Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/27/2001 11:10:30 PM EDT
I have only 2 handguns. a beretta 92 and a high standard .22lr. I want a fairly cheap handgun that will that can take some abuse. My plan is to have a handgun for when I am backpacking. I don't want anything aluminum because my beretta has to be babied somewhat to stay in good shape. I was thinking about a ruger p-90 or a used glock of some flavor. It has to withstand moisture and dirt. Any ideas?
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 11:12:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out the CZ-75 in 9mm.  They are $349, take 15 rnd hi-cap mags, steel frame, very reliable and very good value.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 11:15:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Usually if it is very good at withstanding the elements, it isn't cheap. Don't waste your money on a "cheap" handgun, it is like buying a cheap tool to work on your car with, it never works when you need it to. Save your money and buy a Heckler & Koch.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 11:15:26 PM EDT
[#3]
a glock for sure. my glock 19 isn't picky with ammo and they are known for toughness. there might be a better one out there but the glock will do the job. just can't use lead bullets unless you get a replacement barrel. which means nothing to me.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 11:17:24 PM EDT
[#4]
H&K USP 45

Great!
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 11:36:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Go to the Equipment Exchange. There are a couple of Glock 23's for sale. Benchrest1000 has a slightly used one for $420 delivered and Costa Arms has a NIB 23 for $430 + $12 shipping. A Mod 23 will carry nicely, weather the elements and will last a lifetime with care.
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 11:46:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Sig Pxxx, and never look back...
Link Posted: 4/27/2001 11:55:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll 2nd the H&K USP, I LOVE mine :)
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 12:00:36 AM EDT
[#8]

M1911A1
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 12:19:09 AM EDT
[#9]
You can't lose with a Glock 17 or 19.  Plenty of hi-caps still available and they will take a beating.  Glock 22 or 23 not a bad choice either if you want more stopping power.
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 12:21:29 AM EDT
[#10]
I had a Ruger P90 in .45ACP and loved it!!  The only reason I sold it was to get a Sig.  With the poly frame and loose tolerances, the Ruger was very reliable and easy to keep clean.  Plus, it would shoot anything from ball ammo to hollow points to wad cutter bullets.

For $300, it can't be beat, except maybe by an old S&W police revolver in .357.

sgtar15
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 12:25:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
H&K USP 45

Great!
View Quote

Ditto!
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 12:25:29 AM EDT
[#12]
I have most of the pistols previously mentioned.  For your requirements I would recommend the Glock 23.  Great, rugged, all around handgun.  I am a bit partial to my Kimber, but the Glock is cheaper and rugged as all get out.  They are just not very pretty.

Have you thought about a revolver?  You can get a ruger GP100 in .357 pretty cheap.
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 12:35:14 AM EDT
[#13]
I love my Glock, Para Ordnance, 1911, and Ruger SP101. However, you mentioned it was for use while backpacking. Is the area you're hiking in home to cougars, mountain lions, grizzly's, or other dangerous wildlife? If so, I'd want your basic .44 Mag (probably a Super Red Hawk since S&W is off the menu). As much effect as a round or two of .45 ACP may have on a human, a grizzly might just get pissed. Plus, in a wild animal situation, taking cover is kinda not part of the equation - the critter ain't shooting at you. Therefore, the gun going BANG without fail might just be the most important thing to consider. Sure the above mentioned autos are reliable, but like comparing an AR to an AK, the revolver is inherently more likely to answer the call. Concealement shouldn't be an issue, and when something with big teeth is looking at me like a ham sandwich, I'd want the extra power. A very large Bowie knife would also be a good idea in this situation, just in  case.....
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 1:09:09 AM EDT
[#14]
I'd go with something chambered for the .45acp. Paraordnance,Glock,Sig,HK....
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 1:15:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
H&K USP 45

Great!
View Quote

Ditto!
View Quote

Double ditto!

Might be out of your intended price range though.
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 2:48:40 AM EDT
[#16]
You didn't say what your purpose is, but whatever you get, keep safety in mind when figuring out how you're going to carry it.

You don't want something snagging it (branch, pack frame, shrub, etc.) and causing an AD into human flesh.  When you're off the beaten path, even ordinarily survivable injuries can be deadly.

I would think about hammerless, or at least a holster with a strap over the hammer.

[red][size=4] P.R.K.
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 2:53:02 AM EDT
[#17]
H&K USP
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 3:36:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Check out the CZ-75 in 9mm.  They are $349, take 15 rnd hi-cap mags, steel frame, very reliable and very good value.  
View Quote

Raven picked a winner as far as an inexpensive -not cheaply made pistol.

I have shot them and I was impressed.

Handguns in general  - no question - HK.

Handguns that might fit your requirements if you are patient and willing to look around:

Used HK - USP .45 full size or compact

Used Sig P226 or P220

Link Posted: 4/28/2001 4:22:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have most of the pistols previously mentioned.  For your requirements I would recommend the Glock 23.  Great, rugged, all around handgun.  I am a bit partial to my Kimber, but the Glock is cheaper and rugged as all get out.  They are just not very pretty.

Have you thought about a revolver?  You can get a ruger GP100 in .357 pretty cheap.
View Quote
                                                   gp100---3"----blue.....[uzi]
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 4:23:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I had a Ruger P90 in .45ACP and loved it!!  The only reason I sold it was to get a Sig.  With the poly frame and loose tolerances, the Ruger was very reliable and easy to keep clean.  Plus, it would shoot anything from ball ammo to hollow points to wad cutter bullets.

For $300, it can't be beat, except maybe by an old S&W police revolver in .357.

sgtar15
View Quote
                                                   p-90 with poly frame?????
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 4:31:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Look at http://www.isrealarms.com for a quality

1911 clone. You probably can get one for $350+.

All parts are interchangable.  They have a selection of models too.  Everyone needs a 1911.
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 4:44:32 AM EDT
[#22]
The best backpack gun I ever had was a Magnum Reseach Mountain Eagle.It was .22 cal,had a polymer frame,6" barrel and 15 rnd mag.Unfortunatly they are no longer avail.I bought one in 1991 for $200.
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 4:55:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Everyone likes Glocks, .45's and other medium sized handguns in the woods.  I myself have a Glock 19, Colt Officers ACP, and a Keltec .32.

I have backpacked over 500 miles of the AT from Springer Mt. to Damascus, VA., much of it solo. I never carried a handgun.  

However, I can relate to the sense of security one gets when you are packing some heat.  Especially at night when you hear that stick crack right outside your tent.  

The reason I never carried a gun is very simple: weight.  Guns are heavy.  If you are going to do some serious humping, you dont want to lug 2 lbs of steel up the trail.

The only real threat on the trail is other humans (with maybe the exception of out west in British Columbia or Alaska where you may run into Grizzly country, but as mentioned if you shoot one you may only piss him off).

I would recommend the Keltec .32 for personal protection on the trail.  Very light, 6-8 ozs.

As stated, IMO, humans are the only real threat. To avoid situations, never camp near a road crossing (drunk rednecks like to hike in a couple hundred yards and party and can cause mayhem) and when crossing roads be mindful of passersby and dont talk to much to strangers.  

Most trail folks are great, very similar to gun people.  Seriously the odds are slim you will have problem.  I belive there have only been about 2 murders on the AT in 50 years.  

Check out www.trailplace.com, a site dedicated to the AT and backpacking.  There are plenty of forums to discuss this topic.  However, as stated, most folks wont be carrying a weapon.

Happy trails
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 8:56:22 AM EDT
[#24]
When the Glocks first came out, my local dealer would do a "Glock Test" where he took a 10 inch sawed off shotgun barrel and wack the slide of a new glock. The barrel was beat to crap and the glock did not have a scratch.

Link Posted: 4/28/2001 9:20:32 AM EDT
[#25]
I have 3 HK`s 9mm compact, 45 compact, 45 Full size. If you have the cash get an HK.

However, REGARDLESS of what some may say about Ruger because of their political feelings. You cant go wrong with ANY Ruger. Good price and VERY reliable.
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 9:29:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I love my Glock, Para Ordnance, 1911, and Ruger SP101. However, you mentioned it was for use while backpacking. Is the area you're hiking in home to cougars, mountain lions, grizzly's, or other dangerous wildlife? If so, I'd want your basic .44 Mag (probably a Super Red Hawk since S&W is off the menu). As much effect as a round or two of .45 ACP may have on a human, a grizzly might just get pissed. Plus, in a wild animal situation, taking cover is kinda not part of the equation - the critter ain't shooting at you. Therefore, the gun going BANG without fail might just be the most important thing to consider. Sure the above mentioned autos are reliable, but like comparing an AR to an AK, the revolver is inherently more likely to answer the call. Concealement shouldn't be an issue, and when something with big teeth is looking at me like a ham sandwich, I'd want the extra power. A very large Bowie knife would also be a good idea in this situation, just in  case.....
View Quote

I'm gonna agree with Gus on this one...When a person is hiking / backpacking in dangerous terrain...chances are, if you are being "stalked" by an animal, the animal has a definate advantage over you, mainly, the element of surprise. So, when you are wrestling on the ground with a mountain lion, or running from whatever,pissing yourself etc... will you think enough to chamber a round??? or remember to flip the safety off??? I would without question, be carrying a magnum REVOLVER... .357 or .44 mag. ....NO clips , safetys ,or jams. Just 6 reliable, animal stopping rounds. You know, without any question, it will shoot when you pull the trigger.  There is no way to predict a persons reaction to a life threatening encounter. therefore a REVOLVER only helps  level the playing field....

Don't get me wrong, I love my pistols too...  

I just think a revolver is better for unexpected... surprises. [:o]
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 9:47:39 AM EDT
[#27]
I used to backpack quite a bit.  Not sure if you are talking day trips or weeks on the trail. We used to do the weeks on the trail thing.  My primary concern was finding the lightest gun available that had sufficiant knock down power. As you know its often a choice of carrying an extra pair of socks or a gun that weighs 3oz more. My first trip I learned quickly what was needed and what was not. I swear I could feel it when a fly landed on my pack.  My concern was not so much anamals except the two legged variety. I would suggest you look into the titanium revolvers or autos made by Taurus although I suspect Titanium is not much more corrosion resistant than aluminum alloys. But they have some very light guns. Other options I would look at would be the Stainless/Polymer .40 or 9mm autos by KelTec (inexpensive) or Taurus. Many of the other guns mentioned here are much better guns all around but you did say cheap and backpacking (weight).
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 10:14:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Taurus model 617...Total Titanium .357 mag....7-shot cyl.  2" ported barrel....19.9 oz....

Not cheap though....

I have one & love to carry...sometimes forget I have it...
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 10:17:44 AM EDT
[#29]
I guess I should have clarified. I want this gun partially for the idea of a security blanket. But also I want a gun I can take into the wilderness without worrying about dropping it or it getting rained on. As i said before I love my beretta, but it needs to be babied with the aluminum.  There are not many large animals where I hike. Most likely I would run into a black bear, which is not something that I am terrified of, I've delt with them before. There are mountain lions and other things, but I really don't think I would need something like a .44 mag, but if I was an expert I guess I wouldn't have to ask.
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 10:20:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Durability? Get a Glock
Vs. animals? I heard 10mm should suffice
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 10:23:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Though it's sort of goofy looking and nothing to brag about, the Ruger P95D is a pretty good deal @ $300.
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 10:30:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Titanium, like plastic does NOT rust or corrode. Also won't melt like a Glock if you dropped it in the campfire.....Ha Ha [:)]
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 10:35:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I have only 2 handguns. a beretta 92 and a high standard .22lr. I want a fairly cheap handgun that will that can take some abuse. My plan is to have a handgun for when I am backpacking. I don't want anything aluminum because my beretta has to be babied somewhat to stay in good shape. I was thinking about a ruger p-90 or a used glock of some flavor. It has to withstand moisture and dirt. Any ideas?
View Quote

Obviously lots of choices here - but the right choice for you depends on you.

Are you willing to invest the time to become familiar and proficient with your selection?

If you are a novice or don't have the time to invest - you should stick to a simple approach - revolver or safe action (e.g. Glock) or other DAO (double action only).

If you CAN and WILL invest the time - a 1911 or other semi-auto pistol with manual safey mechanism is a fine choice.

Looks like you need light weight and low maintainance.  I would suggest a Glock - their track record is well documnented. Choose whatever caliber you deem appropriate.  A Glock 30 is a compact .45 caliber... should take care of any and all vermin you may encounter - crawling, 4 legged, or 2 legged.

[sniper]
The Sniper
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 10:37:53 AM EDT
[#34]
glock ...yes!
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 10:50:06 AM EDT
[#35]
USP
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 10:52:44 AM EDT
[#36]
USP!!!  USP!!!  USP!!!  USP!!!  USP!!!  USP!!!  USP!!!  USP!!!  USP!!!  USP!!!  USP!!!  USP!!!  USP!!!  USP!!!  USP!!!  USP!!!  USP!!!  USP!!!  USP!!!  USP!!!  USP!!!  USP!!!  USP!!!  USP!!!  USP!!!  USP!!!  USP!!!  USP!!!  USP!!!  USP!!!  USP!!!  USP!!!  USP!!!  USP!!!  USP!!!  USP!!!  USP!!!  USP!!!  USP!!!  USP!!!  USP!!!  USP!!!  USP!!!  USP!!!  USP!!!  USP!!!  USP!!!  USP!!!  

Note they can be reconfigured in 7 variants, including hammerless, lefty ('cept the slide release which is really no prob), DAO, blah, blah, blah.  

There's the compact and full-size, too, and I've heard that barrels & mags can be switched in caliber, at least to a degree.

How much are they, anyway?? (Drool bib ON)

[red][size=4] P.R.K.
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 11:49:42 AM EDT
[#37]
I have to agree on the animal issue. If you can deal with black bears, the only other threats seem to be the first one, humans, and cougars, and maybe maybe a wild dog.

Using any handgun mentioned so far on a black bear would be a dicey proposition at best. I'm not sure I'd ever try a .454  IMHO, the best you could be sure of is one really P.O.'d (at you) animal weighing twice what you do or more, with tougher skin and bigger teeth.

What kind of bullet would you want, anyway?  If I had absolutely no choice but to shoot a bear with a handgun, I think I'd want FMJ unless I was able to stick the muzzle right on the eyeball or aim into the mouth, straight for the brain.  It seems like hollowpoints would musroom too easily in the hide and just change the bear's attitude drastically.

As far as cougars are concerned, it seems like any of the major calibers would be enough, and it sounds like they're not a factor for you, if  you know this for sure - they're not that easily spotted, I hear.  

There have been times when I was in their backyard and got this eerie feeling I was being watched, but maybe it was Sas-butt, though you'd think you'd smell him since he never brushes or wipes.

[red][size=4] P.R.K.
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 12:16:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Something made by Glock. That way if you lost it, who'd care [;D]
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 12:31:11 PM EDT
[#39]
When rver someone askes for a cheap, but quality handgun, I tell them to by a ex-police trade-in.  You get a Smith-Glock-Barreta-Sig that's been carried much, used little.  Any defects or bugs have already been corrected and it's been broken in for you.  Hard to go wrong.
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 12:33:13 PM EDT
[#40]
When ever someone askes for a cheap, but quality handgun, I tell them to buy an ex-police trade-in.  You get a Smith-Glock-Baretta-Sig that's been carried much, used little.  Any defects or bugs have already been corrected and it's been broken in for you.  Hard to go wrong.
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 1:18:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Great suggestion faris.
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 1:20:52 PM EDT
[#42]
This is for backpacking?  I would only recommend a Ruger revolver in one of 3 configurations:

1. If you want it to be concealable, get the SP-101 in .357/3"bbl./5-shots.
This will give you maximum use of the caliber in a small package.

2.  If it is to be carried in a belt holster, get the GP-100 in .357/3"bbl./6-shots/stainless.
This will give you maximum use of the caliber with a full 6-shots and still be of reasonable size and weight to be compact and not be a terror for recoil.

3. If you anticipate big and dangerous animals to be present while hiking/camping, then the Redhawk in .44/5.5"bbl./stainless would be the choice.
This gives you something that is legal to hunt with and powerful enough to get the job done.  I t would necessitate wearing a belt holster, if you don't mind having the peace of mind...
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 1:27:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Toris Model 85T titanium .38

[img]albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1003517&a=7384373&p=36299511&Sequence=0[/img]

Link Posted: 4/28/2001 1:34:14 PM EDT
[#44]
1) Used S&W .357 Magnum. I use a full flap holster to protect it. Maximum power for a cheap price.
2) Ruger 9mm, they are cheap.
I can't wait to start hiking again. I will carry my 9mm HP, but they are no longer cheap.
Sometimes I carry my Model 19, especially on a longer hike through lion country.
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 2:05:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 2:14:22 PM EDT
[#46]
RUGER P95 in 9mm, Great gun and cheap.

But for the trail a .357 GP100 revolver is what I would choose.
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 3:25:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Had a HK USP40.  Excellent pistol and totally reliable.  

My new pistol is a Walther P990.  Very satisified with it.  The green is cool to boot!

BTW, thank you AntiUSSA!

[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/001/ju/vZ/OM/FN53959.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 3:51:28 PM EDT
[#48]
I don't understand why you have to baby your Beretta 92?  I mean are you just trying to keep it nice, or are you worried about it not working if abused?  I mean it is the standard sidearm of the US military and many other countries, and has passed some pretty hard tests to get there.  I perfer Sigs myself, but I wouldn't worry about lugging a Beretta 92 around.  I did in the Army, and I still have a soft spot for the gun (it was the ONLY NIB gun I was issued in the Army).  

Glocks are probably the best value for a semi that can withstand punishment and not send you to the poor house.  I personally don't like Glocks, and I tried.  I owned a 17 and carried a 19 and never could get used to the things.  They never failed, and they worked great  It's just a personal choice thing with me.  No falut of the gun.

I'd personally go with a revolver, because it's the ultimate in simplicity and reliability and you can load all sorts of wierd ammo for the trail.  

Ross
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 4:13:23 PM EDT
[#49]
I like USPs.
I'm glad I bought
all those factory hi-caps back
when they were only about $39.00 (I thought
THAT was a lot back then)
too. Now whenever I want a new gun,
I can fund it by simply selling a few
USP mags and I still have plenty.
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 7:23:43 PM EDT
[#50]
It doesn't matter what kind of handgun you purchase, as long as its an HK USP!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top