Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2003 9:59:56 AM EDT
Well the other thread got me wondering, are the Ruger P series a quality handgun.

I own a Ruger 10-22 - the standard in the 22 world.  I also have a 44mag lever action rifle and a beautiful Ruger Vaquero 45LC Birdheads grip pistol.   These guns are great firearms and I would say of very high quality.

But, I have never shot a P series autoloader that I thought was a good gun.  They are heavy, large and feel like they may fall apart in my hands.  Maybe I have never shot a good one, but I have never thought Ruger made a good autoloader pistol...not near the quality of say a Baby Eagle...for the same price.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 10:04:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Every Ruger I own is a "quality" firearm, not top of the line, not POS, but good gun value.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 10:07:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a stainless Redhawk in .44mag, 7 1/2" barrel...  that is a real work of art.

I also have an old Mark I target pistol.  That too is of great quality.

I have a P85.

The P85 is not even close to the other two.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 10:11:05 AM EDT
[#3]
What I have always heard in regards to Rugers is that theyre not quality, but they are SOLID.

IE, if reliability is your concern the Ruger P-series is your gun.

Theyre the "AK" of sidearms, a little ugly and ungainly, but always work.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 10:11:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Have a P90 that has NEVER failed.I have shot thousands of rounds through it.

Mk2 of my sons is the same.

P95, same thing.

Mini-14.Not a tack driver, but it fires each and every time I've taken it out.

They're workhorses.Tools.They work when and how they're supposed to.

Great value in guns.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 10:12:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quality yes, top quality of course not. POS not even close I've shot the cheapest, dirtyest stuff to +p and my P series just asked for more. IMHO
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 10:17:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have a stainless Redhawk in .44mag, 7 1/2" barrel...  that is a real work of art.

I also have an old Mark I target pistol.  That too is of great quality.

I have a P85.

The P85 is not even close to the other two.
View Quote

Clarification...  my P85 shoots everything I put in it.  It just isn't pretty.  
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 10:24:15 AM EDT
[#7]
The Ruger 10/22 rifles and Mark II pistols are hall of famers.

I owned a P95 pistol and a PC9 carbine that I threw together as a home defense system since they use the same magazine. Both worked very well within their intended domain. Did have an extraction problem with P95 right out of the box, though. Sent it to Ruger and got the weapon back in two weeks. Worked great after that.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 10:27:50 AM EDT
[#8]
P90 owner here and It is SOLID. Yes it is not the most 'purtiest' gun in my safe however it is a workhorse.

Then again Im not going to date it or marry it. I want to use it to shoot and I want it to work all the time EVERY time...

...and that it does.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 10:28:24 AM EDT
[#9]
the ruger .22 pistols are the standard by which all other .22 pistols are compared.  good stuff.  i have two.

the revolvers are decent (and their hunting revolvers are particularly nice)  thier single actions are also some of the best in the biz.

thier aouto pistols (aside from the.22s)arent great, and had crappy 10 rd mags even before the ban, but will do the job.  i would never buy one new but if somebody had a good price on a used one i might consider it.  still, i'd rather have a glock, or a cz-75, or a 1911, or a hi-power, or whatever.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 10:29:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Well they work, most of the time. I suppose you could call that "quality". They LOOK cheap however. Ugly wood (or plastic faux wood), pot metal, low grade triggers, etc make them low quality assembly IMHO. Their Ruger P series with the plastic frames scream El-Cheapo to me. I'd rather have a surplus Makarov than one of those things. A "quality" gun to me would be a Sig, Walther or quality 1911. Not a Ruger.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 10:41:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
the ruger .22 pistols are the standard by which all other .22 pistols are compared.  good stuff.  i have two.

View Quote

no way, they are the cheapest .22 pistols out their, but they are by no means the best. For a new .22 in the same price range, I'll take a Browning Buckmark any day. For used, a New Haven/Hamden/East Hartford Hi Standard or Smith 41 are infinitely superior. I have a Hi Standard slant grip Sport King and would never ever trade it for a Ruger. As far as a work of art goes, check out an early Hi Standard HD Military, that's a work of art. I have one that's in the first 1,000 made. The trigger is perfect and the blueing is simply amazing. Ruger doesn't even come close.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 10:45:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Massad Ayoob recently wrote an article about the P series for Shotgun News.  He gave them an unqualified thumbs up.  I think they're probably one of the best buys for the money.  Only real strike agains tem is that they're not "1911 compatible."
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 11:03:57 AM EDT
[#13]
I owned a KP90DC for a number of years, fired hundreds upon hundreds of rounds through it, probably a few thousand actually, without any problems that weren't my fault. The double action trigger was good, not fantastic, but good, and the single action worked (though it was a little creepy.)

Accuracy?  Real good. At fifty feet it put 'em all within an inch of each other IF I did my part.  

Reliability?  Bang, every time.  No failures to feed or extract other than once with some crummy reloads.

Pretty factor?  Low.  The P series pistols are big, thick bodied and heavy feeling.  They conceal poorly and feel a little big in the hand.  The clunkiness of the P series pistols is attributable to the investment cast construction method.  To compensate for the potential weaknesses of the process, they overbuild the structure to ensure integrity and strength.

As a holster gun for duty or non-concealed use, the P series are effective pistols, and you can buy two of them for the price of some of the competition.  Why did I sell mine?  Because I really like the ergonomics of the SIG P220.

Link Posted: 5/16/2003 11:18:15 AM EDT
[#14]
I've got a P series Ruger and a MKII.  The P series has never jammed, but I've only put about 250 rounds through it.  It's well made, but the tall slide just feels and looks weird after shooting Glocks so much.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 11:49:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 12:10:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 12:18:15 PM EDT
[#17]
My P89DC is quality-enuf to be my home defense gun.

18 rounds of 115 grain Gold Dot HPs at 1400 fps (500 fpe) will get the job done.

I just wish it came with the tactical light mount on the front.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 12:42:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 12:44:11 PM EDT
[#19]
made me feel like I was shooting the timing light that I tuned chevy's with back in the 70's
View Quote

You're from the [b][i]SEVENTIES[/b][/i]? Far out, man.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 12:47:35 PM EDT
[#20]
no way, they are the cheapest .22 pistols out their, but they are by no means the best. For a new .22 in the same price range, I'll take a Browning Buckmark any day. For used, a New Haven/Hamden/East Hartford Hi Standard or Smith 41 are infinitely superior. I have a Hi Standard slant grip Sport King and would never ever trade it for a Ruger. As far as a work of art goes, check out an early Hi Standard HD Military, that's a work of art. I have one that's in the first 1,000 made. The trigger is perfect and the blueing is simply amazing. Ruger doesn't even come close.
View Quote

Wanna bet? Check out the results of the IHMSA Rimfire Production Class Finals. Beaucoup Rugers in the winner's circle and that's from a bone stock pistol. In fact, there were NO Brownings within the top five of any event last year.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 12:55:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Excellent pistols. The only other company that gives as much "bang for the buck" is CZ.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 2:20:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I owned a KP90DC for a number of years, fired hundreds upon hundreds of rounds through it, probably a few thousand actually, without any problems that weren't my fault. The double action trigger was good, not fantastic, but good, and the single action worked (though it was a little creepy.)

Accuracy?  Real good. At fifty feet it put 'em all within an inch of each other IF I did my part.  

Reliability?  Bang, every time.  No failures to feed or extract other than once with some crummy reloads.

Pretty factor?  Low.  The P series pistols are big, thick bodied and heavy feeling.  They conceal poorly and feel a little big in the hand.  The clunkiness of the P series pistols is attributable to the investment cast construction method.  To compensate for the potential weaknesses of the process, they overbuild the structure to ensure integrity and strength.

As a holster gun for duty or non-concealed use, the P series are effective pistols, and you can buy two of them for the price of some of the competition.  

View Quote

I agree with this 100%. I have a KP90 that has had THOUSANDS of rounds through it. Mostly 230gr rd nose lead cast bullets. It's ergonomics are FUNKY to say the least.

I have had rugers of all shapes and flavors, the only one I have a bitch with is the mini-14.
Mine is a POS. I have yet to find a load that will shoot under an 8 inch group at 100 yards.

Ruger makes some of the strongest revolvers known to man.

I have an old Security Six that I wouldn't take anything for.

I believe that the original pistol chambered for the 454 Casull, Freedom Arms, was a direct knock off of the SuperBlackHawk design.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 2:22:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Rugers are a workmans gun. Rugged and reliable but not pretty or competition quality. (out of the box that is) I give them a thumbs up be also a warning to remember what Bill Ruger did in 94 concerning the AWB.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 2:41:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Okay, so they're ugly, but they work every time?
Thinking about getting one.
I don't give a damn what it looks like, or how accurate it is at 25 yards.
I just want something tough that goes bang when I need it to, exactly when I need it to, at close range.
How tough are they?
What kind of abuse will they withstand?
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 2:53:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Well they work, most of the time. I suppose you could call that "quality". They LOOK cheap however. Ugly wood (or plastic faux wood), pot metal, low grade triggers, etc make them low quality assembly IMHO. Their Ruger P series with the plastic frames scream El-Cheapo to me. I'd rather have a surplus Makarov than one of those things. A "quality" gun to me would be a Sig, Walther or quality 1911. Not a Ruger.
View Quote
Well, aren't we educated.  Just exactly which Ruger P-series come with wood?  The P-series with polymer frames screamm el-cheapo, huh?  What about the Glocks or the HK USPs?  The polymer is basically the same.

You apparently wouldn't know quality if it bit you in the ass, as you certainly don't seem to have a clue on what you just posted.

More 'I heard this or that.......' bullshit.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 2:59:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I just want something tough that goes bang when I need it to, exactly when I need it to, at close range.
How tough are they?
View Quote

Like I stated earlier. My KP90 has eaten literally  of rounds with very little problems. All of the jams in my pistol arise after an extended session of shooting at the range. Everything gets pretty gummed up after about 250 rounds with the loads I make with Win 231.
I have taken a couple of deer with the KP90 also, dragged it through the dirt while crawling through the South Texas brush.

How much more abuse would you subject it too?
I haven't run it over with my pickup and then tried to fire it, if that's what you are lookin for?

I may have the exception to the rule, but It has always gone bang when I needed it to.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 3:29:21 PM EDT
[#27]
How's the trigger on the P-series?  Is it comparable to the typical, out-of-the-box Sig, Beretta, H&K, S&W, etc.?

Frankly, I wouldn't consider any of the aforementioned pistols as having "great" triggers fresh from the store.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 3:31:09 PM EDT
[#28]
I love my Ruger P97 DC. It fits my hand great. It shoots great. I have never had a malfunction, and I have put about 700 rounds through it. I put a Hogue Handall on it, and now its complete. I like it better than my buddies glock 26, and so does he.
Austin
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 3:32:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
How tough are they?
View Quote

Like I stated earlier. My KP90 has eaten literally  of rounds with very little problems. All of the jams in my pistol arise after an extended session of shooting at the range. Everything gets pretty gummed up after about 250 rounds with the loads I make with Win 231.
I have taken a couple of deer with the KP90 also, dragged it through the dirt while crawling through the South Texas brush.

How much more abuse would you subject it too?
I haven't run it over with my pickup and then tried to fire it, if that's what you are lookin for?

I may have the exception to the rule, but It has always gone bang when I needed it to.
View Quote

I mean, will it fire dirty, sandy, muddy, etc.?
And I'm wondering how hard it is to break components too.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 4:09:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
One passed through my collection a while back. It shot good but the high bore axis and bulky slide made me feel like I was shooting the timing light that I tuned chevy's with back in the 70's
View Quote

Lol, thats what they remind me of two, the good old T light. That was a good one. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 6:43:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wanna bet? Check out the results of the IHMSA Rimfire Production Class Finals. Beaucoup Rugers in the winner's circle and that's from a bone stock pistol. In fact, there were NO Brownings within the top five of any event last year.
View Quote

I have to agree with Jim.  My Ruger MkII has close to 50,000 rounds thru it and shows no significant signs of wear and is still more accurate than I.  I typically shoot mid 90's with it in NRA 50 ft Bulleye slowfire.  It's completely stock as Ruger built it.

My Browning on the other hand, which has about half as many rounds as the Ruger though it, may be as accurate but it keeps shedding parts such as the tabs on the safety and slide lock.  The "C"-clip that retains the recoil spring is still somewhere under my kitchen stove.  The hole that holds the slide stop trunion is enlarging causing a floppy slide stop.  Other than that, my Browning is much better than my Ruger...   NOT!!!

BTW my mom has a Ruger P series.  While I admit its not a real looker it is a relatively accurate and reliable firearm.  The stock trigger on her gun is pretty good.

Kent
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 7:38:10 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a P89 I rarely shoot just cause I don't like how it feels in the hand, and I have many other pistols I like better.  That said, ugly as the gun is I will put +P+ through it all day without a thought.  Wouldn't think about doing that with the Beretta 92.  Actually shoots a nice fireball out the front. [:)]
They don't have the quality feel of my Sig or Kimber, but they are a quality handgun.  The Ford Taurus of handguns. [;)]

I have three Ruger revolvers that I like a lot: a 7 1/2 in. Super Redhawk, a 6" GP 100, and a 4 5/8 in. Vacquero in .45lc with a .45acp cylinder.  They are all what I consider high quality guns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top