Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/15/2003 5:52:45 AM EDT
I mean they only control the House, Senate, Whitehouse, Treasury Department, and Attorney Generals office.

Yet they still can't get a highly awarded and praised Hispanic appointed to a court.  This is in addition to all the other judicial nominees they can't get appointed.

The House just passed a tax cut that included a tax increase for workers outside the US.  The House Republicans made all sorts of statements that they aren't happy with it and want it removed.  Then WTF did they pass it for?  They are in control aren't they?

The Senate Dems are beating up Bush about the AW Ban and all the Republicans are taking it just lying down.

I do not understand why the Republicans are still acting like the cowering dogs they were when Clinton was in office.  They need to grow some balls and start beating on the Democrats for derailing everything.

Link Posted: 5/15/2003 6:09:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I mean they only control the House, Senate, Whitehouse, Treasury Department, and Attorney Generals office.

Yet they still can't get a highly awarded and praised Hispanic appointed to a court. This is in addition to all the other judicial nominees they can't get appointed.
View Quote

Maybe you already know this, so no insult meant....

The Senate runs by "rules" to get it's business done.  And one of the rules is that if there is a filibuster against a vote (such as the judges), it requires 60 votes to shut down the filibuster.

The republicans have a majority, but they don't have 60 votes.  Of course, a true filibuster used to require the people holding it to remain on the floor and arguing continually to keep it going.  If they left the floor, it was over.

But now they have a "gentlemen's agreement" to allow filibusters on votes without really being on the floor arguing.

I think the Republicans ought to make the Demos do it the old way and talk till they're hoarse.  It would probably hurt them in the media if they had to do that.

Link Posted: 5/15/2003 6:17:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I think the Republicans ought to make the Demos do it the old way and talk till they're hoarse.  It would probably hurt them in the media if they had to do that.
View Quote

I understand the rules and no offense taken.  The Republicans are just to nice to the Democrats.  They should make them talk until they are horse...and then make a point at showing the useless speeches the Democrats are making to the public who wants something done.

Bush was at the National Hispanic Prayer Breakfast talking about the gifts they bring to the nation.  Yet I have not heard that he mentioned anything about the Democrats holding up one of their own.  If Bush won't pound on the Democrats for their own actions then who will?  If Bush doesn't pound on the Democrats then how will the sheep know that the Democrats are out of line?

Even though the Republicans are in charge it still seems like the Democrats are controlling things.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 6:25:42 AM EDT
[#3]
The Republicans don't want to appear uncaring and uncompassionate in the eyes of the liberal news media and public opinion, as this will make it so much difficult for them to justify their actions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top