Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2003 3:56:31 PM EDT
I bought Red Dawm on DVD (<10 bucks at Wal Mart) and was reading the little insert. It mentioned that Reagan was joking around before a press conference one day and said he authorized a nuclear strike against the USSR. What he didnt know was that his mic was already transmitting.

I have never heard of this before so Im guessing its just something that happened in the Red Dawn cannon. I figured Id ask anyway though.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 3:59:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 4:02:33 PM EDT
[#2]
HA thats great. Anyone have a link to someplace its on the net?
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 4:04:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Did happen.

"My fellow Americans, I am pleased to tell you I just signed legislation which outlaws Russia forever. The bombing begins in five minutes."
- Ronald Reagan, Said during a radio microphone test, 1984
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 4:11:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Happened in 1984.  From Micheal Reagan's book, "The City on A Hill," page 195.  Short version, Renaldus Maximus was in his Santa Barbara home getting ready to do his weekly Saturday radio address.  When asked to do a mike check, instead of doing the standard "one, two, three,"  he said the following:

"My fellow Americans, I am pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever.  We begin bombing in five minutes."

It didn't go out on the air, but was recorded by the audio tech; but some reports say that the Soviet Union went to a higher state of readiness for a little while (since they monitor all White House communications).  

Here's a link to the audio clip:

[url]http://www.archervalerie.com/ronradio.wav[/url]

[edited to change 198[b]3[/b] to 198[b]4[/b]]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 4:12:14 PM EDT
[#5]
So they unlocked your account, eh?
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 4:19:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Of course they did
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 5:33:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Did happen.

"My fellow Americans, I am pleased to tell you I just signed legislation which outlaws Russia forever. The bombing begins in five minutes."
- Ronald Reagan, Said during a radio microphone test, 1984
View Quote

Too bad we didn't drop our a-bombs on Germany.
Then Russia might not have been a problem.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 5:41:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I bought Red Dawm on DVD (<10 bucks at Wal Mart) and was reading the little insert. It mentioned that Reagan was joking around before a press conference one day and said he authorized a nuclear strike against the USSR. What he didnt know was that his mic was already transmitting.

I have never heard of this before so Im guessing its just something that happened in the Red Dawn cannon. I figured Id ask anyway though.
View Quote

True.  He was joking around with the mucky-mucks around him behind the podium.  He jokingly said "I'll announce the bombing starts in five minutes".  It was picked up by the microphones.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 6:29:19 PM EDT
[#9]
These things happen all the time.  Reagan had several as have most Presidents before and after.  I can't remember exactly what they were, but Bush the First and Billy Jeff both had some real doozies.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 7:06:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

I see you're from Virginia. If your parents get a divorce, will they still be brother and sister?
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 7:51:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

i was thinking the same thing[:(!]

CA your still a prick![:K]

Link Posted: 5/14/2003 8:01:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks, she dead yet?
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 8:16:46 PM EDT
[#13]
[BS2]
[BS]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 8:21:17 PM EDT
[#14]
lol...uh yeah that makes sense
but seriousley did she kick the bucket yet?
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 8:26:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thanks, she dead yet?
View Quote

That is just about the sorriest,low life,thing to bring into your grudge(I don't think its right to taunt another about the well being about whether a members loved one has died)

CA you need to grow up!  (Superdav you shouldn't call him that,as it takes a man to have one!)

Bob
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 8:34:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Hey hes the one who felt the need to post in my thread and call me a prick. He brought whatever he gets upon himself. By the way isnt a personal attack against the rules?
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 8:42:32 PM EDT
[#17]
do ya get pissed off when people hi-jack your threads?

the internet will make a man out of anybody bobbyjack
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 8:46:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Im not pissed. Im actually amused. Mostly by the fact YOU got pissed when you came to a public forum to whine about some dying waste of a person who was stupid enough to NOT have insurance after I pointed out exactly how dumb she was.
I see youre from Arkansas. If you ever want to come to Shreveport LA Ill show you exactly how much of a man I am.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 8:51:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Hey hes the one who felt the need to post in my thread and call me a prick. He brought whatever he gets upon himself. By the way isnt a personal attack against the rules?
View Quote

I don't know as you have been here four months,and personally attacked from day one!

What ever you like or dislike about this member shouldn't pour forth onto his family!

Bob
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 8:52:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Anything Im commenting on he publicaly talked about. As far as I am concerned its fair game. Too bad so sad.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 8:56:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
By the way isnt a personal attack against the rules?
View Quote

you must have forgot what started this
[url]ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=183447[/url]

and try this
[url]ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=185076[/url]

[:K]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 9:05:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you ever want to come to Shreveport LA Ill show you exactly how much of a man I am.
View Quote

is that a threat of violence? or are you a homo?
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 9:06:52 PM EDT
[#23]
No, its an invitation.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 9:26:17 PM EDT
[#24]
[center][red][size=6][b]IBYAIRL & TTID![/b][/size=6][/red][/center]

(in before your account is re-locked & this thread is deleated!)
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 9:26:58 PM EDT
[#25]
CA, please can the pissing match...

It's annoying...

We allready have enough of them going on here as it is (Yours would be #2 involving the letters C and A)...

Move on, guys...

Link Posted: 5/14/2003 9:27:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

I see you're from Virginia. If your parents get a divorce, will they still be brother and sister?
View Quote

I see you're a Kraut, gas any innocent people lately?

How's the fatherland rebuilding going?
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 9:38:24 PM EDT
[#27]

hey shivan, you tryin to hi-jack my hi-jack?

Link Posted: 5/14/2003 9:56:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top