Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2003 6:37:54 AM EDT
[url]http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/911274/posts?page=1[/url]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 6:49:51 AM EDT
[#1]
It amazes me that people could hear a plea for help like that and do absolutely nothing!  If I hear anything like that I'm out in the front yard with my gun and a flashlight before you can blink.  I hope their inaction eats at them.  Their inaction killed her.

Furthermore, WTF was this woman doing at a bar while her husband was at home?!  Didn't he notice she never came home?  I sure as hell wouldn't let my wife go out unescourted to a bar like that.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 7:16:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 7:55:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 7:59:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Being that she has a baby...she probably needed a "night out" after being at home since the birth. My wife had a "night out" this past saturday night. She was with her sister and several friends. She hasn't done much since my son was born, she quit her job to be at homoe with him. We dropped our income by some 60% with her quitting.

I can see where she was out late. It might have been her first night out in a long time.

I say it's possible. I don't know if this was a weekly thing or a one time thing. That is besides the point.

the point is one guy looked out his window and did nothing...and now he is saying HE is a victim..."I havent eaten in X number of days...never mind that my inaction killed a mother and wife....pay attention to me. Feel sorry for me...blah blah, blah"
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 5:49:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I know other states are different,but here in Oklahoma you can protect yourself,your mother or father,family,your employer,and other co-workers(whom lives are in imminent danger)!Per CCW.

If a neighbor I knew personally were being threatened I would put my personal life and freedom on the line!

If I didn't know you I would offer you protection,and a phone call!

If the perps fired on or threatened me then that would all change!

But I hope to think I would do everything possible to have saved this woman!

God help us all if we are ever put in this situation!

Bob
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 6:10:31 PM EDT
[#6]
In TN, the law says that you are allowed to come to anyone's assistance.  If this situation happened near me, regardless of the local laws, I would have come to her aid.  I also would have no qualms, what-so-ever about shooting this scumbag.  It does not matter that she spent the night at a bar with her friends.  What matters, is that someone assaulted her, she screamed for help, no one helped, and she is dead.  As to the guy that lost 5 lbs. screw him.  I hope he loses a lot more.  I hope he loses a hell of a lot of sleep.  And I hope it haunts him for the rest of his life.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 7:09:23 PM EDT
[#7]
2 years ago I was in a crowded cafeteria with 3 guy friends of mine, I am a woman, by the way.  Out of nowhere a big muscular man came storming in and walked up to a girl who was just standing from a table alone, presumably his girlfriend, and threw her into the table, then into a wall.  He then proceeded to tell her he was going to kill her and  punched her in the face.  I screamed at the guys at my table to do something, they said they had no place getting involved.  So I got up and somehow managed to throw him off of her, I have no idea how I was able to do that, he was much bigger and stronger than I.  I placed myself between him and her and he made a move to hit me, and I told him that even if she wouldn't press charges, I would, and that he needed to leave.  I took her to the campus infirmery, and of course she refused to press charges.  

Although there was nothing else I could do to help her, I at least know that I did everything I could to help her.  I will never forget the shock I felt when I looked around and realized that everyone was watching, but no one was doing anything.  At least 50 men in the cafeteria, and not a one of them did anything, even my supposed friends.  Needless to say, those people were never my friends after that, and I seriously question their friendship before.  I hope to god that there are men out there willing to stand up for someone in need, at least I know that I can stand up to the challenge when it presents itself.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 10:48:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
2 years ago I was in a crowded cafeteria with 3 guy friends of mine, I am a woman, by the way.  Out of nowhere a big muscular man came storming in and walked up to a girl who was just standing from a table alone, presumably his girlfriend, and threw her into the table, then into a wall.  He then proceeded to tell her he was going to kill her and  punched her in the face.  I screamed at the guys at my table to do something, they said they had no place getting involved.  So I got up and somehow managed to throw him off of her, I have no idea how I was able to do that, he was much bigger and stronger than I.  I placed myself between him and her and he made a move to hit me, and I told him that even if she wouldn't press charges, I would, and that he needed to leave.  I took her to the campus infirmery, and of course she refused to press charges.  

Although there was nothing else I could do to help her, I at least know that I did everything I could to help her.  I will never forget the shock I felt when I looked around and realized that everyone was watching, but no one was doing anything.  At least 50 men in the cafeteria, and not a one of them did anything, even my supposed friends.  Needless to say, those people were never my friends after that, and I seriously question their friendship before.  I hope to god that there are men out there willing to stand up for someone in need, at least I know that I can stand up to the challenge when it presents itself.
View Quote

Well, let me throw this out there.  Sure, the guys could have intervened.  And, they could have gotten hurt, although it would have been a noble thing to do.  Here's the kicker.  Chances are, that woman is a dumb bitch who actually chooses to hang out with that guy, and you will see them together again after this incident.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 11:09:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I hope to god that there are men out there willing to stand up for someone in need, at least I know that I can stand up to the challenge when it presents itself.
View Quote

There are a few of us left.  A few more are slowly discovering that they should choose manhood over society's desires for feminization of all that is masculine.  But most have succumbed, being brought up in a society where being a man (particularly a man who will physically confront others) is not only frowned upon, but is usually stopped by lawsuits by power hungry women.  This is part of why I have little sympathy for women wondering where the manly men have gone--they have been emasculated at birth by feminists.  You can't pick and choose when a man will be a man (and defend the girl you mentioned) and when he should be something more appealing to society (a really kind, friendly...coward).  He will be one or the other.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 11:16:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A long time ago, there was a thread about the girl(s) that were attacked in Central park and sexually assaulted by a big crowd of men.

You wouldn't believe the disagreements on whether or not to help those women (armed or not) and what to do/not to do.

Everyone is too chicken shit to get involved anymore because of lawsuits, criminal charges and a host of other BS excuses.   At least the neighbors could have called the cops if you hear someone screaming.  
View Quote

I beg to differ you let me see that shit going on and the world population will be fewer for a short time.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 11:53:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I have seen enough episodes of COPS to know that if you get involved YOU will be arrested for assault and/or obstruction of justice when the cops arrive. Then the victim could also sue you for not helping enough.

Leave the crime fighting to the trained professionals and everyone goes home safe.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 12:10:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have seen enough episodes of COPS to know that if you get involved YOU will be arrested for assault and/or obstruction of justice when the cops arrive. Then the victim could also sue you for not helping enough.

Leave the crime fighting to the trained professionals and everyone goes home safe.
View Quote

Yes you are correct 100%. That is, if it is the next apartment or neighbor.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 12:19:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's right, that 911 on your speed dial could have saved a life. No real effort or heroics, just a simple call to 911, saying that they heard a person asking for help. But for whatever reason that is too difficult for a lot of people.

Orignally Posted By GodBlessTexas:
It amazes me that people could hear a plea for help like that and do absolutely nothing! If I hear anything like that I'm out in the front yard with my gun and a flashlight before you can blink. I hope their inaction eats at them. Their inaction killed her.
View Quote

Please call 911 first or have the "rear guard" do it. If what got them gets you, where will your help come from?

Pet peeve, people hear something, take a while to figure out what they will do, then go do something then it gets worse or they think about the situation, THEN call 911, 30 minutes into an obviously bad situation. 5 minutes later the cops, ems, or fire people show up.

The caller then goes into the "why did it take you so long to get here!!!" sthick. If you had called when you first noticed something was wrong we could have cut the response time by 29 minutes...............

Link Posted: 5/15/2003 4:35:24 AM EDT
[#14]
We are still out here, when you least expect it and when you most need it we appear. Seriously, no second thoughts or guesses, I would have been all over stomping his face into the ground. Big, small doesn't matter to me, and matter of fact you were able to stand him down because he is a pussy....cat. He beats up on women, I can assure you the "big muscular" perception you had was only a front for cowardice. Good for you for getting involved, and glad you ended those friendships.

Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 5:17:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It amazes me that people could hear a plea for help like that and do absolutely nothing!  If I hear anything like that I'm out in the front yard with my gun and a flashlight before you can blink.  I hope their inaction eats at them.  Their inaction killed her.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
View Quote

You got that right.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 5:27:32 AM EDT
[#16]
A lot of people don't react to "help" because that's what they hear when someone is being "tickled to death", or when kids are playing or roughhousing.

I've always tried to push it in people's head that they should yell "fire":

People react quite differently when they hear the word "fire" being yelled.

Jay
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 5:33:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've always tried to push it in people's head that they should yell "fire":

People react quite differently when they hear the word "fire" being yelled.
Jay
View Quote

And also, if you have a gun, someone yelling "FIRE" would be appropriate.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 9:12:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
A long time ago, there was a thread about the girl(s) that were attacked in Central park and sexually assaulted by a big crowd of men.

You wouldn't believe the disagreements on whether or not to help those women (armed or not) and what to do/not to do.

[red]Everyone is too chicken shit to get involved anymore[/red] because of lawsuits, criminal charges and a host of other BS excuses.   At least the neighbors could have called the cops if you hear someone screaming.  
View Quote

Not everyone, I'm thankful to say. Last fall, a woman screamed in our neighborhood at about 1 AM. Turned out to be nothing, but by the time I made it outside, my next door neighbor was standing in the street with a baseball bat, and the guy three doors down was in his yard with his hand under the jacket he'd obviously just pulled on. The lady across the street was looking out her window with the phone in her hand, and the first squad was there within a few minutes.

We also had a purse snatching at a strip mall a couple of miles from my place last year. Two citizens chased the perp into a construction site, and a framing crew snagged him and beat the crap out of... I mean, subdued him until the police showed up.
I love living in a blue collar neighborhood.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 10:09:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Well, let me throw this out there. Sure, the guys could have intervened. And, they could have gotten hurt, although it would have been a noble thing to do. Here's the kicker. Chances are, that woman is a dumb bitch who actually chooses to hang out with that guy, and you will see them together again after this incident.
View Quote

I certainly hope that there are very few men like you around.  I understand the frustration of people who see women go back to their abusers, but this doesn't mean that they don't deserve help.  Most of these women have NEVER had anyone do anything nice to them, ever.  They were abused at home growing up and naturally felt that they deserved nothing more than to be abused at home.  Often times, having a perfect stranger stand up for them is the first step to helping them get out of their situation.  This happened to a friend of mine.  I didn't know her at the time, but she told me that while her boyfriend was beating her to death in an alley behind a resteraunt, 4 men pulled him off of her and took her to the hospital.  She didn't press charges then, and went home to him.  However, the next time he hit her, she remembered the 4 men who helped her, and believe it or not, it gave her the strength to leave him.  She had never had anyone stand up for her before, just the fact that someone did gave her the ability to do so for herself.  

People who think that helping someone in trouble is a waste of time really scare me.  Those same people let victims die, and find a reason to not even call 911.  Before the incident in the cafeteria, I had been stalked for 2 years by a man known to be mentally ill, who had been in prison, and was a suspect in a few rapes, one of which was my best friend.  I had a restraining order on him, but it didn't stop him from coming around, he broke into my car 4 times, he threatened to kill me.  Because he never technically laid a hand on me, the police couldn't do anything but help me get a restraining order, until I had him arrested an it turned out he'd violated his parole, and they put him away for 9 months.  They never did get him for the rapes, since he had attacked high school girls who really believed him when he said he'd kill their whole families if they said anything.  Once they got over the fear, it was too late to get any evidence.  He was pissed when he got out, and approached all of my friends and told them that he was going to kill me.  I ended up searching him out and confronted him face to face, and let him know that any attempt on my life would result on him losing his, and I never saw him again.  However, it could easily have been him attacking me in the cafeteria, and all those people would have done nothing, figuring that the dumb bitch deserved it, and would have stood by while he killed me.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 1:12:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Lost my post?
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 2:15:14 PM EDT
[#21]
thought i was witness to a beating once, in a boarding house, at college...
turned out it was their version of foreplay and they both told me to go get f-ed. [%|]

if a woman is having trouble in an abusive relationship there are things SHE needs to do to deal with it. involve police, get a restraining order, never go out alone, GET A GUN, etc. not the least of which is: DON'T DATE A-HOLES! my sympathy has worn thin.
yes, i am bitter towards women who choose abusive, egotistical scumbags for a mate and then turn to responsible, reliable fellows like myself to comfort and protect them when things get too scary.
no, i don't need to tell the story.

that been said, if i witnessed such an attack, i would likely intervene- and probably end up in jail or suffer a beating because of it. it's my nature. i'm sure most on this forum would behave similarly.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 6:40:13 PM EDT
[#22]
I thought the article said she yelled, as in singular, it's unfortunate nobody responded but it's a little overboard to damn these people to hell for it.

Be cautious John Wayne. I heard screaming outside of my home. I headed outside and to the apts just down the block. There was a guy holding a woman on the hood of a car. She was struggling to get up and crying for help. I kept some distance and yelled at the guy to let her up, he said he was holding her because she had attacked him. I told him the police had been called and he should let her up. So, he did. She kept yelling and within 2 seconds attacked the guy. I was so pissed I wanted to hit her myself. The guy pinned her to the car again until the police arrived. I was sure to give a statement she had acted as an aggressor. I was relieved I hadn't gotten physically involved because I had read the situation wrong.

Then there is the blonde who ran down the street yelling rape. A guy comes out on his porch to see her screaming and a black guy chasing her. So he shoots the cop and the drug dealer running from a bust got away.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 2:51:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
a big muscular man came storming in and walked up to a girl who was just standing from a table alone, presumably his girlfriend, and threw her into the table, then into a wall.  He then proceeded to tell her he was going to kill her and  punched her in the face.  I screamed at the guys at my table to do something, they said they had no place getting involved.  So I got up and somehow managed to throw him off of her, I have no idea how I was able to do that, he was much bigger and stronger than I.  I placed myself between him and her and he made a move to hit me, and I told him that even if she wouldn't press charges, I would, and that he needed to leave.  I took her to the campus infirmery, and of course she refused to press charges.
View Quote

Any time a woman is beaten by the same man more than once, it's not a crime, it's a lifestyle choice. Who are you to interfere in the ass kicking she apparently enjoys. If she is unwilling to do anything about it, by leaving the thug, or having him prosecuted, then you shouldnt trouble yourself.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 3:06:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 3:35:30 PM EDT
[#25]
BKinzey-"Be cautious John Wayne."

if your talking to me- i ain't NO kind of john wayne. cautious is my middle name. i only meant that in spite of my previous experience, i wouldn't be able to turn my back on someone who appeared to need help.  obviously you are the same kind.

observe, orient, decide, act. [;)]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 4:00:15 PM EDT
[#26]
The problem here is that it's New Jersey. This state embodies the emasculated male, only criminals have guns, me me me attitude that is common in such enlightened areas. My father in law lives in NJ and he has to get a permit for each gun he owns. It takes more than 6 months to get a permit. Then when he goes to get a gun his choices are pretty slim, and getting slimmer as their Democrap leadership has systematically taken away most of their gun rights. If you were to take action in a situation like that in NJ you can count on being arrested and charged. The people are subordinate to the government, axcept criminals, who abound by the way.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 10:28:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Dave Garren said a group of teenagers who live nearby have been known to wake up the neighborhood with their noise on weekend nights in the spring and summer. When a nearby intersection has been the site of late-night car crashes, he's rushed to help, he said.

In the case of the scream, he peeked out the bedroom window.

Garren said he didn't see anyone running away or any strange cars in the parking lot that surrounds the two- and three-bedroom homes rowhomes.

"It's been a real stark three days," Garren said. "I think I've lost five pounds. I haven't eaten in two days."
View Quote

I hope this troubles the man for the rest of his life.  To know that a woman could be alive today if he hadn't have been such a chicken shit apathetic bystander.  People like that should be prosecuted.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 12:10:00 AM EDT
[#28]
"We would hope and expect that members of the public would call for police assistance any time they perceive anyone in the community is in distress," Milavsky said.

Garren said IT'S BEEN UNFAIR for the Burlington County Prosecutor's office and others to be so CRITICAL of neighbors who did more than roll over and return to sleep....

(emphasis added)

[puke]

John
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 12:31:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everyone is too chicken shit to get involved anymore because of lawsuits, criminal charges and a host of other BS excuses.   At least the neighbors could have called the cops if you hear someone screaming.  
View Quote

I beg to differ you let me see that shit going on and the world population will be fewer for a short time.
View Quote

where were you when this thread took place? I could've used some backup.  I essentially said the same thing, i would tell them to stop, draw my gun and if any of them attacked me i'd shoot em dead...period.

Anyone know how to search Archived topics?
View Quote

I am sorry I missed that thread, I will not allow or condone rape or any type of sexual assault period.
I am backing you on that issue lostwildcat.[:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top