BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2003 8:24:33 PM EDT
[url]http://www.saljournal.com/stories/051403/new_okie2.html[/url]

Texas Democrats commended in Oklahoma House resolution

By JESSICA DICKERSON
Associated Press Writer

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -- Oklahoma's Democrat-controlled House of Representatives passed a resolution Tuesday commending Texas Democratic House members who fled that state to stifle redistricting plans they opposed.

A Republican-supported resolution that would encourage Oklahoma officials to assist Texas officials in returning the errant lawmakers to Texas failed.

The resolution commending the lawmakers, by Rep. David Braddock, D-Altus, came after dozens of Texas Democrats fled Austin, Texas, after discussing ways to derail a Republican plan to redraw Texas' congressional districts.

The absence of 58 Democrats on Monday left the 150-member Texas House short of the two-thirds quorum needed to conduct business.

The rebellious Democrats holed up in an Ardmore hotel.

The House resolution commends the courage of the Texas Democrats who "have decided to defend the rights of the minority and the more pressing needs of Texas families."

The resolution charges that a Texas congressman and the majority leadership of the House are more concerned with adding Republican members to Congress than the educational, health and other needs of Texas families.

The Democrats earlier blamed Republican U.S. House Majority Leader Tom DeLay for interfering with redistricting.

"I don't think they're breaking their oath of office," Braddock said of the Texas Democrats. "I think they're all fulfilling it by trying to meet the needs of those that have no voice."

Some House members were concerned that a similar move could occur in Oklahoma if the House supports the Texas lawmakers.

Braddock responded by saying members of the Oklahoma House are better at working together than their Texas counterparts.

The resolution, HR 1020, passed 47-44.

Another resolution, by Rep. Greg Piatt, R-Ardmore, requested that Oklahoma Gov. Brad Henry, Commissioner of Public Safety Bob Ricks, the Oklahoma Highway Patrol and other law enforcement officials assist Texas officials in returning the errant lawmakers to Texas.

Braddock commented that he wanted the Texas Democrats to stay in Oklahoma.

"This is economic development at its best," he quipped. "We want Texans coming to spend their money in Oklahoma."

The resolution, HR 1019, failed 50-46.

The resolutions do not have the force of law.

In a humorous moment, Rep. Ron Kirby, D-Lawton, read a proposal to grant Texas legislators political amnesty, welcome them to Oklahoma and grant them the honorary title of "Okie."

The proposal also called for a Cub Scout troop to be dispatched to the Red River to protect Oklahoma's border from Texas Rangers.

The idea met with laughter from most, with an occasional "boo."

Earlier Tuesday, Henry said he welcomed the Texas lawmakers, but was "not going to get embroiled in this political fight."

Republican State Chairman Gary Jones criticized Henry for allowing Oklahoma to become a safe haven for the Texas Democrats.

"These Democrat legislators south of our border are wasting taxpayers' money," Jones said. "They are behaving in an obstructionist manner and it's a publicity stunt, plain and simple. I'm embarrassed Gov. Henry and our Democrat-controlled House of Representatives would condone such a childish stunt."
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 8:32:53 PM EDT
[#1]
This my friend, is the Democratic party of today...no vision, no leadership, no new ideas. They are now the party of the disruptive and irrelevant....nothing to offer America but fear itself.

I hope they keep this up...we walk all over them for the next ten years.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 8:38:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you have any idea how much this pisses me off?

One of my best friend's dad is Phil King, and he's the guy who is trying to get this bill passed.

The chicken-dems have warrents out for their arrests. We need the help of the OK governer to take them into custody.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 8:46:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 9:12:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

One of my best friend's dad is Phil King, and he's the guy who is trying to get this bill passed.

The chicken-dems have warrents out for their arrests. We need the help of the OK governer to take them into custody.
View Quote

So charge them with a crime (like whatever the TX equivalent of 'misconduct in public office' is), and then have them arrested as fugitives from justice or whatever...

As noted in another thread on the same subject, compared to the stuff that has landed some of our legislators (2 dems, 2 GOP) on trial for felony misconduct in office, this TX walkout takes the cake...

After all, they'd be AWOL in the military, they'd be fired in the civillian world, there should be SOMETHING that can reach crybaby polticians across a state line...

Either that, or can you guys in TX [b]recall[/b] legislators (another little bit of recent WI history... This last year has been 'fun with recall petitions' year, resulting in the replacement of a few politicians who voted themselves a huge bank-busting pension deal, and the attempt to recall a state senator for forging nomination papers for governor)??

Link Posted: 5/14/2003 10:16:20 PM EDT
[#5]
as a oklahoma democrat ( i will vote for a republican when applicable)..i think its hilarious..

the republicans down in texas seem to be playing around with redistricting..with no justification. of course.. all redistricting will allow for them to take a seat or two from the democrats..just cause they have the votes to do it..
tough crowd..

the dems are just using their ace in the hole..

remember..southern democrats usually arent like those from out west in kalifornistan or anything above mason dixon.

i give the texican dems a nod for knowing the rule book. thats why they have rules..those who are smart...know them and use them to their advantage.

Link Posted: 5/14/2003 11:28:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don't expect any help from our new Democratic Governor, Brad Henry.  He can barely speak in public and is just an impotent Dem. figurehead who ran a single issue he cannot deliver.

If the Texas Rangers would just come to Ardmore and take them back, I am sure the Sheriff could be provided with something of  interest to keep him and his 2, or 3 deputies busy.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 5:25:15 AM EDT
[#7]
After 130 years of Democratic control of the Texas State House the smacked asses cry like a baby and bailout rather than conduct business with Republicans in control.  I thought the state of Pennsylvania had a screwed up legislature, whew!!!!!  I guess you cry like a baby, kick your feet and just tantrum your way to attention for the liberal press.[rolleyes]  
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 5:38:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I one day hope to wipe my boots on a democrat pelt.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 7:30:15 AM EDT
[#9]
This is so messed-up.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 7:41:01 AM EDT
[#10]
muddydog,

The legislature has every right to do redistricting.  It's a requirement after the census every 10 years, particularly for Federal elected offices.  You can't just wake up one day and decide to do it because you can.  If anything, it's the Democrats' fault for not taking up redistricting when they had control of the legislature in the last session.  

It's not hilarious that they have fled the state to avoid their elected duties - it's pathetic.

Your point about changing the votes is well-taken.  But the flip side of that is that the Democrats have done the same thing to favor their party, so it's not like you can say it's bad that the Republicans have a turn.  After all, Texans elected more Republicans than Democrats.

As far as you party loyalties go, you should start examining the state and national platforms with respect to personal freedoms and gun rights.  Remember, the DNC controls large allocations of money to influence decisions on votes..  Hillary has far more power than you might think.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 7:47:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Come get these bastards...and take some of ours with you.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 7:53:30 AM EDT
[#12]
What they are pulling is total BS. They say it is to "Get their meggage out". Unfortunately, all it is doing is depriving their constituents of a voice in the house.

This is what happens when you are the minority! You vote, you lose. You had your vote. Nothing was taken from you!

SAme thing with the repeated fillibusters in the Senate. Democrats should vote. If you lose, so be it. Obviously, the will of America is, and has been, on the sides of the conservative republicans for 2 election cycles. Hopefully, the senate goes 60-40, and we can shut them all up.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 7:56:09 AM EDT
[#13]
I wouldn't piss on a democrap if they were on fire. With every passing moment my complete disdain and disgust for democraps grows.

In my best Yosimite Sam voice I say "I hates democraps"...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top