Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2003 3:44:43 PM EDT
i've got a blister (really?)

should i pop it? is that how you get rid of them?

it's about 1/3 the size of a .22 short casing.

is there a special medicine i'm supposed to use to make it go away?
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 3:51:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Pop it, rip the skin off, and then put an anti-bacterial bandaid on it and leave it.  In a couple days it will be mostly healed.

Or you can let it pop itself, get infected, turn white and have dead skin falling off for a couple days and let everyone see who disgusting you are.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 3:54:43 PM EDT
[#2]
wow, that was heartfelt. it's on my foot so no one would see it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 3:59:30 PM EDT
[#3]
pics?
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 4:06:47 PM EDT
[#4]
this is blister advice I got from multiple army medics:

pop the blister on the edge with two small holes, opposite one another.  make sure it's on the very edge.  drain the blister.  put a band-aid on it or whatnot.  neosporin/other-anti-bacterial creme is okay to use, too.  keep it up till it's gone.

the antibacterial creme does just that ... keeps germs off.  the flappy skin is kinda an insulator to keep you from irritating the sensitive stuff underneath.  draining it removes a lot of the pressure and in general provides relief.  the band-aid helps keep it clean and keeps it from oozing (and sticking) onto your clothing.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 4:08:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's How:

Swab blister area with rubbing alcohol and let air dry.
Sterilize a needle for 10 seconds in a flame.
Puncture the edge of the blister near the skin.
Apply gentle pressure to squeeze out fluid.
Do not remove or rub off the top of the blister.
Apply antibiotic ointment, but avoid alcohol or iodine.
Cover with sterile gauze or bandage
Discard needle into sturdy plastic or metal container.
Change the gauze or bandage daily.
If pus or redness develop, seek medical attention.
Tips:

Don't burn yourself in the flame - hold the needle in a tweezers or with a glove or potholder on your hand.
Sterile blister prickers are a good tool.
Small blisters do not need draining, just protect them and they will shrink and disappear.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 4:39:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Just chew on it till it goes away.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 4:52:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
wow, that was heartfelt. it's on my foot so no one would see it.
View Quote

Sure was.  You didn't explain the foot part in your first post.  I've had many blisters on my hands lately from working on my house.  So that's what I was basing my response on.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 7:12:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

And you are how old? nine or so,and this is the first blister you have ever experenced?  Are you and SUPER-ALPHA a tag team?

Bob [:D]
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 5:29:42 AM EDT
[#9]
[size=6]?[/size=6]

Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

And you are how old? nine or so,and this is the first blister you have ever experenced?  Are you and SUPER-ALPHA a tag team?

Bob [:D]
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 6:37:01 AM EDT
[#10]
In general it is better to allow a blister to do it's own thing.  The fluid inside is sterile and pads the injury.  So if you can stand it, don't pop the blister.

If you must pop the blister, keeping the blister skin intact is important. So follow the advice given to pierce it with small holes along the edge using a sterile needle. Keep those holes covered with sterile dressings and antibiotic ointment as well.

Another method I've seen that works well is to use a curved suture needle with suture material.  Thread the suture through the blister, this allows fluid to wick out of the blister. Cut the thread from the needle and discard the needle.   Use only sterile, sealed suture kits. This is best done at night and allows the blisters to drain all night and prevents the holes from sealing shut. Remove the suture thread when you wake up in the morning as they would be irritating to walk on and could make matters worse.

If the blister tears open on it's own, you can protect it by sealing it shut again with super glue.

Deep blisters should be well protected with sterile dressing to prevent infection.

Blisters on the hands frequently tear open before you even notice they are there. Remove the excess skin and protect the sore for a few days.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top