Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2003 6:32:04 PM EDT
I am looking to pick up a 9mm large frame handgun to help my wife shoot all that 9mm we bought (like she needs any help!)[:)]

I've limited the choices down to a Beretta 92 FS, Browning Hi-Power, or a CZ 75.  What do you have and what do you suggest?  What are some plus's and minus's of these firearms?
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 6:33:50 PM EDT
[#1]
CZ-75 all the way!  Great pistol, inexpensive, cheap hi-caps, .22LR conversion kit for it ($220) - just an awesome gun.  Double/single action, smooth trigger, VERY accurate, and flawless in design, ergonomics, and reliability.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 6:39:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I have both the CZ and the Beretta.

Both are excellent shooters.  The CZ is the better value.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 6:44:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I've never shot the CZ-75, but my vote would go for the Browning HiPower.

One of the best pistol designs ever. Accurate, and reliable. I've had mine for 8 years. I've shot all kinds of 9mm, and have had NO malfunctions. And that includes using after market mags (not USA mags of course).

Link Posted: 5/17/2003 6:44:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got the CZ-75B, and I like it alot more than the beretta. I haven't shot a beretta much but just never liked them mutch for some reason. THe CZ-75 is an awesome weapon, I added hogue grips so it fits my hand better which makes it really comfortable to shoot.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 6:50:34 PM EDT
[#5]
All three are good choices, but I would look at price.

The CZ 75 is the least expensive and factory high capacity magazines are cheap, too.

The Beretta and the Hi Power are roughly the same price, but factory high capacity magazines are cheaper for the Beretta (around $40) versus $50 to $60 for the Hi Power (though the South African 15-round and 17-round mags are fairly cheap and work well).
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 6:51:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 6:54:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I've had both the Beretta 92 and Browning HP and they're gone.  Still have two CZs, though.  IMHO the best balance, point of aim, accuracy and ergonomics in a (9mm) service pistol.  It [i]can[/i] be hit and miss with them, though, as their QA is a little variable (many stories of pistols locking open before mag was empty, happened on one of mine until a few 1000ths/inch filed off the slide stop).

Berettas were just too meaty in the grip, finicky with ammo and had a horrible trigger.  My Browning HP just had a horrible factory trigger, something like a 9lb single stage pull!  Ugh.  The CZ-75B and CZ-75B-SA I have are head and shoulders better pistols to shoot.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 6:55:15 PM EDT
[#8]
My vote would go for the Hi-Power.  It is a very accurate, very reliable firearm.  But the best thing about it is the way it fits into your hand.  It is like it becomes a part of your hand.  One of the most comfortable shooting pistols I have every shot.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 6:56:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Definitely the CZ-75 of those three.

There are Argentinian and other surplus license made Hi-Powers that are $300 and a good deal.

Beretta 92 would definitely be at the far bottom of the list.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 6:56:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I have 3 hi powers and a CZ75BD. It's a tossup which is best between my Practical and the CZ which is more accurate. The hipower arguably is the best-pointing/best handling 9mm hicap pistol out there, it really fits my hand well, mags are cheap and plentiful. Downside is SA only if that's not your bag, pre-MK3 models have the ridiculously small thumb safety (easily rectified) and real FN/Browning HPs are kind of pricy (brazilian, hungarian and isreali copies are out there and are a mixed bag, some good, some not so good). The CZ is pretty close to the HP in handling and pointing, it feels pretty similar. Hi caps are available, but are somewhat pricey, although nowhere near the price of glock mags. The CZ is really accurate, most likely due to the slide which rides inside the frame, the only other pistol out there which isn't a CZ copy to use this feature is the SIG 210, go price one of those out, be prepared for the shock. There are many copies of the CZ, such as the Tanfoglio TZ75, EAA witness and the wonderful swiss AT84, this is a testament to the excellent design. Stick with the CZ though, it's the best and most cost effective. Downside to the CZ is DA trigger pull is a little long, otherwise no problem at all.

As far as the beretta goes, I wouldn't even consider it unless you have really large hands and a big stack of preban mags. Even then, my choices speak for themselves.

my $.02

Chris
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 6:58:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Of your choices the CZ and P35 are tied for 1st.  While the 92 fits my hand really well, I have gorilla hands and it may be a little too big for the females.  Have you thought about a Sig P226?  There are police trade in's in excellent condition for like $375 in the SGN.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 7:05:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I've got a CZ 85b (same as 75 but ambi controls) put Houge grips on it, I like it, shoots very well, accurate, reliable, trigger was a little gritty when new, after 3-500 rounds has smoothed up nicely,very comfortable in the hand, I would recommend one in a minute,an excellent handgun at a very reasonable price, I really can't think of a downside on the CZ's
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 7:21:43 PM EDT
[#13]
CZ75. I would recommend it over virtually any 9mm in terms of ergonomics, price and just plain fun.:)

Link Posted: 5/17/2003 8:28:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I went to buy a CZ75 specifically because of you guys. I'm damn glad I lookd at it first cause it was a serious POS with the worst trigger of any "recommended" gun I've ever seen.

The Hi Power is a wonderful gun but a bit dated when compared to the Beretta. I simply prefer double to sing actions. Also they got a real short beaver tail and if you got big hands you will get hammer pinch.

But of the three I'd take a Beretta every time.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 8:32:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm really quite suprised at how many people dislike the Beretta.  After all, if poo hit the fan there would be plenty of replacement parts around.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 8:36:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Why not just get the best....SIG P226
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 8:40:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Why not just get the best....USP9c
View Quote

Agreed.  I would get the H&K USP series 9mm in either full or compact size.

[:D]
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 8:44:00 PM EDT
[#18]
I've got a Sig 226, and I still want a Hi Power.  My buddy's HP just fits my hand better than any other gun.  Considering it's combat proven, used by the SAS, I would say it is a more than good choice.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 8:58:49 PM EDT
[#19]
My vote would be for the Hi-Power. But the right answer is for her to tryout the 3 and see which one she shoots best.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 9:01:37 PM EDT
[#20]
I like either the 92F or the CZ75. I would see if you can rent them and have your wife shoot them and see what she likes. For me its a toss up. The P35 Hi-Power is a nice gun, but is eclipsed by the newer technology 9s. The 92F has an alumninum frame and the CZ75 has an all steel frame. The 92f will break the locking block, but that is only after thousands and thousands of rounds. The CZ75 has no such weakness. So pick your poison.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 9:03:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Out of your choices?
The browning for sure
cheap, simple and built like a tank.
With a bonus of LOTS of after market/custom options.

What about a 1911 style 9mm?
or perhapse a  p-38?

Link Posted: 5/17/2003 9:20:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Browning all the way.

Parts world wide, simpler design, smaller and more ergonomic, magazines that are reliable in sand.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 9:28:37 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't have any of the pistols on your list, so here's what I suggest...

Buy all three, keep the one you like the best, and give me the other two you like the least. [:D]

Now that's fair, isn't it?
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 9:32:49 PM EDT
[#24]
I've got 3 Berettas. Love em. So the 92 gets my vote. Just mt op.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 10:09:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Definitely the Browning Hi-power.  Get a Practical and put on the thin, combat checkered Navidrex grips, found [url=http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=9563]here.[/url] Then get her some 15rd south african mags [url=http://www.cdnninvestments.com/browhip9mm15.html]here.[/url]  I have small hands, and those wide body 9mm's like the 92F are far to big and impractical, a waste of precious real estate.  The HP is a proven and reliable design.

Here's some PIC's of my Practical.

[img]http://home.attbi.com/~boomstick223/wsb/media/191806/site1007.jpg[/img]
[img]http://home.attbi.com/~boomstick223/wsb/media/191806/site1008.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 4:16:30 AM EDT
[#26]
The obvious question is do you want a single action or a DA?  If you want a single-action, then the BHP is it.  There's not much else to say there.

If you want a DA-type, then I like the CZ-75 over the Beretta.  I just like it better, and it's a tad smaller than the Beretta (much more like the BHP).  

Ross
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 5:01:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Not on your list, but get a Sig P226 or P228 [;)]

Eric
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 5:31:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The obvious question is do you want a single action or a DA?  If you want a single-action, then the BHP is it.  There's not much else to say there.
Ross
View Quote

Try this one

[img]http://www.impactguns.com/store/media/cz_75sa.jpg[/img]

[b]CZ 75 SA Single Action 9mm[/b]

Link Posted: 5/18/2003 9:05:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm really quite suprised at how many people dislike the Beretta.  After all, if poo hit the fan there would be plenty of replacement parts around.
View Quote

If TSHTF my pistol is not what I'm worried about getting replacement parts for.  If I have to shoot my backup piece to the point that I've worn it out or something, well, man I really am a combat god.  My pistol is for home defense (not TSHTF) and fun.  The Beretta just failed the test for both when compared to the CZ.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 9:38:40 AM EDT
[#30]
I've tried all three.....and if you can have your wife do the same, she'd be the one to pick.  I had hammer bite issues with both the Hipower and the CZ.  I didn't care for the trigger pull on the Hipower and that combined with the thin stock trigger just about gave me a blister on the trigger finger.  The Beretta has a wider grip, but that also made it feel the most comfortable in regards to recoil for me.  All in all, I like the Beretta the best, but I think it's really up to the shooter to determine what feels good.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 12:12:40 PM EDT
[#31]
I would go with a Steyr GB.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 12:33:38 PM EDT
[#32]
go for the duo tone cz75b... if you want the decocker option, get the cz75bD ("D" for decocker).

then hook yourself up with some of Hakan's custom grips

[img]http://www.imageseek.com/hakan/albums/cz75/BirdEyeAmboin_81.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 2:23:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Buy an assload of .45ACP and then
Buy a 1911.  

-DEERSNIPER
[sniper]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 8:22:08 AM EDT
[#34]
I've owned both a 92FS and a CZ75.  The Beretta is gone, the CZ75 gets shot every chance I get.  CZ is much more solid and accurate than teh Beretta. Beretta has a nicer safety.  Never had a HP.
My wife shoots the CZ sometimes, but is a little big for her hands.  The CZ compacts are very nice.
Only bad thing about the CZ is it has a heavy trigger.    
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 8:28:50 AM EDT
[#35]
My wife is on the petite side..and the BHP done by Ted Yost fits her perfectly..she loves it... (Ted's wife has one just like it)
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=2296[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top