Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2003 10:13:29 AM EDT
I just bought a used Springfield Armory SAR-8 (G3 clone), one of the Greek imports.  According to S.A., it left their factory as a complete rifle in July, 1994, before the AWB ban.  It's the Sporter model.

However, as sold to me, it has a standard G3 pistol grip and buttstock and a flash hider.  Is the rifle legal in this configuration?  My understanding is that the 1989 ban would not apply here as long as any replacement parts were of U.S. manufacture.

So, next question would be, if the rifle is a legal 94 preban, can I then legally put an A3 collapsibile stock on the thing?  If not, why?

I'm totally confused, guys.  Who writes these stupid laws, anyway?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 10:25:03 AM EDT
[#1]
The fine senator from the state of California wrote this law. You can email her here:
[url]http://capwiz.com/gunowners/mail/?id=347&type=CO&state=CA[/url]

or better yet, write her a snail mail here:

Senator Dianne Feinstein
One Post St., #2450
San Francisco, CA 94104
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 10:35:28 AM EDT
[#2]
if the rifle is a legal 94 preban you can do any thing you want except put in a full auto trigger group.

welcome to the club!
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 10:35:37 AM EDT
[#3]
A butthole counts as a Pistol Grip for the 94 Ban. If the rifle had either a threaded barrel, flash hider, or bayonet lug on 9/13/1994, you can add any evil features you want as long as you make sure it has the right number of US parts. If it has <= 10 imported parts from the following list, you can add a folding stock...assuming it had either a threaded barrel, flash hider, or bayonet lug on 9/13/1994.

1) Receiver
2) Trigger Housing
3) Sear
4) Disconnector
5) Trigger
6) Hammer
7) Pistol Grip
8) Buttstock
9) Handgaurds
10) Bolt Carrier
11) Bolt
12) Gas Piston
13) Operating Rod
14) Barrel
15) Barrel Extension
16) Trunion
17) Muzzle Attachment
18) Magazine Body
19) Magazine Follower
20) Magazine Floorplate
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 10:58:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Gun laws are more than idiotic. Even having them explained, I am still confused. I have never heard anybody agree(100%) on what is legal and what isn't. Even the people that are supposed to enforce the laws are confused. I think when they come to get you, it does not matter how well you tried to follow the "alleged" laws they are still going to get you for something. How did we ever get to this point?
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 11:22:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
if the rifle is a legal 94 preban you can do any thing you want except put in a full auto trigger group.

welcome to the club!
View Quote

Actually, he *can* buy a registered sear. [BD]

Link Posted: 5/14/2003 11:49:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

...If the rifle had either a threaded barrel, flash hider, or bayonet lug on 9/13/1994...
View Quote

So if it did NOT have either a threaded barrel, flash hider, or bayonet lug on 9/13/1994 it would be classified as a postban preban?  Or would the government refer to it as a preban postban?  Damn, I love those guys.  Without them, I wouldn't be here typing this nonsense. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 12:05:21 PM EDT
[#7]
In a few minutes the TIA will have obtained this message thread resulting in a terrorist alert. At that time it will be determined whether or not your rifle is legal. Should you hear knocking at your door, the answer is no. If your door comes crashing down without any knocking the answer is still no.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 2:15:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Update:  Things are looking good, the front door is still on its hinges and I don't smell any smoke. [;D]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 2:26:01 PM EDT
[#9]
don't worry, it's legal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top