Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2003 2:22:48 AM EDT
[url]http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2003/05/16/state2059EDT0247.DTL[/url]

GOP group makes $100,000 donation for Davis recall

Friday, May 16, 2003  

(05-16) 17:59 PDT SACRAMENTO (AP) --

A Republican political action committee voted Friday to give $100,000 to Rescue California, one of several groups working on a recall campaign of Gov. Gray Davis.

The donation from the Lincoln Club of Orange County matches a contribution made last week by U.S. Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Vista, who is interested in replacing Davis should the recall effort succeed.

The money is being used to hire a professional staff to help gather the 900,000 valid voter signatures needed to qualify the recall by a September deadline.

Dave Gilliard, campaign director for Rescue California, said his organization now has more than it needs to get the job done.

"We have Darrell's original contribution and we've got other donations and now the Lincoln Club has stepped up," said Gilliard.

Two other groups, the Recall Gray Davis committee and the Davis Recall committee, say they have more than 100,000 signatures so far. But experts say the overall campaign has lacked the money so far to hire professional help to circulate petitions and gather signatures.

Roger Salazar, an adviser to the Davis campaign, said that recall organizers still need a lot more money.

"Even with what they've already gotten, they are far short of the several million dollars they need to make the recall effort any more real than it was yesterday," Salazar said.

He said the Lincoln Club is among the most conservative groups in the state and that the recall is "nothing to do with policy and everything to do with politics."
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 2:39:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Hell ... I'll donate some $ too.  I don't have much at all, but if the shit works, at least I can say I helped liberate Kalifornistan.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 2:41:32 AM EDT
[#2]
It's too bad that the people want his lame ass out and the only thing that could stop it is money.

The lame ass should resign.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 4:14:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I figure they'll just vote another liberal into office, so why bother spending our hard-earned conservative money on 'em? They should just sit there and fester in the mess that they've made for themselves, IMO.

On Edit: At least until they learn. Once they learn, I figure we can help them out.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 4:21:55 AM EDT
[#4]

"Even with what they've already gotten, they are far short of the several million dollars they need to make the recall effort any more real than it was yesterday," Salazar said.

He said the Lincoln Club is among the most conservative groups in the state and that the recall is "nothing to do with policy and everything to do with politics."
View Quote

a)So, lesson is, if you don't have money, you can't play politics in Cali and should be ignored.

b)Since when have policy and politics been two seperate things?
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 8:11:06 AM EDT
[#5]
The Davis recall has a chance of succeeding.  I'm sure it's possible, but it's hard to imagine that he could be replaced with anyone worse.  His approval rating is at an all time low.  Almost 200,000 signatures have been gathered already, about a million are needed to put the measure on the ballot.

If you are registered to vote in California you can download a recall petition.  Have your friends and co-workers sign it and mail it in.  Dump Davis!!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top