Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/17/2003 11:45:49 AM EDT

Deadly Bank Heist Hits Small S.C. Town

By JULIE HALENAR=
.c The Associated Press

GREER, S.C. (AP) - The killing of three people during a bank robbery brought an unwelcome taste of the outside world to this small community in an area called the South Carolina Upstate.

``It seems like in these times you never know what's going to happen,'' resident Homer Fowler, 73, said Saturday. ``We think where we live is an exceptional place to live, but bad things still happen.''

``That's big city news - it's not Greer,'' said Glenn Downey, a 44-year-old construction worker.

Neither city police nor State Law Enforcement Division Chief Robert Stewart would comment Saturday on the progress of the investigation.

Police Chief Dean Crisp had said earlier that officers were looking for two people in a red sedan seen leaving the bank Friday afternoon. But authorities said investigators were uncertain even of the gender of the two robbers.

The robbery occurred at a branch of the Blue Ridge Savings Bank, located in a small trailer not far from Greer's biggest employer - BMW Manufacturing Corp.

[red]Authorities said there was no sign of a struggle. Crisp said money was taken, but the amount was not known.[/red]

The victims were killed with a large caliber handgun, authorities said. Crisp said another employee had stepped out before the robbery.

Workers at a nearby construction site saw two people drive away from the bank shortly before police arrived in response to a panic alert from inside the bank, Crisp said.

That alert was received about 15 minutes after David Holtzclaw left after stopping to deliver lunch to his mother, Sylvia, who was working alone at the bank.

Sylvia Holtzclaw wasn't supposed to be working Friday and had told a friend that morning she worried about working in the bank by herself. ``She frequently expressed concern for her safety,'' Robbie Gravley told the (Spartanburg) Herald-Journal.

Holtzclaw's younger son, Kevin, a firefighter, stopped by the bank later and saw the emergency, police and media vehicles. He had to identify his mother's body.

Also killed were two customers, James E. Barnes, a professor at the University of South Carolina-Spartanburg, and his wife, Margaret.

Police questioned customers and workers at Mutt's BBQ just down the road from the bank, said waitress Latasha Jones.

``We had cops come in here - it was scary,'' Jones said.

It was the deadliest U.S. bank robbery since Sept. 26, when three gunmen killed five people at a US Bank branch in Norfolk, Neb.

05/17/03 15:19 EDT

Copyright 2003 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.  All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 12:25:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I was about a mile from there when it happened.  The local news reported that one of the people in the bank may have had a CCW and contributed to the three deaths.  I haven't seen anything else that indicated that was true, but if it is, I'm sure we'll hear more about it from the rabid anti-gun head of the state police, Robert Stewart.z
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 12:29:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Prime example of why a 5 or 6 shot pop gun IS NOT your #1 choice for carry.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 2:49:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Well which is it? Did the professor try to resist? Or not?

I would have to say that university professors are not normally known to have CCWs or own guns. They are not called "liberal intelligista" for nothing.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 2:55:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I know the professor wasn't carrying.  I just found-out that the two customers were good friends of mine.  I didn't recognize the names because I've always called them Maggie and Jim.  They are anti-gun, and I know they weren't carrying.  Maggie worked in Spartanburg in at office in a bad neighborhood just behind the main post office.  I had talked to her once about concealed carry, and I got a very negative reaction.  They also weren't the type to resist.  I'm shocked to say the least.z
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 2:55:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I would have to say that university professors are not normally known to have CCWs or own guns. They are not called "liberal intelligista" for nothing.
View Quote

Unfortunately, the stereotype is usually accurate.    Some of us don't fit the mold, though...
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 3:51:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Unfortunately, the stereotype is usually accurate.    Some of us don't fit the mold, though...
View Quote

Yeah I know. But its rare.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 3:55:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I know the professor wasn't carrying.  I just found-out that the two customers were good friends of mine.  I didn't recognize the names because I've always called them Maggie and Jim.  They are anti-gun, and I know they weren't carrying.  Maggie worked in Spartanburg in at office in a bad neighborhood just behind the main post office.  I had talked to her once about concealed carry, and I got a very negative reaction.  They also weren't the type to resist.  I'm shocked to say the least.z
View Quote

[:(]
Very sorry to hear that zoom...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top