Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2003 10:48:15 AM EDT
My wife has a considerable amount of debt in the form of student loans. We consolidated them about 3 years ago when the interest rates were much higher. Is it possible to refinance them in order to lower the interest rate? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

-ruido
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 11:26:48 AM EDT
[#1]
ruido- I'm still payin mine too. as far as i know you can refinance them. Check with the finacial institution that did the consolidation, they should be able to give you info on the options.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 12:42:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I think that you can only reconsolidate if you get a new loan (take another class, etc) or you pull in one that's never been consolidated before.

Take that with a huge grain of salt because I know nothing of the subject, and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn last night.

Can someone help?
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 12:48:06 PM EDT
[#3]
In MOST cases they can only be consolidated once...but it's been a while since I worked in this field...you may be able to consolidate them as part of a credit improvement/loan consolidating "package" i.e. along with credit cards, etc.  but this may be at a higher rate then the usually low student loan rates you have now.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top