Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2003 1:56:40 AM EDT
cow manure on it and work it in?

My neighbor has offered me some cow shit for my little plot of a garden [about 800 sq. ft.]
Hes raising beef cattle, if that makes a difference.
I was going to avoid spraying weed killer on it, figuring, if I'm gonna grow food it might as well be clean.
Anything I should put in? Anything I should avoid?
Thanks all you green thumbs.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 2:41:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, I'm pretty sure cow poop won't endanger your garden's "organic" status--but there is a caveat when using manure in your garden.
If you're not going to compost it, wait until the Fall to place it in the garden--this will allow some natural composting to take place until Spring rolls around.
Uncomposted manure will tie up nitrogen in a form unusable by plants while it "cures" (composts).
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 2:45:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks llanero. I'll ask him how old it is and what hes done with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top