Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2003 9:44:30 AM EDT
Is it a requirement to actually have the card in your physical possession? (I got mine in the seventh or eighth grade, and I don't remember where it is right now, but I've had the number memorized for years.) Just wondering. [?]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 9:48:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Yep, it's in my wallet and it still has my 5th/6th grade signature on it.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 9:50:11 AM EDT
[#2]
NO!  IMO carrying one is a VERY bad idea.

I had my wallet stolen about 16 years ago.  There was an SS card in it as well as driver's license, credit cards, etc.  Some piece of fecal matter used it to assume (i.e. steal) my identity and ran up a bunch of credit card bills that he had no intention of paying.

I found out about it when the San Diego PD stopped me for a minor infraction.  My Evil Twin had failed to appear in court for a FELONY arraignment.  I was taken to jail and released on OR the next morning.  It took a lawyer and 6 weeks of confusion to get the criminal stuff and my credit rating straightened out.  Cost me about $3K.

Memorize the number and NEVER carry it with you!
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 9:55:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 10:18:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

ByteTheBullet  (-:
View Quote

LOL...   Me Too!
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 10:24:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I never carry my SS card with me.

I memorized my number, and I can't think of a reason somebody would want to see it as proof of ID (other than the DMV).

Av.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 11:01:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Also, the answer to "What's your Social Security Number" to all but your employer (he knows it already) is, "Tell me yours first."

Resist all efforts to use your SS number as an ID.  They say, "We have to have it for our computer."  You answer, "No, you don't.  You are not paying me reportable income, you are not my employer, and you are not the IRS, you don't need my SS number."
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 11:02:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

ByteTheBullet  (-:
View Quote

LOL...   Me Too!
View Quote

Same here.

I don't know of anyone who requires you to have your card in your posession.

I use my SS card all the time as a second ID. As far as someone stealing my SSN, it's on my drivers license anyway. I worry more about someone getting my info out of the trash than losing or stealing my wallet.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 11:02:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I know my number.
It's in my safe at home.
There is no reason to carry it with you, as it is NOT an identification number, it is a TAX IDENTIFICATION number.  No one needs to see it, no one needs to touch it.  Anyone who asks can politely go screw [:D]
View Quote

Yeah sure- tell thet to DPS when you want to renew your driver license. (that's the [i]official[/i]name)
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 11:15:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 11:16:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 11:18:58 AM EDT
[#11]
I agree,not very wise to carry it around(kinda fragile peice of paper too)

Learn it,live it,love it!
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 12:17:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I use my SS card all the time as a second ID. As far as someone stealing my SSN, it's on my drivers license anyway.
View Quote

Why don't you get it taken off of your DL and use something else as a second form of ID?
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 12:28:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I use my SS card all the time as a second ID. As far as someone stealing my SSN, it's on my drivers license anyway.
View Quote

Why don't you get it taken off of your DL and use something else as a second form of ID?
View Quote

Some states use your SSN as your drivers license number.  I'm not sure if you can have it changed.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 12:51:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 1:25:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ByteTheBullet  (-:
View Quote

LOL...   Me Too!
View Quote

Same here.
View Quote

Signed it Eddy in 1968 when I was 10. Had to cross it out and resign it Edward. Still have it.

[s]Eddy[/s] ED
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 1:39:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know my number.
It's in my safe at home.
There is no reason to carry it with you, as it is NOT an identification number, it is a TAX IDENTIFICATION number.  No one needs to see it, no one needs to touch it.  Anyone who asks can politely go screw [:D]
View Quote

Yeah sure- tell thet to DPS when you want to renew your driver license. (that's the [i]official[/i]name)
View Quote

I'll renew online.  No one needs to see, or touch my SS card.  
View Quote

They had to have your ssn at somepoint- you're just renewing the info you already gave them- it's like the thumbprint. They have that too.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 1:49:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Think I lost it a short while after I got my first job.  Anyway haven't seen it for 40 years of so.  Never replaced it, never needed to.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 2:15:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have my original card that I got as a kid. I don't remember what year/grade it was.. but, it's from the very early 70's.. :)
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 2:22:54 PM EDT
[#19]
as mentioned already.. not a good idea to have it with other documents that can/will be used against you.

Identity theft is big, and costs out the ass to 'correct' it.  best not to be giving the criminal element any help.

Link Posted: 5/16/2003 2:23:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Think I lost it a short while after I got my first job.  Anyway haven't seen it for 40 years of so.  Never replaced it, never needed to.
View Quote

I suggest you get a replace from the SSA A.S.A.P., because, here in Kalif. that is one aspect of identifying who you are, the other is the Kalif. drivers license. The Kalif. legislature mandated that you supply them your SSN; and at your next renewal, CalDMV will match your D/L name against your SSN name, if there is any descrepencies you've got to fix it. Ever tried to get another job without a SSN card?
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 2:31:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Some states use your SSN as your drivers license number.  I'm not sure if you can have it changed.
View Quote

In VA, your SSN [b]is[/b] your DL#. If I'm going to give someone my drivers license with my SSN on it why not use my SS card as a second ID.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 2:36:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Whats a social security card/number?[BD]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 6:41:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

In VA, your SSN [b]is[/b] your DL#. If I'm going to give someone my drivers license with my SSN on it why not use my SS card as a second ID.
View Quote

Yes, your SSN is your DL number by default.  However, when you renew your DL, there is a little check box on the form that you mark if you don't want your SSN on your license.  I haven't had my SSN on my DL for about 7 years, and I do not carry my card with me.  There is nothing in my wallet with my SSN.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 6:54:47 AM EDT
[#24]
If you have an FAA issued Airman Certificate where they used your SSN as a license number, you can write to the FAA and have them change it to a random number..  

I have done it, only cost me the price of a stamp.  I highly advise others to do so.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 6:58:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Well, my DL starts with a letter.
I made sure NOT to use my SSN when I moved back to VA.
I don't put my SSN on the 4377 anymore either, but we have to on the state form.

But it doesn't matter either way.

When Social Security was set ut, the number wasn't supposed to be used as an identifier for anything but collecting SS benifits.
Now it's a vital piece of info.

And we can trust the government with ?
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 7:03:01 AM EDT
[#26]
I guess I'm hosed by carrying my military ID card anyway.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 10:43:55 PM EDT
[#27]
If you ever loose your card,you must bring to their head office in Washington DC- Birth Certificate,Driver's liscense,your kindergarton teacher,your first pair of soiled underwear,your mother,and last but not least-the doctor who delivered you! That's why I keep mine in my safe!!!!
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 11:04:11 PM EDT
[#28]
I keep it in my lock box with the other important paperwork. Memorized the #, and the last 4 digits are printed on my fire helmet shield for ID. Too much of that identity theft crap going on.

But I never carry that little piece of paper around. I never use it unless I absolutely have to, either. I think you have to put it on your DL in CT now, as it was optional when I got my license. And its not on my CCW either, for CT or NH.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 11:29:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Gone.... like the 8track tape.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 4:21:32 AM EDT
[#30]
as it is NOT an identification number, it is a TAX IDENTIFICATION number.
View Quote

Not true, a TIN is a completely different animal. You can ask for a TIN to be used in place of your SSN.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 5:23:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Specifically, it IS a tax identification number, for paying you social security taxes.  That is why it is called a "Social Security Number".  It is specifically NOT for ID purposes.  It was stamped on the cards that the card was not for ID purposes.

In some states where the SS number appears on DL (though not the DL number), or state employment ID badges, those numbers have been removed due to fraud.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top