Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2003 5:59:31 PM EDT
2nd day of my "get back in shape" plan and DAMN! I didn't realize just how pitiful I'd become. I'm doing simple stuff like push ups, pull ups, dumbell curls and crunches. Several years ago (when I was in shape) I did 5-6 sets of 50 pushups per evening, tonight I was worn after 2 sets of 20 and I only managed 4 pull ups!

Anyone else had top deal with this phenomenon? I'm not fat or anything, just way out of shape. What would you guys do? (aside from not quitting, I know that part) Any useful advice/exercise?

My current goal is to simply get myself toned and fit enough that I can do a REAL workout without being unable to move my arms in the morning, once I get to that point I know how to go from there but I've never been this out of shape before.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 6:02:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 6:06:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I recommend oreos double stuff for you.
View Quote

Are you crazy?!?! Those have transfats! They're killing our children!
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 6:08:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 6:46:43 PM EDT
[#4]
More vigorous humping.

Oh, wait. You're married. Never mind.

cynic
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 9:04:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
More vigorous humping.

Oh, wait. You're married. Never mind.

cynic
View Quote

Hey now! I get plenty of vigorous humping!

that is.... when the wife lets me....
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 3:10:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Get yourself a goat.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 3:14:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Lol, I dont know I cant do one pull up with out popping my elbow but can do anything that dosent put pressure on it. So I dont curl often but can bench and do push ups and run etc.

I feel like I am 70 I hate my bones.

I say go with the goat.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 3:38:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Doing the exericises isnt that hard.  It's the next morning whe you try to get out of bed and realize you are so stiff that you can't move.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 7:07:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Keep going.

Remember two key words..

"Muscle Memory"
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 7:09:15 AM EDT
[#10]
why don't you get a chicken and chase it around an alley like Rocky?
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 7:12:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Going through that same phenomenon right now.

I feel like a slug.  Yah just have to gut through it and keep at it.  It's amazing how long it takes to get into good condition and how fast you fall out of it.

Link Posted: 5/16/2003 7:21:38 AM EDT
[#12]

Just go slowly at first and listen to your body.  Take the time to let it get adjusted and build up some muscular endurance before really kicking in the workout.  You'll be surprised how much more you can do in 4 weeks.

It's easy to burn yourself out and train too hard especially if you used to be in good shape and now trying to do the same workouts you used to do.  Workout hard enough to get sore but not so sore that you can't be 100% by the next workout.

Link Posted: 5/16/2003 7:26:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 2:25:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Make sure you give your muscles time to recover in between workouts.

Keep going and never quit.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 2:40:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 2:43:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Ast-ss.com has a lot of good articles and there is one about starting back to lifting.  I use their max-ot principles in my workouts but I am modifying their splits into a 4-day rather than the 5-day splits they seem to be so fond of.  Also make sure your diet is in check.  A good site to keep track of your cals is fitday.com.

As with anything you need to ease into exercise and diet slowly.  A lot of people tend to try to overdo it in the beginning and have marginal success which leads to quitting.  The type of exercise you do is totally dependent on your goals.  If you have any specific questions or want me to help you with a diet or workout routine dont hesitate to pm me or email me at [email protected]  Best of luck to ya!!
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 2:48:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If you have any specific questions or want me to help you with a diet or workout routine dont hesitate to pm me or email me at [email protected]  
View Quote

Does that apply to anyone or just Sumo2000?
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 2:50:43 PM EDT
[#18]
I thought you guys were all built like Arnold in the 80's  Like I am.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 2:54:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Yeah this getting old stuff sucks. I can still do most things just as well as when I was young, just costs more in pain afterwards.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 2:54:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 2:59:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you have any specific questions or want me to help you with a diet or workout routine dont hesitate to pm me or email me at [email protected]  
View Quote

Does that apply to anyone or just Sumo2000?
View Quote

I'm on some of the weightlifting boards as macho999.  I'll help anyone that wants to learn.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 3:04:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Make sure you give your muscles time to recover in between workouts.

Keep going and never quit.
View Quote

How many years is a good time to recover?

ED
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 3:15:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
i suggest more beer. You may not get fit but you won't care. [beer]

mike

Ps.  and it's a whole lot more fun than sweating to the oldies!
View Quote

Thats where discipline comes in, no beer until after I work out!

Of course, once I'm finished, its a free for all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top