Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2003 6:47:01 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 7:17:03 AM EDT
[#1]
No offense, but the Spec-V is kinda...hmm, I dunno, they just missed the mark somehow.

Why not go with the Altima V6?  If I'm not mistaken, it's actually a faster car than the Sentra.
Or wait for the next gen Maxima (not sure when they're hitting showrooms) which has lots of potential.
Hmm, just saw your "under 20k" requirement.
I know you said you're sold on Nissan, but for under $20k check out the SRT4 from Dodge.  That thing is a serious kick in the pants.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 7:23:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Here's a list of good deals and great cars right now:

Audi A4 1.8t
Altima 3.5(zoom zoom)
BMW 3XX - they are paying the first two months of your payments if you finance through them.

And how about buying out your car or getting a left over 2002/3?  Maybe with 6 speed?  They're practically giving them away right now.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 7:32:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Here's a list of good deals and great cars right now:

Audi A4 1.8t
Altima 3.5(zoom zoom)
BMW 3XX - they are paying the first two months of your payments if you finance through them.

And how about buying out your car or getting a left over 2002/3?  Maybe with 6 speed?  They're practically giving them away right now.
View Quote

Yep, and they all come in under $20k huh?
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 7:44:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 7:49:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Wave-

I'm looking at the 2003 Maxima right now.

Would you ask your buddy at the dealership what the current factory-to-dealer incentives are on the 2003?
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 8:02:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes, these cars can be had under $20k if you get certain models.  Personally, for $20k or less, I'd get a used car with 20k miles or less.  Specifically, the same car he's already driving, except with a 6 speed manual and navigation.  

Ray, don't downsize to the rugrat car!  I need to follow you on the LIE, not wait for you to catch up!
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 8:35:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yes, these cars can be had under $20k if you get certain models.  Personally, for $20k or less, I'd get a used car with 20k miles or less.  Specifically, the same car he's already driving, except with a 6 speed manual and navigation.  

Ray, don't downsize to the rugrat car!  I need to follow you on the LIE, not wait for you to catch up!
View Quote

I got the impression he wanted new.  Otherwise, you're right, at least in the case of the Audi
[url=http://autotrader.com/findacar/vdetail.jtmpl?car_id=130492373&dealer_id=5757938&car_year=2002&make=AUDI&distance=50&max_price=&model=A4&advcd_on=n&end_year=2004&min_price=&first_record=26&address=33304&search_type=used&advanced=n&start_year=1983&=&color=&cardist=6]autotrader[/url]

I didn't look for any of the others.
What is insurance like on the Audis?  When I looked at 3 series Bimmers 2 years ago the insurance was insane.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 8:39:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 8:41:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Wow, that 1.8t is a slow ass car!
[url=http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/new/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/20648.htm]0-60 of 8.6 seconds?[/url]

The sentra is quicker than that
[url=http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/new/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/20648.htm]0-60 of 7.2 seconds[/url]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 5:46:51 PM EDT
[#10]
My money would go towards a used Acura CL Type S.  0-60 in 5.6 secs, hauls cargo and as reliable as any other honda product.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 6:19:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Wave-

I'm looking at the 2003 Maxima right now.

Would you ask your buddy at the dealership what the current factory-to-dealer incentives are on the 2003?
View Quote

I have a 2003 Maxima SE and cannot recommend it enough.

With the UGLY as HELL (if I'da wanted an Altima, Nissan, I'da bought a damn Altima, and that's what the '04 Maxima looks like...A bigger Altima.) 2004 Maxima out, I'd think you could do well on an '03. Rockin car.

The look on the faces of the V8 domestic (truck and car) drivers when I smoke 'em off the line is worth the payment every month.
And, It's a Nissan which means that performance ain't gonna be in the shop evety month.

Good Luck

SG
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 7:47:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 8:27:15 PM EDT
[#13]
The Mazdaspeed Protege is a good looking, quick car and has a better chasis and handling than anything else in its class. I highly reccomend it. If you are willing to buy a used car, you couldn't go wrong with a low mileage 2001 or 2002 WRX. It would still fit in your price range and is a truly awesome car. Kind of like a miniture M5.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 8:43:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Save your money and buy a reliable used car.  Then start an IRA and a savings account with the rest.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 8:45:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 9:13:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I am a true fan of the WRX, I own one {2002 was the first year BTW}...

However, the M5 is in another stratosphere.  A mini-M5 would be an M3...[:D]

Link Posted: 5/14/2003 10:29:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 11:09:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Wave try the Toyota Avalon, much better built car.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 11:56:17 PM EDT
[#19]
I am telling you try the Avalon sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You will not be sorry, I have owned two of them and they are nice.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 2:01:04 AM EDT
[#20]
You wont like the Spec V's Rice Boi interior or 6-speed gearbox. The SE-R has a 5-Speed or Automatic. The 2.5LE is only available in Automatic. The new yellow is definately the best color for any 2.5 Sentra, and the Spec V is a Sentra.

I would get the 3.5L Altima, Silver with Black Leather interior if you must have a Nissan.

For about the same price you can get the new Turbo Neon. It's faster than anything under $30K. But being a Dodge it will start to rattle ina year or two and fall apart shortly after the warranty expires. It is a Neon, it's genetic.

How about spending a little more and getting a Suburu WRX instead?
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 5:50:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 6:37:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My money would go towards a used Acura CL Type S.  0-60 in 5.6 secs, hauls cargo and as reliable as any other honda product.  
View Quote

I have one of these & have enjoyed driving it the last 18months.
Your not going to get a 5.6sec 0-60 time unless it's a '03 6spd manual, only 2700 built & discontinued after June
(the slushbox is in the low-mid 6's)
The TL-S is the sedan version
you might be able to find a nice low mileage TL
[url]www.acura-tl.com[/url] [url]www.acura-cl.com[/url]
there have been some issues with the 5spd slushbox though

I like Nissan too, my 1st brand new car was a '92 SE-R, I wish I still had it
I think the Spec V would be fun to drive & extremely reliable
a friend of mine just bought a new 3.5 SE Altima for $22k , cloth interior & not many options but it scoots
what about a used '02-'03 Maxima ?
seen a few of those at the local dealer between $17k-20k with low miles

WRX would be great, I saw a '02 used silver wagon the other day for $19k with low miles at CarMax

You priced a new 4cylinder Accord or Altima ??
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 7:39:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Cnatra, I did mean the 6 speed, I think in manual transmission only, so I should probably try to explain myself more often!  The Acura dealership near Ray and I has some REALLY nice CL's/TL's, I think Ray and i have to go shopping at the very least and test drive these cars.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 8:16:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Being a Chevy guy for decades, I couldn't believe just how happy I was to get into a loaded 98 Maxima SE last year.

I'd stick with what works:  The VQ engine series has been recognized as one of the “Ten Best Engines” by Ward’s Auto World magazine for nine consecutive years.

Also, I think the new 6th Gen Max's look awesome (SE-R's are admittedly "cute").  Plus, they're now assembled down in good old Tenn.!

Link Posted: 5/15/2003 4:19:05 PM EDT
[#25]
What about the Toyota Celica, Acura RSX or Civic Si?
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 4:41:08 PM EDT
[#26]
How you like this Mitsubishi?

[img]http://www.arnold.af.mil/aedc/highmach/images/PADR01-74.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 4:51:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Mazdaspeed Protege is a good looking, quick car and has a better chasis and handling than anything else in its class. I highly reccomend it. If you are willing to buy a used car, you couldn't go wrong with a low mileage 2001 or 2002 WRX. It would still fit in your price range and is a truly awesome car. Kind of like a miniture M5.
View Quote
Mini m5?  I wouldnt go that far. The m5 has almost twice as much HP than the WRX.  
View Quote

That's why I said MINI guys. The similarities lie in thier neck-snapping acceleration, excellant tranny, and superb handling. NOT in thier overall size or HP.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 4:59:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

[url]http://www.arnold.af.mil/aedc/highmach/images/PADR01-74.jpg[/url]
View Quote

ahhh sooo

i no rike
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 5:31:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 7:24:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Ray just get a jeep
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 7:34:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

[url]http://www.arnold.af.mil/aedc/highmach/images/PADR01-74.jpg[/url]
View Quote

Fairly well built fighter plane of the time.  Shame it was used to torment us.

BMW & Mercedes both produced engines for the Germans...doesn't mean I won't buy one.

The Mitsu EVO and VR-4 are AWESOME cars....
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 7:46:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Hey for $32,924 I can totally "Rice-Out" and get this:
[url]http://www.mitsubishicars.com/images/2003/evo/build/evo03_carlightningyellow_build.jpg[/url]
[url]http://www.mitsubishicars.com/images/2003/evo/photos/large_7.jpg[/url]
[url]http://www.mitsubishicars.com/images/2003/evo/photos/large_1.jpg[/url]
[url=2003 Mistsubishi Lancer Evolution]http://www.mitsubishicars.com/MMSA/Model?ModelID=27&TrimID=103&DestinationServlet=Self&1053005505076[/url]
[b]AWD!!!!
271 HP!!!!
273 torque!!!![/b]
The only options I [b]DIDN'T[/b] check off was the 6 disc cd player, car cover, cargo net, and nose mask!
View Quote

Ray:

If you are going to go a tad higher than $20K and like the EVO, then check out the standard WRX at a touch under $24K.  Not quite as "juicy" as the EVO, but then again it's $8K less.

It will hand the Spec V it's ass in any environment.  The AWD might come in handy up there in NY....

I know you are mostly kidding about the ricen-it-out but here is a nice looking modded WRX:
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=1169[/img]

This is a "stock" class racer:
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=1168[/img]

Here's me in the blizzard this past winter:
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=7566[/img]

I paid $22K after a $1600 trade, car stickered at ~$27,975.  So they will deal.....
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 8:07:24 AM EDT
[#33]
I keep seeing a guy around town in an STi wagon, hahahaha.  I just laugh and laugh every time I see him.
I can almost understand people that mod their car to look unique,but why mod it to look like the thing you can't afford/have?
It's like the v6 mustang crowd buying dual exhaust and cobra badges, what's that about?
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 8:40:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I keep seeing a guy around town in an STi wagon, hahahaha.  I just laugh and laugh every time I see him.
I can almost understand people that mod their car to look unique,but why mod it to look like the thing you can't afford/have?
It's like the v6 mustang crowd buying dual exhaust and cobra badges, what's that about?
View Quote

There is a silver Impreza 2.5RS in Maryland that has had the full STi makeover that sports STi badges...in this case I would deem it OK.  I think he pulls 13sec 1/4 over 110mph....[flag]

Not knowing what is under his hood {stationwagon} I would say that it appears to be done as an idiot would do.....but you can buy the STi motors if you have the cash and skills to install it.

Link Posted: 5/16/2003 8:41:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

ahhh sooo

i no rike
View Quote

Watch it! I represent that remark....
View Quote

you're joking right?
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 10:44:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

you know they make a WRX wagon right ???
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 10:54:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

I believe he does, but they make no US version STi wagon....yet.[;)]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 11:06:26 AM EDT
[#38]
I drove a SE-R about 2 weeks ago when I was taking my sister out looking at cars... I would have likes to take the 6sp out but she only drives auto.   But all in all it was a fun car to drive.  If I was looking for a car, I probably would have bought it.. She probably would have gotten it also, but the salesman was a jerkoff. She wanted a Celica, but the Toyota dealer here was even worse(another story). so we ended up getting her a Merc. Cougar

As far as the [}:D][}:D][}:D]Civic Si hehehe  They forgot the H and the T when they built that car[}:D][}:D][}:D]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 12:05:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

I believe he does, but they make no US version STi wagon....yet.[;)]
View Quote

Yay! My nemesis comes to my aid!

And yes, I do know they make a WRX wagon, my coworker has one.
Another peculiar item on the "STi Wagon" I see is that he removed the "subaru" letters from the trunk lid.  You can still see the ghosts.  I honestly can't figure out what that's about.  "look at me, I have an STi, but I don't have a Subaru"?
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 1:22:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Thoughts? Anyone out there have one? Likes/Dislikes?
View Quote

This should give you a few ideas:
[url]http://www.molestedcars.com/rice.html[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top