Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2003 7:38:14 PM EDT
DU "Feelings" on sonar.

Am I the only person that has a hard time finding any facts in these statements?

Example: Sonar in the ---MHRZ range has been documented to cause a --- % increase in the whale beaching

I can't find any.

[b]
OregonGal (726 posts)       May-09-03, 03:55 AM (ET)
1. This just takes the cake!!!
How much more HORRIBLE can the US be? How many more crimes can we commit against humanity and the earth and its animals in merely ONE FISCALE QUARTER?!!!! To expand on what they did.....just think about a fish tank with simple goldfish or something. and how you are told not to even TAP on the glass because it disturbs the fish immeasurably. Then imagine booming sonic blasts?????? And think about what a sonic boom is. Remember when planes way back when would break the sound barrier? That's how powerful this crap is. Have mercy on the earth.....and then us. IN that order!
 Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Top

aunteeWar (290 posts)       May-09-03, 04:24 AM (ET) Reply to post #1
2. i agree
ransacking the earth and everything on it is not what being human is about---Respect is a keyword that is being ignored for the sake of fun and profit----There are serious consequences we as humans will experience as a result of destroying everything in the ocean , destroying numerous species of wildlife on land , bulldozing and burning rainforests --dumping in the air, land and water,----Isn't it obvious that all that is done, good and bad, has an impact on the future of this planet? How much intelligence is required to realize this?--not muchSo what does that tell you? Most people do realize and a great majority of them just don't really care enough to do anything about it.

izzie (2054 posts)       May-09-03, 04:56 AM (ET) Reply to post #2
3. As a kid we could see the whales feed off the rocks in Maine.
My father would call us and we would all stand in the sunroom and watch them feed. I grew up on the ocean front. I guess ir was as they were going or coming from the north. My kids could not see that. I am so sorry that we are killing off the great animals of the world.

1971 (28 posts)       May-10-03, 11:06 PM (ET)
4. Put the Navy Sonar team in a fishtank and BLAST THEM
That's what I say. I am sick of this kind of sh1t being perpetrated. Total disregard for marine life. Single-minded experimentation and use of technological "advances" with little regard to full environmental impact and consequences ... that's the real plague on this Earth. All those kind of engineers outta be jettisoned to some distant planet where they can play with machines and leave the organic Earth alone, before they screw it up any more.

1a2b3c  (3774 posts)       May-11-03, 02:27 PM (ET)
5. i heard it on 710 kiro in seattle
Too bad we dont live in a world where submarines with sonar are not needed. I wish they could use something besides sonar. Has anyone heard of any developments to replace sonar?

[/b]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:46:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I dont go there...I dont want to shoot my computer

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:48:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Is that guy unaware that when his father would call them out to watch whales, the US Navy had more ships in the water using active sonar? Do they think sonar is a new thing?

Idiots.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:54:10 PM EDT
[#3]
This statement is my favorite.  

I would bet money he has never taken a science class.

[b]Has anyone heard of any developments to replace sonar?[/b]

Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:58:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:09:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Sonar - in use for over six decades but it's only now that we're "ransacking the Earth".  

Pinheads.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:09:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I TOLD YOU ALL THEY WERE CONCERNED ABOUT WAS HOW THINGS 'FEEL'.

A bunch of emotional ooze. Anyone who knows anything about the Tao Te Ching can explain why emotions are form without structure. Absence of logic. The very notion they are led by their feelings is the answer to why they do not need, nor care about your silly, logical facts. Those just get in the way of emotions.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 3:19:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Oh, the humanity!  The humanity!  Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

These people obviously live lives that keep them sheltered and insulated from the real world.  They need to get away from their computer screens and out into the daylight.  So, if any of you happen to meet one of these "people", invite him/her to the range and show them what living is.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 3:29:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I can't go to DU; it makes me crazy.

The rumor that we've been hearing (not far from Cape Cod where navel research takes place) is that they are working on a new type of sonar that operates at different frequencies from the old tried and true sonar we all know and love and that large scale tests seem to correspond with whale beachings. I have no proof of any of this, and cannot present it as fact, but the rumors have been consistent for several years now.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 4:56:43 AM EDT
[#9]
aunteeWar (290 posts) May-09-03, 04:24 AM (ET) Reply to post #1
2. i agree
ransacking the earth and everything on it is not what being human is about---Respect is a keyword that is being ignored for the sake of fun and profit----There are serious consequences we as humans will experience as a result of destroying everything in the ocean , destroying numerous species of wildlife on land , bulldozing and burning rainforests --dumping in the air, land and water,----Isn't it obvious that all that is done, good and bad, has an impact on the future of this planet? How much intelligence is required to realize this?--not muchSo what does that tell you? Most people do realize and a great majority of them just don't really care enough to do anything about it.
View Quote

"I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species.

I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment, but you humans do not.

You move to an area, and you multiply, and multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. A virus.

Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet, you are a plague, and we are the cure."
Agent Smith
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 6:29:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

A bunch of emotional ooze.
View Quote

Excellent synopsis.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 8:15:43 AM EDT
[#11]
This little gem was my favorite:

[b]"Remember when planes way back when would break the sound barrier?"[/b]

Most people think that is cool.  OregonGal is afraid of loud noises.

Good thing, nowadays, we use only propeller driven aircraft so as not to scare the fuzzy animals with loud sounds!

Thunderstorms are predicted tomorrow BTW...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top