Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2003 9:51:19 AM EDT
First Id like to say that this is NOT a clone topic. I made this thread for the purpose of a poll. If you want to seriously argue the matter then go [url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=179988&w=myTopicPop]here[/url]

but please try to keep the bickering to a minimum here.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 10:02:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, EGA or not, but I think that I would be willing to cover it up as a compromise.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 10:04:39 AM EDT
[#2]
People can dress up as little orphan annie for all I care.

Now, impersonating a service member (either to defeat security measures or for financial gain) is another thing entirely....
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 10:10:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Like I care what someone decides to wear.

You can do alot worse than wearing camo in public.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 12:27:22 PM EDT
[#4]
What if only Marines were issued Kevlar?

All the other armed forces would just have to get hit by shrapnel and small arms fire and die.
Thats ok thoug because only the MArines were issued it! All other men & wemon in harms way are just 2nd rate soldiers.

Bottom line, if something is more effective in saving more of our brave armed soldiers lives then they all deserve to have this camo!

[u]You can then argue the point about civilians being able to own MARPAT since we are the Militia.[/u]

Just my .02!
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 12:32:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Bottom line, if something is more effective in saving more of our brave armed soldiers lives then they all deserve to have this camo!
View Quote

I agree 100%
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 12:48:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yes, EGA or not, but I think that I would be willing to cover it up as a compromise.
View Quote

Those are my feelings as well.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 1:01:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Seems kinda weird question to me.  Cammies were always available in surplus shops, what makes MARPAT so special?

Seems kinda like not allowing someone to wear a suit, or a dress shirt and tie unless they have a white collar job...  [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 1:22:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Out of respect for Marines who earned the EG&A and put their lives at risk to protect our freedom I would NEVER wear the EG&A in any form.

Besides, I don't want to get my ass beat up by angry Marines.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 1:27:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 1:37:43 PM EDT
[#10]
yes, but I wouldnt wear it with the EGA. thats a symbol I think should be EARNED. also, I dont want any angry marines beating me into the ground.

I figure eventually an army/airforce version will be created with out any symbols, and ill probably get some of that.

there are a few knockoffs of the stuff allready w/ the same pattern, slightly lower Quality, and no EGA, so maybe try getting some of that instead... would help keeping the angry marines at bay heh.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 1:37:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Its a tree suit for christs sake. If you need a uniform to feel important or good about yourself, that sounds like a personal problem. Maybe you should seek help or therapy. If you want to wear a set of cammies, who cares. Its just a set of cammies. If your trying to impersonate someone or something, you need help too and thats also a personal problem. Get in line with the cry babies who lack self confidence. I'm sure that "session" will be interesting. [:)]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 1:38:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 1:39:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Seems kinda weird question to me.  Cammies were always available in surplus shops, what makes MARPAT so special?

Seems kinda like not allowing someone to wear a suit, or a dress shirt and tie unless they have a white collar job...  [rolleyes]
View Quote

Because somebody at the USMC decided to make their cammies proprietary by sticking EGA's all over the uniform. So now they can point to those  that wear it as disrespecting the EGA. Never mind that sticking it all over a uniform like some corporate tag isn't exactly my idea of respect. If anything, it cheapens it to have 10 or so of those things on your pants/jacket/cover.

It'll keep folks that respect the EGA from wearing it, but I don't think it should have been done in the first place. And it isn't exactly working, since ebay's filled with marpat cammies.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 2:20:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yes, anyone should be [i]allowed[/i] to wear anything they like.
View Quote

Exactly, my friend! This allowence is for  reason - the love and support of our armed forces and country! It sure makes people notice, and that is the point, IMHO. Maybe it would inspire others to join and serve... maybe not... never know.

There are many ways to serve our country with honor... but the most important thing, is to serve, period (IMHO).

Eric E
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 2:39:58 PM EDT
[#15]
WHAT'S SO SPECIAL ABOUT MARPAT??
Civilians are allowed to wear the woodland cammo that our miltitary wears, including the Marines while they are switching to MARPAT.
Civilians are allowed to wear clothing with the EGA design on it.
I don't see no difference in the rights of civilians wearing the MARPAT design of Marine BDUs as they had with wearing the woodland design. As far as I know, the government didn't issue any legislation and laws that MARPAT was to be worn by Marines only.
The only offense is when you would start adding medals, badges and chevrons to military and law enforcement uniforms and misrepresent yourself as someone of a military barnch or LE agency.
Are you guys going to now say that non-Marines cannot get high-n-tight haircuts now?

[b]ArmaLiter[/b]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 2:59:16 PM EDT
[#16]
funny how we reverse enginered it from the Canadians and there CADPAT.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 7:01:12 PM EDT
[#17]
As long as this is still the home of the brave, & the land of the free. Yes! I see folks all the time with EGA stickers on their cars, & I doubt their all Marines.[:D]
[center]SEMPER FIDELIS![/center]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 7:30:57 PM EDT
[#18]
ArmaLiter,
 youre incorrect. it is not proper for civilians to wear woodland uniforms either. it is a violation of federal law. minor yes. but still illegal.

11004. LAWS PERTAINING TO THE UNIFORM
1. Per 10 U.S.C. 771, no person, unless other-wise authorized by law, except a member of the Marine Corps may wear the uniform or a distinctive part of the uniform of which is similar to a distinctive part of the Marine Corps uniform.

2. According to 18 U.S.C. 702, whoever, in any place within the jurisdiction of the United States or in the Canal Zone, without authority wears the Marine Corps uniform will be fined not more than $250 or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.

3. According to 10 U.S.C. 772, the Marine Corps uniform may be worn by personnel not on active duty under the following conditions:

a. Retired Marine Corps officers may bear the title and wear the uniform of their retired grade.

b. Former Marines who are discharged honorably or under honorable conditions from the Marine Corps may wear their uniform while going from the place of discharge to their home of record, within three months after discharge.

c. Former Marines not on active duty who served honorably in time of war in the Marine Corps may bear the title, and as authorized by regulations prescribed by the President, wear the uniform of the highest grade held during that war (subparagraph 11002.1).

d. While portraying a member of the Marine Corps, an actor in a theatrical or motion picture production may wear the Marine Corps uniform provided the portrayal does not tend to discredit the Marine Corps.

e. While attending a course of military instruction conducted by the Marine Corps, a civilian may wear the uniform prescribed by the commander of the installation conducting the instruction.

read the regs here:
http://www.tecom.usmc.mil/mcub/library/MCUR/URTOC.htm

what this means is that since it is illegal to improperly wear the uniform, the only way to wear it properly is if it is complete with rank and insignia. which would be impersonation so its a catch-22. just buy some realtree or foriegn stuff and be done with it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 7:31:58 PM EDT
[#19]
As long as one is not impersonating a Marine… I think the taxpayers who paid to design this camo pattern should have full access to it.

Of course I want a F-18 toooooo

youre incorrect. it is not proper for civilians to wear woodland uniforms either. it is a violation of federal law. minor yes. but still illegal.
View Quote

Oh please.

I really think that would be a hard sell in a court of law.

Once a single item gets into general public use it ceases to be “distinctive”.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 7:28:16 AM EDT
[#20]
IF it has the Marine logo, no.  BUT, if a civie version is made, no reason not to.  After all, as one of the owners, I certainly have a right to use my own property.

I (my tax dollars) paid for MARPAT's development, therefore I am a part owner.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 8:58:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 2:40:47 PM EDT
[#22]
IBTL
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 12:36:22 AM EDT
[#23]
IBTL[:)]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 1:17:38 AM EDT
[#24]
IBTAL
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top