Posted: 5/14/2003 11:04:45 PM EDT
Any of you frequent that board.

What are your impressions?

Any of you post there?

If so, is your board name different?

For reference: [url]www.thehighroad.org[/url]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 11:30:28 PM EDT
[#1]
It is basically thefiringline.com 2.  Good place to go for information but not really a social club like this place is.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 11:37:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm Airwolf over there as well.

I started on thefiringline not too long after 9/11 and moved over to thehighroad after TFL closed.

I'm taking a break from THR for a bit (haven't been on in about a week).  I appreciate the knowlege and experience that's represented there but it's been getting a little too PC for my tastes.

A community grows and changes over time.  I don't think Oleg is going to allow the site to grow to fit the desires of the users.  While I appreciate the difficulties in keeping a site on line and on track, I think Oleg and company have tried to keep to the straight and narrow a bit too much.

It's difficult to have an on-line community that ONLY talks about one thing and one thing only.  Part of the reason that I call ARFCOM home is that there is a wide range of topics with very few rules here... and if you need to really let your hair down, there's FA.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 12:43:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm over there.  usually check the site once or twice during a day.  sometimes take a day off.  same username, 'voilsb'.

I like it, but like Airwolf said, it's not really a good social board because non-gun related threads get locked pretty quick.  good for info, and some of the social stuff that comes up is fun, but I find ARFCOM more of a home, honestly.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 3:09:45 PM EDT
[#4]
PC isn't the word, try oppressive.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 3:42:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I post on there somewhat infrequently. Great site to get stats/info from, and good for just browsing. I don't post much though. The PC stuff wouldn't bother me so much if it wasn't so damn randomly enforced.

Case in point. There was a thread in the tech support form about the inconsistency of the 'personal attack' rule...how it applies to members, but you can say almost whatever you want about about public figures. The general consensus was that personal attacks on members are verboten, but against public figures is perfectly acceptable. So it's okay to call Michael Moore a sanctimonoius fat prick and hope he gets the cement treatment, but hen in a thread on I think the Silviera v. Lockyer decision, Angel Shamaya gets his hand slapped for calling the BATFE 'jack booted thugs'. WTF, over.

Hell, I remember one guy posted in the Gen section that his marriage just dissolved and he was real depressed. Here, you'd get an outpouring of support, and it'd pobably go multiple pages full of advice and well wishes. There it went about six posts before getting locked as off topic. That one really raised my eyebrow.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 3:47:02 PM EDT
[#6]
A few weeks ago one of their overly-PC responses on a thread had me furiously typing out a rant/manifesto/suggestions-type letter to Oleg and Co.

After 2 pages I stopped and shit-canned it.

The bottom line is that THR is a private site owned by a single individual and modded by people that seem to share a common idea and stick by it.  They set the rules and show little inclination to expand the scope of the board’s focus.

I can totally support their right to do that as it is private property but it doesn’t necessarily mean that I have to agree with it or play along.

Any on-line community will grow and change as time goes by.  There are high and low points and a good board will grow and re-tailor itself (within limits) to the needs of the community.  ARFCOM is a good example of that.  Do we get along 100% of the time?  Does everyone follow every rule every time?  Nope, but with the help of mods and staff that are adults and live in the real-world, as well as cyberspace, we do a pretty good job keeping things lively and civil at the same time.

I have the overwhelming suspicion that the mindset of THR has become “if we act like certain things, ideas and language don't exist then they will go away and we’ll be better for it.”  A bit too “let’s pretend” for my tastes and temperament.

Like I said, I’m giving THR a rest for a bit.  I did the same with GT a while back when things got a little crazy over there.

Oh, and if anyone is tempted to go running back to TRH and do a "look what they're saying about us" thread, trying to create a tempest in a teapot, please don't.  I'm not trying to start a war or even to change how THR is run, just voicing an opinion among on-line friends.

Remember it’s the only the Internet, it’s not worth getting upset about. [8D]
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 6:28:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 8:26:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, I can readily agree that there is a difference in the flavor of THR and AR15.com. I don't must get into many disputes so it's not a factor for me. There is only one thing that irks me when comparing the 2 sites. It seems like I can always get on THR and we all know that getting on this board can be difficult. Maybe, probably, this has something to do with the number of users. Many times I go to THR because I can't get in here, but I try to view this board first.

OK, I'll quit rambling, honest!

Don in Ohio
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 9:33:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Airwolf - is this Oleg Volk?
You would think a guy who posts pictures of naked womenz on his website would know something about freedom of expression.
etided becuz eye kant speel
View Quote

Yup, DF, the one and only Oleg Volk.

... WHAT NAKED WOMEN?!? [SHOCK]

I have a tremendous amount of respect for him and the amazing amount of work that he and his GF Betty (Runt Of The Litter) have done with both the site and RKBA in general but the overall tone of The HIGH Road has become a bit *too* high, if you get my drift.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 11:09:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Big difference is that there is no open "general discussion" section at the highroad.org, in that the GD section there really a general firearms discussion section. IE, topics must be firearms related.

So, the thread about the dissolved marriage was off topic, and thus locked.

Definitely an apples vs oranges comparison.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top