Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2003 3:00:36 PM EDT
My wife and I are remodeling our kitchen and want/need to replace all of the appliances. Our kitchen is Victorian in design and we were wanting stainless appliances that have a look that would be appropriate to the style of our kitchen.

We have done some shopping and have decided against the Sub-Zero fridge as well the Viking fridge since they are only made as built ins and we need a freestanding model. We are looking hard at the Viking Dual Fuel Professional Series freestanding stove as well as the Viking Dishwasher, Compactor, and built in Microwave.

Does the vast amount of knowledge here have an appliance section? Can anyone help.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 3:05:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 3:10:30 PM EDT
[#2]
AS I am a chef, and work in a pro kitchen..

The Viking appliances are good quality. The range is good, but in most kitchens we use Wolf ranges..they are easier to take apart.

Basically, if you go to the pro level stuff, you will NEVER go back to the regular stuff..it's just too weak
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 9:14:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
AS I am a chef, and work in a pro kitchen..

The Viking appliances are good quality. The range is good, but in most kitchens we use Wolf ranges..they are easier to take apart.

Basically, if you go to the pro level stuff, you will NEVER go back to the regular stuff..it's just too weak
View Quote

[size=6]AMEN!!![/size=6]

WOLF is the ONLY way to go. Viking is a glorified Whirlpool. I can tell you stories. I work on Viking, Wolf, Fisher & Paykel, Bosch, Gaggenau, thermador (didnt capitalize that for a reason) Sub Zero and Traulsen

Do yourself a favor. If you can somehow get a Sub Zero.... GET IT! You wont go wrong. I have worked with them for over 15 years and NEVER seen them turn their back on a customer yet.

WOLF is coming out with a Dual Fuel range this summer. I did the training on it and the thing is AMAZING!!

I have a WOLF gas range in my home and LOVE IT.

Dishwashers... go with the Fisher & Paykel Dishdrawer. It has two drawers instead of a door and pull out racks...AWESOME, and if the motor ever has to be changed, the homeowner can do it himself/herself during a commercial break. ITS THAT SIMPLE.

If you are spending the money on a high end kitchen... make it worth it! By not doing so its like buying a lamborghini and putting hubcaps on it.

There is a reason why chefs use WOLF. you can run into them with a Buick and they will still work. You will NEVER see a Viking in a commercial kitchen.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 9:16:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Paging Dr. Fridge.

Dr. Fridge to the white courtesy phone...
View Quote

[b]THANKS!!![/b]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 9:18:55 PM EDT
[#5]
OH I almost forgot. If you wont go for Wolf, Second choice would be a Dacor. they have some trick stuff as well.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 9:43:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Hold on here boys.
First of all wiggy if you want I can provide some pictures for you of a SUB Zero 48" all stainless model I modified into a freestanding model. It looks great and functions very well. It is very quiet and temp. controls are A++
next: Wolf products are pure bliss, BUT DCS will get the job done just as well and cost you several G's less.
Proof is in the pudding. Don't argue with me I am only speaking from personal experience. Those who may know something I don't simply state your facts.

Lastly Suction. You will need a good exhaust if you really plan on USING your appliances.
Again I need to recommend DCS here. They are the only ones that supply restaurant style inserts in there unit. and a very quiet 1200 CFM internal model. It will be a bitch to find the 10" exhaust ring since they do not actually supply it with the hood. Call their service department and ask them where you can order one. I can look it up if I have to I have the receipts somewhere. If somebody would host the pictures I can e-mail 'em if I can find them. at a later time.
Good luck wiggy plan on spending about 15K give or take for 48" models.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 10:24:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 11:22:36 PM EDT
[#8]
My dad used to be in the restarant business, and all he had was Wolf.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 5:20:09 AM EDT
[#9]
also don't forget to take into account the extra weight of commerical appliances when you do your remodeling. with lots of family in the construction business, i've heard plenty of stories where this somehow gets overlooked.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 8:17:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Another professional cook's recommendation for Wolf. Haven't had good luck with Viking(brand new french flats and convection ovens and older equipment) or Viking's C.S.
You get what you pay for...
hth, danny

Link Posted: 5/13/2003 8:49:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hold on here boys.
First of all wiggy if you want I can provide some pictures for you of a SUB Zero 48" all stainless model I modified into a freestanding model. It looks great and functions very well. It is very quiet and temp. controls are A++
next: Wolf products are pure bliss, BUT DCS will get the job done just as well and cost you several G's less.
Proof is in the pudding. Don't argue with me I am only speaking from personal experience. Those who may know something I don't simply state your facts.

Good luck wiggy plan on spending about 15K give or take for 48" models.
View Quote

What the hell did Wiggy do to you that you would subject him to a DCS??

Industry joke: Stands for [b]D[/b]ented [b]C[/b]hipped and [b]S[/b]cratched.

I have no problem with the product per se. I do have issues with the engineering aspect of the product and the customer service leaves A LOT to be desired and dont let me have to tell you about the way they treat their own servicers. That is from first hand experience.

Dont forget though, in my profession I only see the units that are failing. I NEVER see ones that are flawless so you as a consumer have a different view on it than I so I respect that.

Now about the 15K for 48" models, are you talking refrigerators or ranges. 48" Sub Zero Refrigerators can run about 6,000.00 BUT that is for their Stainless model. they do have a framed or an overlay model for cheaper. I like the framed or overlay because you can always put a stainless panel in it...if you scratch it, you can replace a 100.00 panel. You scratch a stainless model and you have to replace the whole door... 400.00 PLUS installation. OUCH!

Wiggy... Do your reasearch. DO NOT ASK SALESPEOPLE!!! they will only tell you who is the best depending on who is giving the 50.00 spiffs to the dealer. CALL YOUR LOCAL SERVICERS in your area... find out who is Sub Zero, DCS, Wolf, Viking, Dacor service... ask them who has the most problems and who treats their customers right. they have NOTHING to gain by giving you a BS answer.

Oh and to Whisper's credit, YES you can make the Subs into a freestanding unit with a side panel kit.

Link Posted: 5/13/2003 10:36:25 PM EDT
[#12]
DrFridge, I respect your opinion because you are in the business of servicing the items we are talking about.
So let me add:
Wolf is a damn good product! BUT in my home my range gets babied. It is not abused, beat, battered, spilled upon, kicked, scratched, slammed, or abused in any way because I paid so much danged money for it. I use my range to cook on. Sometimes alot sometimes alittle. Either way it will never be subjected to the tortures that a restaurant range is ever subjected to (BTW I have subjected some ranges to some real punishment while at work).
With that said, for the money my DCS has all the features I want and need at home and has thus far served me well. It is easy to take apart for cleaning, gets hot enough for my cast iron pans to be usefull to me, and it looks cute to boot [:D].
Beware the stainless scratches easy so only paper towels and grease lightning for cleaning purposes(YES this is a negative, for all that money I should be able to use a brick to scub it, and it shouldn't scratch).
The use of side panels on the sub zero is how I got it to look like a freestanding model. Looks really good to my eye and my wife is happy. Need I say more?
13K: $5000 DCS Natural gas 48" range with convection oven, grill, 12" backsplash, and glass in the main door.
$6000 Sub Zero 48" model 632 with built in ice maker, and two stainless side panels.
$1200 DCS 1200cfm stainless hood.
$1000 installation of hood  by HVAC company.
Customer service from DCS was good.
Customer service from sub zero was exceptional.
All products delivered scratch free, dent free, and put where I wanted them.
I had to install oven and refrigerator myself.
panels on fridge took about 2 hours to install, but my wife is anal about getting things absolutely perfect, so I had to go Sloooowwwww.
[url]cstorestuff.com[/url] Good prices but horrible customer service. Very hard to get on the phone. return calls whenever and sometimes not at all. Free delivery though and saved me  3k over local store prices.
Many HVAC people will not touch the hood installation, or will ask for even more money to put it up, than what I finally paid. Be aware this was all put into a new home construction a re-model may cost you even more.
Good luck, and if I missed anything, sorry.

Edited to add: You can haggle the guys at Cstore stuff some. I haggled enough to equal the price of the hood installation!
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 10:44:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Son of a bitch! I just realized I could have gotten an awesome full auto toy for all that money!!!![banghead]

Damn damn damn..............
Anybody wanna buy a wife? Cheap!
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 10:43:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Son of a bitch! I just realized I could have gotten an awesome full auto toy for all that money!!!![banghead]

Damn damn damn..............
Anybody wanna buy a wife? Cheap!
View Quote

LOL!!!!

Everything and I mean EVERYTHING you said was just about right on the money.

Stainless steel is a bare metal...IT IS GOING TO SCRATCH. I tell all my customers this and some of them go on to say "Well my salesman said that I can clean it with a scour pad and you will be fine" UGH!!!!

Not true... you have to baby it.

You got your appliances with out any scratches?? You sir are a lucky man. As I said, DCS makes a good product, I just dont like the way they treat the servicers.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 10:57:40 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm certainly not a Chef, but I did work as a busboy in a four star restaurant (103 West in Atlanta) while in highschool.  The owner once told me Wolf equals Snap-On when trying to relate to my knowledge of hand tools.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 7:56:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Hey Wiggy, I'm curious what did you decide on?
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:05:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Hey Wiggy, I'm curious what did you decide on?
View Quote

We got a Kitchen Aide fridge due to size restrictions.

The range (dual fuel), compactor, dishwasher, microwave and vent hood are all Viking. I think we will be happy.

Thanks for all of the help my friends.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top