Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2003 1:19:32 PM EDT
Hey guys.  In my lifetime, I have bought two bottles of Tannerite.  One of them went off with a satisfying boom and the other one was a dud!

So for you other tannerite people out there, have you ever had a dud?

Both times I shot the tannerite with my SKS.

I'm thinking maybe for the one that was a dud, I winged the top of the bottle and the bottle got torn open, but the bullet didn't actually hit the tannerite, although I'm not sure about that.  Maybe it was just a dud.  What gives?
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 1:29:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I had 2 duds.  Both of them however may have a very good reason for being duds:

Dud #1:  Tannerite bottle floating in a lake,  shot with Winchester USA 45 grain JHP.  Bottle and water flew up into the air, then bottle filled with water and sank within seconds.

Dud #2:  Tannerite bottle hung nest to a hornets nest in a tree, shot with a handloaded Hornady 40 gr. V-Max.  Bottle burst open showering the ground with the binary ingredients.

I have shot many other bottles with great results, so I have made a couple theories for myself...

Never try to detonate Tannerite through water.  The binary may be ruined in a very short time.

Never try to detonate Tannerite with a handloaded, non-chronographed, light bullet.  Sure a .30-30 will detonate Tannerite, but perhaps my little handloaded pill didn't have enough juice.

I may have just gotten unlucky with those two bottles, but at $5 a pop I don't want to do any controlled experiments!
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 1:49:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 1:59:34 PM EDT
[#3]
KY-Bob brought a case to the Kyana shoot at Knob Creek this past weekend. We had very satisfying results. Mrs AR15-Nut whacked one in a computer and sent pieces flying over 100 yards. It was beautiful!
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 7:15:36 PM EDT
[#4]
DevilsAdvocate gave me the video that comes with the case. They show it to be so stable that it will NOT go off if hit with a 9mm or .22 and they demonstrate that. It must be hit with a "high-powered" rifle. Also, wait ten minutes after you mix it.

Edited to add, I would strongly prefer the occasional dud to the occasional "OOPS!"
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 7:21:19 PM EDT
[#5]
... Two Whole Bottles?

... Get back to us after several cases.

[size=3]TURN YOUR VOLUME WAY HIGH FOR THIS [url=http://www.cavalryarms.com/vids/AZshoot1.WMV]DEMO[/url][/size=3]
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 12:23:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They show it to be so stable that it will NOT go off if hit with a 9mm or .22 and they demonstrate that. It must be hit with a "high-powered" rifle. Also, wait ten minutes after you mix it.

View Quote

Why do they discriminate against poor people like me?
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 1:55:34 AM EDT
[#7]
7.62x39 isn't exactly what I would call "high-powered"; perhaps this is the reason for the dud?
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 2:37:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
[size=3]TURN YOUR VOLUME WAY HIGH FOR THIS [url=http://www.cavalryarms.com/vids/AZshoot1.WMV]DEMO[/url][/size=3]
View Quote

Sweetness.  That looks like it was a lot of fun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top