Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2003 7:53:49 AM EDT
I shot in my first ever match yesterday. It was a John C. Garand A course match, all shot at 200yds.

10 rounds (single load) slow fire from Prone. 10 Minute stage limit.

10 Rounds rapid fire Standing to prone (load 2 while standing, go prone when the whistle blows, fire 2 reload, fire 8). 70sec time limit.

10 rounds standing slow fire (single load). 10 minute limit.

The rifle was a CMP Garand that the club loans to its members. I shot 245 out of 300, which was I think the 5th highest score in the field of about 25 people. I was pretty excited to do that well my first time out.

So now I qualify for the rifle purchase program from the CMP. They offer M1 Garands that were US issue for $500, or US garands that were given to the Danish army after WWII. These danish guns have some european mfg parts in them (probably beretta parts). They go for $400.

Both are in identical conidtion, well used, with bore erosion less than 5 on the millitary scale (this is supposedly well within spec for a service rifle).

Has anyone had any experience with either? I'd tend to lean toward the US guns, for the historical value if nothing else. What do you think?

Thanks,
Brian
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 7:58:03 AM EDT
[#1]
My father in law has a couple of both. I've seen and shot them all. All things being the same, I'd pay the extra $100 for the US rifle. The price was the same when he got his, but the Danish guns were in better shape then, so he got both just cause.

What's $100 anyways?
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 8:10:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Some people think the danish Garands with VAR barrels are better shooters than the GI Garands.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 9:22:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Just a heads up, the pricing has changed at the cmp, and you can now select which brand you want. Check out [url]http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/m1garand.htm[/url] for more info. IHCs and Wins are basically impossible to get now, but there are some really nice H&Rs coming through right now.

The Danish service grades are just about gone now. The way things are going now if I'd ordered a SASG or H&RSG I would have received the rifle by now. I ordered a Dane SA/SG non VAR on 3/30, checked on my order on Friday and was told I was 170 on the list. The Dane SA/SG w/Var are a little more plentiful but someone who ordered one the same day as I did is 143 on the list. Your best bet right now is to get either an SA or H&R SG and you will have the best chance of getting a really nice rifle.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 9:25:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I posted this in response to your 1911Forum.com inquiry as well, but since it's a few pages back here it is again>>> [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=170286[/url]
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 9:25:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Some people think the danish Garands with VAR barrels are better shooters than the GI Garands.
View Quote

from what I've heard, the reason for that is they are your best chance of getting a rifle with a new barrel. I got a Dane Winchester with a VAR barrel last fall and the barrel was dated 10/66 and the barrel was brand new, which means it was rebuilt and put into storage. The wood was ugly but has since been replaced.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top