Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2003 12:23:50 AM EDT
BOHICA my fellow PRK citizens, er, Taxpayer Units...

[url]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A57358-2003May14.html[/url]

Calif. Governor Seeks $8.3 Billion Increase in Taxes

By Tom Chorneau
Associated Press
Thursday, May 15, 2003; Page A08

SACRAMENTO, May 14 -- A politically embattled Gov. Gray Davis (D) today proposed raising an array of taxes and borrowing more than $10 billion to help close California's budget deficit, which is projected to be a record $38 billion.

The $95.8 billion spending plan the governor sent to the Legislature differs greatly from his January proposal, which relied more heavily on spending cuts to bridge the gap. This time, Davis called for $8.3 billion in new taxes, including a half-cent increase in the state sales tax and higher taxes on cars, cigarettes and the wealthy.

Davis acknowledged that he is proposing higher taxes in part to win support from fellow Democrats who control both houses and have been reluctant to make deep cuts in education, health and other programs. The governor said his plan represents a compromise that can win bipartisan support, but some Republicans were dubious.

"Punishing taxpayers because liberal Democrats have spent us into bankruptcy does not make sense to us," state Senate GOP leader James L. Brulte said. "We're willing to negotiate on everything but taxes."

California already has one of the nation's highest sales taxes, at 7.25 percent, and each county has the right to raise it even higher. San Francisco's sales tax is 8.5 percent.

A lame duck because of term limits, Davis has the lowest approval rating of any California governor in 55 years: 24 percent. A movement to recall him is underway.

In his latest proposal, Davis scrapped a plan to pass on the costs of major health and welfare programs to cities and counties. Instead, he wants to shift a smaller number of programs to local governments and support them with $1.8 billion in new money from higher taxes on cigarettes and from an increase in the income taxes paid by the state's highest earners.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 12:31:25 AM EDT
[#1]
already 'united' :)

http://www.rescuecalifornia.com/

Recall Petition:
http://www.rescuecalifornia.com/petition.pdf
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 4:25:31 AM EDT
[#2]
In L.A. County, our sales tax is currently at 8.25%, and its going to 8.75%? I think the Dems haven't cut enough services. They just keep on ratcheting the sales and income taxes up and up with no end in sight. The Dems justified in terms such as we haven't raised the max percentage in 10 years or so. Personally for me that argument is pretty much BS.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 6:55:01 PM EDT
[#3]
You need to raise those taxes to help cover health care costs for the Illegal aliens!

It's the right thing to do!
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 11:47:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Turning what was once paradise into a third world country ain't cheap.

cynic
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 6:01:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You need to raise those taxes to help cover health care costs for the Illegal aliens!

It's the right thing to do!
View Quote

A substantial amount of L.A. County's budget is for medical care of the indigent, which include medical care for illegal aliens. The .5% increase of the sales tax is not even enough to close the gap.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 6:27:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 12:34:29 PM EDT
[#7]
$95.8 billion..wow, that's a lot of [s]pesos[/s]..err money.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 12:44:00 PM EDT
[#8]
CA sucks big time. I had to pay about 100 bucks to the feds (which I don't mind so much because it goes to the military and stuff) but I also had to pay 100 bucks to take care of wet backs too! I got the hell out of that state because the dems have run it into the ground. Now I wish it would just fall off the face of the earth!!
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 12:51:05 PM EDT
[#9]
RECALL DAVIS!!
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 1:01:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Being a citizen of California must be like living behind enemy lines.

ARH
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 1:03:33 PM EDT
[#11]
If you live in CA you are not a citizen you are a slave
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 1:05:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 1:10:16 PM EDT
[#13]
This is entertaining to watch, in a sick and twisted way.

Raise taxes, but don't piss off the majority.  

1. Lets hit cigs because smokers are addicted and even if we added a 100% tax to them every year, the smokers would just grumble and pay it anyway.  And most of all because they have not united into a voting block.  Safe bet.

2. Lets raise taxes on cars because most people NEED one to keep their job, so they will pay it and accept the increase as a necessity to remain employed.  Besides, whats an extra $350 on a $22,000 purchase.  They will hardly notice in a few months.

3. Lets raise sales taxes by .25% - .75% since the average Joe won't really notice it at the register.

4. Lets really increase income taxes on the "rich".  There's not enough of them to change an election outcome anyway.  And it also pulls more "disenfranchised" voters towards our way of thinking.

Oh yeah!  The USSR collapsed under the same rules of operation.  The only thing that is keeping CA afloat is the other 49 States sending their taxes to DC.  WoooHooo, let me get some popcorn!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top