Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2003 9:40:50 AM EDT
[url]http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/TV/05/15/obit.stack.ap/index.html[/url]

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Robert Stack, whose granite-eyed stare and menacing baritone spelled trouble for fictional criminals in TV's "The Untouchables" and real ones in "Unsolved Mysteries," died at his home. He was 84.

Stack's wife Rosemarie found him slumped over in the couple's Los Angeles home about 5 p.m. Wednesday. The actor underwent radiation treatment for prostate cancer in October, but his wife said he died of heart failure.

"He was feeling so good," she said Thursday. "He had a bout with a tumor but that was gone. It wasn't that, it was his heart. He was too weak. He wouldn't have lived through a bypass."

Although he had a lengthy film career beginning in 1939 with "First Love," Stack's greatest fame came with the 1959-63 TV drama "The Untouchables," in which he played Chicago crimebuster Eliot Ness and won a best actor Emmy.

That role, coupled with his job as host of the reality series "Unsolved Mysteries," created an enduring good-guy image.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 12:04:33 PM EDT
[#1]
that sucks.   I haven't seen an episode of  The Untouchables, but I liked Unsolved Mysteries.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 12:11:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 12:13:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 12:33:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It's a damn good thing he doesn't know how much I hate his guts.
View Quote

And what solicits this heated response?  You catch him in bed with your wife or something?
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 12:38:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

And what solicits this heated response?  You catch him in bed with your wife or something?
View Quote

It's a line Robert Hays delivers in the movie [i]Airplane![/i]
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 12:51:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I remember watching him on the old "American Sportsman" TV show, lion hunting in Africa. The guy was a shooter. Also all the "Untouchables" episodes.

I hope he is having fun in the "happy hunting grounds" in the sky.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 1:02:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Robert Stack, [red]USMC[/red], PB4Y Gunnery Instructor.

[usa]
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 2:05:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Something personal? Robert Stack was pro-gun as far as i could tell. I remember seeing a couple pictures of him with a shotgun.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 2:32:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Something personal? Robert Stack was pro-gun as far as i could tell. I remember seeing a couple pictures of him with a shotgun.
View Quote

It's just a play on a line from the movie 'Airplane'.  He's just kidding.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 3:37:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 3:40:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 3:41:38 PM EDT
[#12]
He was also a champion skeet shooter and all around good guy.
View Quote

You betcha. He was one of the few Hollyweird-types who SUPPORTED the second amendment. I can remember when he used to have his own wingshooting column in Shooting Times not too long ago.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 4:02:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Unsolved Mysteries was pretty good even though he liked to refer to some of the guns as "semiautomatic" and "high-powered".

Seems no one ever uses "low-powered" handguns anymore.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 5:28:12 PM EDT
[#14]
What a bummer.
Nice guy.

Oh...I was shooting a low power gun the other day. I was bored with my 45 so I shot up acouple of old boxes of 9mm...[:)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top