Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2003 5:28:51 AM EDT
What's the difference? Websters lists them as synonymous.  Are either of them dictated by society or religion, or some outside source?
Are ethics related to a professional code, while morals have to do with society as a whole?
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 5:42:48 AM EDT
[#1]
If Websters doesn't know the difference, how in the heck do you expect me to know the difference?[rolleyes]

[:D]

Link Posted: 5/14/2003 6:05:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Morals are what some politicians do not have.

Ethics are what some politicians choose to ignore.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 6:11:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Ethics are rules that govern the conduct of a individual or group.

A person can have their own ethics.

Groups can have their own ethics.

Morals are agreements in society on how one should conduct themselves. Religion can have a large influence on what is or is not moral.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 6:18:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I've always thought that the difference was that morals are based on a religious system and are thought to be handed down by God, while ethics are a mutually agreed upon social contract system of behavior that allows people to interact efficiently.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 6:42:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Ethics: 1) the science of morals in human conduct. 2)  moral principles (personal code of conduct)

Morals:  concerned with goodness or badness of human character or behavior; distinction of right and wrong; concerned with accepted rules and standards of human behavior.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 6:49:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I have always said that I have no morals, only ethics.  Someone asked me to explain that the other day, and I really can't verbalize it, so I thought I'd ask ya'll.
Here's a couple of examples of what I mean.
The only thing that keeps me from killing someone is jail and/or retaliation.  I don't think that it's morally wrong for me to kill you.  Therefore, if the actions of one person would cause me a fate worth than jail/death, I would kill them.  It's very simple.
However...I work in the construction industry.  My company allows work that I consider to be shoddy and unnaceptable to slide every day.  This contradicts my ethics.  It has nothing to do with a "work ethic", because I think "work ethic" is a scam run on the little people by "the man" to extract as much work as possible for as little reward as possible.  I also don't care one little shit if my work, or lack there of, causes the owner of my comany to be able to buy a new boat.  I don't believe that "they're paying me to do a job, and I should do it to the best of my ability".  Honestly my loyalty in this regard is to the building, and my own pride.  But I still consider that "ethics".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top