Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/15/2003 3:26:32 PM EDT
Was getting the pool ready for the summer and when I turned the pump on, heard that familiar hum and then it tripped my circuit breaker.  So I reset the breaker and try again, same thing happens. I'm thinking the motor has either seized, the pump is clogged, or something worse. Anyone have any idea? What can I do to save the motor? Do I buy a new one? I want to save some money so please, HELP !!!!
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 3:53:59 PM EDT
[#1]
If the pump is clogged, it will cause motor to lag which makes the voltage drop and current increase until the breaker trips. Is there a short in the a wire or wires feeding it?  Both of these will make a breaker trip.

Has the smoke come out of the pump motor?  They put smoke in the motors at the factory, if it comes out you have to get a new motor with smoke still in it. [;)]
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 4:48:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Motor is probably stuck from either corrosion or other crud in the impeller. DO NOT keep resetting the breaker and trying to start it that way or you will burn it up if it isn't already damaged. If you can get a pair of channelocks around the shaft try turning it with the pliers. You may have to take the pump apart to get it free but that's probably where the problem is. There could also be rust, etc on the bearings in the motor itself, oil and hand turning should free it up, unless you're comfortable taking it apart, then tear it down and clean up the breaings.
pm me and I'll walk you through things.

jj
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 4:48:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Was getting the pool ready for the summer and when I turned the pump on, heard that familiar hum and then it tripped my circuit breaker.  So I reset the breaker and try again, same thing happens. I'm thinking the motor has either seized, the pump is clogged, or something worse. Anyone have any idea? What can I do to save the motor? Do I buy a new one? I want to save some money so please, HELP !!!!
View Quote

Happens to me every year. The impeller is probably stuck. Remove the basket and stick a screwdriver in the hole and get the impeller moving again - with the power OFF of course. Pool pumps last me about 5 years before they totally give out.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 6:50:09 AM EDT
[#4]
If you do ruin the motor, don't toss it.  You can usually find somewhere locally that will rewind the motor for much less than a new one.z
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 10:34:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you do ruin the motor, don't toss it.  You can usually find somewhere locally that will rewind the motor for much less than a new one.z
View Quote
Not when they're that small.  The break-even point for rewinds is now between 3 and 5Hp for a single-phase motor, between 10 and 20 for a three-phase.

These things are cranked out in volume on automated production lines.  Rewinding is labor intensive.  The only time rewinding a pool pump motor gets attractive is when the motor is physically a part of the pump, rather than something that bolts up to the pump.  Even then it's a push - a new one comes with a full warranty.  Rewinds are usually 90 days or 90 revolutions, whichever comes first.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 10:57:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Something to keep in the back of your mind is that it could be the breaker.  It is much more likely the motor but if the motor turns out to be OK than replace the breaker with a new one with the [b]same[/b] rating.

I had a breaker go bad once and it took me ahwile to finaly think about measuring the current.  It was fine and the problem was the breaker.

Good luck,

Shok
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 11:03:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 1:25:05 PM EDT
[#8]
yup the motor was stuck (rust) and i sanded and steel wooled and greased it. (should i have done that?) also the back end of the shaft where it sits on a bushing was rusted and needed lots of greasing.  i cleaned the whole thing up, put it back together and plugged it in!  [B]VOILA![/B] it ran like i just bought it. (ran it for a couple of minutes with no problem.)

[b]HOWEVER,[/B] upon re-installation to the pump,  it ran for a good 15 seconds and it stopped. like it wasn't getting any power. (a short maybe?) way out of my league now since i know absolutely nothing about electrical shit. i may bring the motor to the dude down the road who works on shit like this.  thanks for all the help guys. learned a few things from your responses!
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 1:29:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
yup the motor was stuck (rust) and i sanded and steel wooled and greased it. (should i have done that?) also the back end of the shaft where it sits on a bushing was rusted and needed lots of greasing.  i cleaned the whole thing up, put it back together and plugged it in!  [B]VOILA![/B] it ran like i just bought it. (ran it for a couple of minutes with no problem.)

[b]HOWEVER,[/B] upon re-installation to the pump,  it ran for a good 15 seconds and it stopped. like it wasn't getting any power. (a short maybe?) way out of my league now since i know absolutely nothing about electrical shit. i may bring the motor to the dude down the road who works on shit like this.  thanks for all the help guys. learned a few things from your responses!
View Quote
If it was that corroded, you may just have to suck it up and get a new one.  You'd better examine the pump pretty carefully too.  I'd bet its bearings aren't in any better shape.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top