Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2003 2:34:23 PM EDT
[url]http://www.msnbc.com/news/909497.asp?cp1=1[/url]

‘Matrix Reloaded’ villains draw fire

May 14 —  Fans are eagerly awaiting “The Matrix Reloaded” — but it’s made some people very unhappy. The villains in the flick are a pair of white-skinned, white-haired, red-eyed twins, and groups representing albinos say the movie unfairly stereotypes pigment-challenged individuals.

“FOR THE LAST 40 years filmmakers have used albino characters as villains, and they’re almost always vicious, inhuman characters, depicted as freaks,” says dermatologist Vail Reese. (Read his comments on skinema.com.)

Dr. Jim Haefemeyer of the National Organization for Albinism and Hypopigmentation tells The Scoop that the group has sent letters to movie-maker Warner Bros., but that the studio has not responded.

“They’re not albinos,” a Warner Bros. rep snapped to the Scoop. “They have dark eyebrows and black lips.”

When The Scoop helpfully pointed out that dozens of publications — from Variety to Time magazine — had identified the villainous twins as albinos, the spokeswoman said, “We don’t call them albinos. They’re dead. That’s why they’re pale.”
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 3:17:20 PM EDT
[#1]
If we ban "villains",  "vicious", "inhuman",  "characters" and  "freaks" from the text books everything will be allright...  [rolleyes]

NSB
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 3:22:29 PM EDT
[#2]
They were not albinos.  They have dark eyebrows, and their skin appears to be silver grey in color.  So, what are they really?  I couldn't see their eyes.  Sun glasses.

Bilster
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 3:26:12 PM EDT
[#3]
No shit they were inhuman.  They were computer programs.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 3:31:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
No shit they were inhuman.  They were computer programs.
View Quote

There it is.  

See what happens when common scense is used.  It blows the twinkle toed away.  They might actually start to stamer when confronted by this.  

Bilster

PS  When I use the term twinkle toed, I'm refering to the Mouth Pieces and Instigators, not to Albinos.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 3:08:31 AM EDT
[#5]
The villian in the latest Stephen Hunter book is an albino. I can recall many other albinos in the villian role though.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 3:23:17 AM EDT
[#6]
One question, does any non-homo give a crap?

Some disgruntled albino's gonna kill me for this...but...

KILL WHITEY!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 3:26:56 AM EDT
[#7]
WTF lol, do I hear some one with little pockets wanting big ones? lol
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 3:38:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't know about albinos, but Captain Lou ALBANO was pretty weird.......
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 4:01:39 AM EDT
[#9]
The worst bad guy you can have is an albino with an albino little person as a sidekick!  That will really get the people with too much time on their hands crying!
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 4:04:54 AM EDT
[#10]
The characters were partly based on 15th century vampires according to one of the articles I read.

No red eyes and, as I understand it, they actually mentioned why they were that colour in the movie.

This is nothing more than some unknown group trying to increase their fund raising.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 7:52:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Jak from James Axler's "Deathlands" series is an albino.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top