Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2003 6:48:39 PM EDT
Hey guys, I'm wanting to join the millitary and they have the weight requirements.  I'm 5'10" and currently 122lbs.  When I first started to try gaining some weight I was 118.  I've got to be a min of 127 to enlist.  I got a big thing of protein shake stuff from GNC and been mixing it with ice cream and milk in the blender.  One question that I have is should I be working out while I take this stuff like lifting weights or something.  Some people says yes and some people says no that I would be burning off what I'm tring to gain.  Anybody have any suggestions??  I need all input.  Thanks for any help.

Shawn
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 6:55:02 PM EDT
[#1]
If you don't work out you won't build any muscle and you won't get stronger...all you will get is fat.  You should definately be working out.

Now to add pounds really fast, eat Burger King 3 times a day, in addition to the protien shakes.  You will put weight on in no time at all.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 7:01:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Lift weights and build muscle.  Muscle weights more than fat, so even if you are burning off fat you should be putting on muscle.  Over two years I've taken about an inch off my waist and gained about 15 pounds bulking up my chest and arms.  I wasn't trying to gain weight, so I didn't do this, but you might want to up your potein intake.  Or just eat like a pig.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 7:02:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Try taking arginine, ornithine, creatine, and an amino acid supplement. That will take you a while (six months or longer) but it will put on muscles and weight, even without exercise. With exercise, it tends to boost the effects.

Those are growth hormone releasers, BTW. I took them and went from a flabby 165 to a very muscular 200 pounds over a period of about five years.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 7:37:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Supplements are OK. Nowadays, its popular for weaker(Scrawny) people to go from ~120-130 to a jacked up 200lbs within TWO MONTHS of going to a gym every day and taking $400 of imported steroids (from mexico, online orders usually).

If you take this route though, I belive it's prescription only, If your not scrawny, You can expect to go past 200lbs- just remember to eat ALOT (>3000 calories per day [when doing lots of excersize]).

Dont forget, Get a trainer, or ask someone who knows if you goto a gym.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 7:49:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Finally, something I know about!!

First buy as many Twinkie`s and Capitan Crunch as money allows. Next sit on your ass all day and you should see the pounds accumulating very rapidly. Thats all there is to it!!
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 8:13:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I used to be into power lifting for about 7 years until my knees started to give me trouble.

What you need to do is consume extra calories but in small amounts throughout the day, not one big shake. What I used to do is make a blender full of 1% milk, weight gain powder, 2 table spoons of flax oil and add frozen strawberries or banna depending on the flavors you like, drink that blender full every few hours, thru the day (keep it in the fridge) in addition to your regular meals. Don't eat fatty foods like fast food that will just hurt you.

Try this weight lifting program, it may look like it's not much but it will make muscle and not burn to many calories. Remember muscle weighs more than fat.

Start with a good warm-up.

Bench press 3 sets 8-12 reps = 3x8-12
Front press 3x8-12
Bent over Rows 2x12-15
curl 2x8-12
Squats 3x8-12
Deadlift (be very careful perfect form)2x12-15
calfs 3x20

Use enough weight to reach failure in the given rep range, when you get stronger add weight to the bar.

Do this 3 times a week (tues-thur-sat)

When you get to 10-15lb over your target weight, back off of the shakes some and start doing more cardio you will lean out to your target weight and be stronger and more cut.

Give it a chance at least 3-4 weeks and see what happens.

Good luck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top