Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2003 5:09:19 AM EDT
I had to write the NRA today after seeing what Wayne LaPierre did on CNN yesterday. He may have been right, but if you had never seen a gun before, and didn't know any gun owners, seeing Mr. LaPierre act like a crazed person would have certainly added fuel to the fire that the NRA and gun owners are fanatical. Please reply if you agree with me or not. I'd like to know if anyone else felt the way I did, or if I'm just  not thinking about this right.

To Whom it May Concern,
I watched Mr. LaPierre's interview on CNN yesterday, and felt I had to write. While what Mr. LaPierre said was true, his manner of delivery hurt our cause. Going on one of the Nation's most esteeemed news networks (while we may not agree with that, face it), and accusing them of false reporting was not the way to do it. As a gun owner, member, and an owner of "post ban" weapons, I would love the ban not to be renewed, but even I was turned off by Mr. LaPierre. Starting off an interview by arguing with a news anchor, rather violently also, just cements in anti-gun people's beliefs that we are fanatics! Mr. LaPierre was telling the truth, his point was valid, but all was negated by his lack of tact. That segment would have been much more effective if Mr. LaPierre wnet down a list comparing the performance characteristics (graphics maybe?), and then showing examples of pre and post ban weapons to show what the little differences are. Then at the end, he could challenge viewers to think hard about what they saw on Thursday, comparing it to the real evidence he produced on this segment. Perhaps he should have accused the guests of the reporters for making false statements, not the reporter. This would make Mr. LaPierre's comments more effective, and also show that gun owners aren't represented by fanatical nuts!
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 11:16:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Ouch! The silent treatment! Surely someone here has a thought on this?
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 11:22:03 AM EDT
[#2]
When they resort to outright lies and fabrications, the gloves come off.  I havent seen the intervew or read the transcript (HINT HINT) but its time to call these people on the carpet.  Blatent lies will not be tolerated!!!  
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 11:29:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I think gun owners and Pro-2nd Amendment people have been too reserved for too long.

Hell, "Civil Rights" people get attention by screaming!

"Womens Rights" gets attention by screaming!

"Sexual Deviants" get attention by screaming!

So why the Hell shouldn't we?
HECK....and We're ARMED!

Link Posted: 5/17/2003 11:41:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
While what Mr. LaPierre said was true, his manner of delivery hurt our cause.
View Quote

This has always been a problem with LaPierre.  He always comes across too strong and sounds like an extreamist.  There are ways to say what needs to be said without making it sound like the world is ending.  Sure all us crazy gun nuts might have understood what he was talking about, but what about the other 90% of the country that doesn't own a black rifle?  That's the audience Wayne needs to be speaking to.

The NRA needs to replace Wayne with someone who is more effective at getting a message across.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 11:43:04 AM EDT
[#5]
See this thread:

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=186885[/url]

When someone lies outright to the public, you have to call them on it.  The CNN lie about assault weapons went out to millions of Americans who will be negatively influenced by it.

We are getting ready to kick CNN's butt - are you in?
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 11:57:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Stop whining about the method of delivery.  We have to stop compromising and worrying about little things like that.  Take a hard line.

I'm in.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 12:03:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Stop whining about the method of delivery.  We have to stop compromising and worrying about little things like that.  Take a hard line.
View Quote

Yeah that method works the best.  That explains why the no compromise and hard line approach as made GOA the largest and most effective gun organization out there.  [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 12:23:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh, I'm in, I just think it could have been done effectively in a different way. Thanks for teh opinions so far.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 12:32:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Oh, I'm in, I just think it could have been done effectively in a different way. Thanks for teh opinions so far.
View Quote

Good deal.

Full disclosure:  I didn't watch the LaPierre interview on CNN, so I can't really comment on how well he came across.  He tends to not have a good on-screen personality, so I would not be surprised if he came across in an abrasive manner.

But that is beside the point.  CNN is supposed to be a neutral provider of news.  Instead, they are carrying water for the people who want to take our rights away.  We have to hit back hard at this.  This is a great opportunity to highlight the fact that they have been caught in a public lie.  We need to make the most of it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 12:46:11 PM EDT
[#10]
If you have seen the ratings, you will know that no-one is listening to CNN anymore anyway.  Maybe Wayne was just getting some practice in an evironment where no-one could hear him.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 1:24:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Since I didn't see the interview (who in their right mind watches that communist station of lies anyway?) I realize that LaPierre does get harsh at times.  Perhaps he is just as fed up about lies and the twisting of our constitution as I am.  I constantly debate the issue with the ignorant and do some times tend to get upset myself.  Perhaps he is just finally so damn pissed off at these bastards and felt it was time to call them on their lies.  I say good for him.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 1:28:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm in!

Also go let "Sheriff Jenne" at

http://www.sheriff.org

and let him know that he is a pathetic liar!
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 1:36:14 PM EDT
[#13]
So, LaPierre called CNN liars to their face?  Good.  They are.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top