Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2003 9:31:11 PM EDT
I set it up and the source I used sayd 2 parts water, 1 part ammonia, and 1 part vinegar.

It says to ground the rod and put the + side on the rifle...

BUT: It makes sense to me to ground the rifle and connect + side to the rod because current flows from - to +

I tried my way and the light didn't illuminate at all (well if I wiggled it it would very faintly glow for a second)

But when I tried it their way it light up all the way, but in about 5-10 minutes it started oozing out brownish foam....

is this correct???

What do ya'll do???
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 9:52:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I rember reading about that on some website somwhere and they said that all of that stuff oozing out is the fouling coming out. I've been wanting to try that.

Found it:
[url=www.surplusrifle.com/reviews/copperout/index.asp]Bore Cleaner[/url]
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 10:42:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Hold on I thought that + side had the electrons that flowed to the -??!? Please explain.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 11:38:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Positive and negative assignments in electronics are purely by whatever convention a field/culture uses. Though physically electrons do flow from the negative terminal (electron flow convention), it is often simpler to do calculations the other way around ("conventional" flow notation / passive sign convention)

We use conventional in my circuits class, but electron flow in physics. Either way, you get the same result, but have to interpret the raw result differently.

I don't know the exact mechanism by which the arrangement works, but it probably deals with some form of electric force causing copper to dissolve in water, then redeposit on the rod. Probably electron stealing/giving is my guess, but I'm not a chemist.

The brownish foam is the copper fouling; follow the directions and keep going.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top