Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2003 8:20:10 PM EDT
I need to make a webpage, and have no idea where to start.

Here's what it is for, I'm starting a defensive carbine club for Missouri, similar to what New-arguy did in Florida with his FDCC.  I want to get the word out (yeah, I'm posting here) so I want folks to be able to have a webpage I can direct them to, so they can get info and learn about the club.  Also a place to put current info, for the folks that don't regularly visit AR15.com.

The webpage (or would it be a website, what's the difference?) will be very small.  A few pages of text (rules, about us, maps, news, etc.) and a few pics to give the folks an idea of what to expect.  

So I assume with free webhosting, there will be a lot of popups and other annoyances.  I guess I can live with that, but the less popups the better.

Are there any gun related websites (couldn't find an MO ones) that will host such a group for free?  For instance, my buddy has a web-page on a Chevy enthusiast website, is there something like this for guns?  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 9:21:27 PM EDT
[#1]
What kind of internet connection do you have???

High-speed or Dialup?

If high-speed, host the site yourself (most people have their 'last computer' laying around somewhere. These machines make good webservers)... Load a copy of UNIX or Windows NT 4 (UNIX works better, NT/2k if you have to, DO NOT USE 9x or XP)

No cost, no popups and no one to blame but yourself if it goes down...

Link Posted: 5/14/2003 9:28:52 PM EDT
[#2]
lunarpages.com ... You'll thank me later.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 5:24:53 AM EDT
[#3]
godaddy.com  $9.95 a month. Great service.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 1:06:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the suggestions so far, I will look into them.

Another stupid question, I don't get the whole domain name deal.  Who the hell are you paying to use this name?  It seems kind of silly, if no one 'owns' the domain name yet, why do you have to pay someone yearly to use that name, and where the heck does that money go?  
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 5:18:49 AM EDT
[#5]
We've got the [url=www.pa-ar15.com]Pennsylvania AR15 Shooters Site[/url] and the [ulr=www.md-ar15.com]Maryland AR15 Shooters Site[/url] hosted at MSN.

Works out pretty well.  Fairly decent tools for building the pages, decent limits, etc...

I've got some personal pages hosted with my cable modem provider.  You could check w/your ISP.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 5:21:17 AM EDT
[#6]
The actual webpage address for the PA AR15 Shooters Site is:

[url]http://groups.msn.com/ThePennsylvaniaAR15ShootersSite[/url]

I just bought the rights (and redirect) to [url]www.pa-ar15.com[/url] for $12.50 per year from [url=https://www.registrarpdq.com/]Servers and Domains[/url] simply because it's easier to use.

Much easier to remember, eh?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top