Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2003 12:45:28 PM EDT
It appears to me that in general it is better to look good than be good.  In other words, perception is reality.  If people think that you're good at something, then you are.  Actual ability has little to do with it.
Actions are supposed to speak louder than words, but I think that the right words can overshadow actions.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 12:46:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 12:47:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Norman, you're still ugly as shit, and you're spastic, too! [;)]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 12:56:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 12:57:22 PM EDT
[#4]
the real question is whether it's better to look good than to feel good.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 1:04:03 PM EDT
[#5]
If I'm neither, am I screwed???
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 1:10:22 PM EDT
[#6]
"You look mahvolous"
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 1:30:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Definitely better to be good. You can look the part but when you are called upon to perform and you are all show and no go, it won't take people long to see it. If you don't have it but act like you do, eventually you will be screwed. If you have it but don't act like you do, when the time comes, you will look good because you are good.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 1:47:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Part of being good, is looking halfway decent.

My worthless comment (no, not even 2 Lincolns).
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 1:58:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Look at it this way:

The SHTF.

Is it better to look good in your MARPAT with your bling-bling pre-ban AR with laser, flashlight, dot sight, bayonet, mag-cinch, etc., etc., etc. that you can't hit the broad side of a barn with from the [i]inside[/i],

Or

Is it better to be able to knock the balls off a gnat at 200 meters with a POS M44 Moisin?

I submit:  It's better to [b][i]BE[/b][/i] good.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 2:03:42 PM EDT
[#10]
The answer depends on the details of a given situation. If I'm trying to get laid at a bar, the answer is obvious. Now once you get home, it becomes more ambiguous of course.

In the long run of life, it's better to be good. But looking good can give you more/better chances to show your stuff.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 2:11:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 2:27:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My friend: "I'll never wear a damn tie."

Me:  "You'll never make over $40,000 a year."

35 years later, he's at $35,000.

Yes, it's a factor.

It is dependent on what you do as well.  Ugly, fat, strippers do not do well in their profession.
View Quote

I went to work today in jeans and a Harley tshirt, with a wallet chain and a bandana hanging out of my back pocket.  Pistol in my front pocket, benchmade stuck in my waistband.  Let's just say I collected a check that was slightly more than the $575 ($40k/52 wks less 25% for uncle sam) that a $40k/yr guy takes home.  Today was casual Friday, hence the Tshirt.  The rest of the week, substitute a $7 button down shirt I got at walmart. [;)]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 3:50:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
"You look mahvolous"
View Quote

at least someone got my reference [;D]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 3:55:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My friend: "I'll never wear a damn tie."

Me:  "You'll never make over $40,000 a year."

35 years later, he's at $35,000.

Yes, it's a factor.

It is dependent on what you do as well.  Ugly, fat, strippers do not do well in their profession.
View Quote

I haven't had a job that required a tie in over 6 years and I make over double what your friend makes. I work at a fortune 100 company in systems and the rule of thumb in systems is, the people with the best/indispensable skills tend to dress the worst. The guys who wear ties are usually management wannabes. I wear combat boots, a shirt with collar and khakis every day, we have no "casual fridays" that's every day. On my last job, it didn't matter if I showed up in a tshirt and shorts, as long as I could get the job done.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 4:01:11 PM EDT
[#15]
The word is not "good".  It's "cool".

You got to look cool, feel cool, be cool and stay cool while you smile, style and profile the whole time.  

But...... it doesn't hurt to be good at what you do also.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 4:02:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Are you saying, if you look like you know what you're doing, people will assume that you do?
And that is very true.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 4:15:35 PM EDT
[#17]
i think im gonna dress in valero blue very soon

but as of right now, when i go interview i'll be wearing a new pair of starched wranglers and a button down starch, i dont own a tie, i dont own a suit, i dont own any dress pants, and i own nothing but one pair of boots and one pair of tennis shoes (which i never wear)

the only time i EVER wore a suit was in college when i was required to wear one for a presentation or fail the course..........and damn you should have seen the suit............'70s model!  not sure whose it was
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 4:32:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 4:34:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Are you saying, if you look like you know what you're doing, people will assume that you do?
And that is very true.
View Quote

Yes, that is basically what I'm saying.
I have a coworker that busts his balls.  Works late, takes on extra work, does whatever the boss tells him with a minimum of argument, takes one for the team, etc. etc.  The thing is, he seems to think that this is the way to advance, get promotions, raises, etc.  I disagree.  I think it's more important to have the people in charge of promotions and raises be impressed with you.  Doing the job better than anyone else in the company doesn't do shit for ya if the uppity-ups don't notice.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 4:35:13 PM EDT
[#20]
I think it's important to look good, it makes
you feel more confident when your looking good.
Just like a soldier or Marine, image is very
important, that uniform needs to look neat and
hair cut neatly trimmed, and keeping in good
physical condition, even the way you walk is
important, I try to keep a good image at all
times even just wearing civillian clothes. I
dont like to look sloppy or un kept.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 4:39:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 5:06:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Guys, you are hung up on ties.  35 years ago, all businessmen wore ties. In fact, those damn three piece monkey suits.  The point still remains the same. Wearing inappropriate clothing for the job doesn't help you in business.
View Quote

come on Tom, we all know that ties cut off the blood supply to the brain, inhibiting creative thought [;D]. btw the inappropriate clothing statement is true, it's just fun to make fun of "suits".
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 5:40:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 9:16:31 PM EDT
[#24]
"better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"  

I think that applies to looks as well.  I'll be the 1st person to sit around the house in boxers and ragidy old T-shirt, but when I go out in public, I try to look like I can at least afford the payments on my civic!  That doesn't say a whole lot, but I've seen a lot of people who I question their source of income by what thy wear and drive.  I believe it's all in the shoes though.  "You can tell a lot about a person by their shoes."  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top