Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2003 12:54:30 AM EDT
[url]http://boston.com/dailynews/136/technology/L_A_leaders_move_toward_slaver:.shtml[/url]

L.A. leaders move toward slavery disclosure law

By Reuters, 5/16/2003

LOS ANGELES, (Reuters) - Los Angeles officials took a major step Friday toward passing an ordinance that would require companies doing business with the city to disclose if they ever profited from slavery.

City Council members voted unanimously to have its attorneys draft the ordinance, which must then be approved and signed by Mayor James Hahn. A spokeswoman for Hahn said the mayor would sign it.

If he does, Los Angeles will become the second major U.S. city to adopt such a law after Chicago.

Though critics of such measures believe they are a first step toward slavery reparations for blacks, city councilman Nate Holden said that was not the city's intention.

[b]''We're not here to ask companies to go out of business,'' Holden, who is African American, said. ''We're not here to be punitive. We're here to say: 'Let us know who you are.'''[/b]

[i](Yeah, right.  Just like "we just want to register your guns, not take them away.")[/i]

Holden added that companies who may have profited from slavery should consider making ''restitution'' by donating to inner-city charities in America's second-largest city ''out of the goodness of their hearts.''

The United States, torn apart by the Civil War, abolished slavery in 1865. Some black leaders, including high-profile attorney Johnnie Cochran, have called for the U.S. government should pay them reparations and apologize.

Cochran -- who is best known for winning an acquittal on double murder charges for ''Trial of the Century'' defendant O.J. Simpson -- sued the state of Oklahoma, the city of Tulsa and its police department in February to win reparations for more than 200 survivors of a 1921 race riot.

The Los Angeles ordinance follows a similar law passed by the Chicago City Council in October.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 12:59:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 1:04:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I knew this black chick who made me her love mule...
Does that count?
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 1:06:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Only in Kalifroniastan.
You know something one small nuke on the Fault Line would get rid of most of the bullshit the United States.
Bury that baby deep, get all pro-gunners out and lite the fuse.[}:D]  
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 1:14:11 AM EDT
[#4]
The decendants of the freed slaves should also pay reparations to the families of the Union soldiers who died to bring about their freedom.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 1:18:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Let me and mine get out and I'll be the first on the fault line with a torch!

[grenade]
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 1:30:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Let me and mine get out and I'll be the first on the fault line with a torch!

[grenade]
View Quote

Good Man!!!
People like you are the only reason I don't pray every night for that sorry excuse for a fucking [s]state[/s] communist small country to fall in the ocean!!
I hate California!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 3:12:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Only in Kalifroniastan.
You know something one small nuke on the Fault Line would get rid of most of the bullshit the United States.
Bury that baby deep, get all pro-gunners out and lite the fuse.[}:D]  
View Quote

Actually the City of Chicago was the first to pass a similar act or did you not read the article above?
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 7:04:25 AM EDT
[#8]
My Dominatrix has been profiting off of me for years.  Does that count? [;D]
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 7:39:45 AM EDT
[#9]
My family owned a bunch of slaves before the war for southern independance. I fail to see how it improved my financial situation. Two hundred years from now your descendants might be defending themselves in court from the "pet representatives" for having profited from the barbaric practice of owning another living thing. Of course it seems like a non issue to us now, to own a horse, cow, dog, mule just as it did with negro slaves two hundred years ago. There were probably proportunatly(sp) about the same number of people protesting the right to own another human back then as there are people protesting the right to own another living thing today.

Food for thought.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 8:17:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Didnt we have a pretty respectable unemployment rate during slavery? If we brought it back more people would have jobs, food and a roof over their heads.[;D]

Sorry, Ive been offline for too long.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 9:08:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 10:59:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Cool! We should also give back parts of the USA Southwest back to Mexico while we are at.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 11:25:31 AM EDT
[#13]
They do this to piss people off. They just cant stop breeding the hate cause they wont be "Special" anymore. They don't want to be equal.

I hope the backlash breaks them in half.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 11:35:44 AM EDT
[#14]
I see stupid people.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 5:50:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I guess we (at least I) just don't understand the desire to call for reparations for slavery which occured many years before anyone here was alive.  Hell if anything, most of us should be getting restitution for our relatives.  Mine had to pay to come to this country, at least they got a free ride.  Yes, i know that is a very bitter tone to take, but get off the fricken band wagon of "you owe me because" and get a life.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 6:26:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Ok Now Im gonna say something possibly offensive.  Id like for people who have taken my and my famailes tax dollars with welfare to pay me reparations when they get money.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 7:56:15 PM EDT
[#17]
I want reparations for the theft of property (My families slaves) by those damn yankees when they illegally invaded my homeland (CSA)!!!
Unlawfully depriving my ancestors of their property with trial is a serious crime....
BTW, I don't care what "they" think of me or what I say. Too many years spent pandering to their delicate sensitivities has left me with a very bitter taste. When are "they" going to respect my gun-luvin, truck drivin, hard-workin, self-sufficient culture?
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 8:12:11 PM EDT
[#18]
If I owned a company that made money off of slaves 150 years ago, I'd just pull out of those areas.
The loss of revenu on my end would be less that the the areas in question would lose due to the unemployment of the workers in the area, loss of taxable income and the property rent, utilities, and buisness taxes.

They never learn.

NYC is losing buisnesses left and right because of the outrageous taxes, and won't do anything but talk about raising taxes to make up for the losses.
Same in Cali.

Slavery is a dead issue to most people, but th NAACP, Rainbow Colition, and the pandering liberals.

Hell, when will they ask Africa for reperations for selling their sorry asses INTO slavery?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top