Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2003 8:32:29 AM EDT
Sorry if this has been covered already but can someone explain to me how the sunset (fingers crossed/letters mailed) will effect the supply of USGI magazines?  Assuming that a company could leagaly manufacture standard capacity magazines again would the Gov't contractors be able to sell to the general public or would we have to purchase from Colt or Bushmaster? Hopefully Glock will start to sell the standard capacity magazines again to us citizens but they aren't bound by Gov't contracts not to sell to the general public. Please give me some insight on how this sunset will effect the supply/price of magazines.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 9:22:06 AM EDT
[#1]
The expiration of the AWB would not affect the supply of USGI mags.  The sale of military equipment to the public is prohibited by executive order (thank you Clinton!).  That said, the manufacture of new normal-capacity (20-30 round) magazines could take place, and perhaps a greater supply of bright, shiny, after-market magazines would bring the prices of those old, beat up surplus mags down.

edit to specify magazine capacity
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 12:42:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Now couldn't the companies that make USGI mags sell directly to the public?

I am looking foward to 30 round Bushmaster mags though.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 1:56:51 AM EDT
[#3]
The USGI mags made after the ban are stamped with the "LEO/Military only bullshit"!  A friend of mine had some of them.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:41:12 PM EDT
[#4]
BTT
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:42:55 AM EDT
[#5]
That's what is great about Capitalism. Someone to fill the niche if there is a market demand available. Surplus/ overrun could possibly be purchased again from manufacturers (pure speculation on my part) since they wouldn't be illegal to purchase anymore and they could stop stamping that stupid sentence on them which should save on manufacturing costs. The Thermolds were manufactured by a private company without the Gov't binds of the USGI manufactured mags. Someone will step up, let's just hope it is a good product.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:45:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:06:45 AM EDT
[#7]
One thing is that some of the supply of AR-15 mags are simply mags that wander off the base and end up in pawn shops, sold on Ebay, etc.

GunLvr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top