9:23:23 AM EDT
....and it was delightful!
The Cougar band (7 tribes from Oklahoma) were in town performing for Stagecoach Days, a local festival.

The Indians wanted to play till the "moon was above the trees", (about 1 AM), but the town had shut them down at 5 PM.
We offered our verandah, as it is 60 feet wide, and in a historic/museum/business district. They showed up with a huge drum, happy smiles, and songs in their hearts.
I have never had the fun of drinking with the Wagon Burners, (they giggled at the term as well, no ethnic slur intended or perceived), and I can tell you, these folks sure know how to have a good time.

Men, women, and even a little child were there, all singing Songs of the 49, (war and love songs, as they explained it). I brought back more Lone Star beer, and they sang a sweet Appreciation Song for us.
We had invited the neighbors down to watch, and soon the children on the block showed up.

Only men are allowed to touch or play the drum, and they invited Darling Husband, and Kar98 to join in. Kar98 now has an Indian name, Drums Like a Girl. [;)] *I* was relegated to the women's corner, but it was ok. [:D]

They shut down at about 1:30 AM, just as the moon rose over the big oak trees.
A warm pleasant evening, with good company, a lot of cheap Texas beer, and loud drums and singing; we had our own Pow Wow.
Very cool.

Link Posted: 5/18/2003 9:37:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Kar98 now has an Indian name, Drums Like a Girl. [;)]

View Quote

Now see what you've done!!! [:D]
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 10:59:43 AM EDT
[#2]
When the drum starts it's hard to keep your feet from moving.  It gets down inside you and flows.  I love it.

Occasions like this provide an opportunity for people from different cultures to understand eachother a bit better.  I always invite people to our powwows.  Here in SC they're not as big as some of the ones out west, but it's still a good time with good people.  

I'd highly recommend taking the family to a powwow near you.  Just check up on the local protocols to avoid unintentional offense.  There are some rules that are common at most, such as not taking a person's picture without their permission and generally only dancers are allowed in the circle, with a couple exceptions.  One would be during a Veterans' Dance where everybody with military service is invited in to be honored (That's special for me- a segment of our society that holds warriors in high regard, unlike many college campuses!).

Watch out for the fry bread- it made me fat!
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 11:28:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Last night we had 15 drunken Comanches on the front porch
View Quote

LOL – Best thread title I've seen in a long time...
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 12:54:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Me younger man many times no come home till sun high in sky.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 12:58:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 1:04:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 1:22:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 1:45:52 PM EDT
[#8]
No pics. See rules of etiquette above.
Btw. H_R needs to listen more closely. My name isn't Drums Like Girl, but Bangs The Girlies! Sheesh.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top